Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    2080 Ti Strix OC overclocks only to +70 MHz on the GPU

    Initially I thought I am doing something wrong. But the card just won't run stable above that, even with power and voltage limit maxed out. This seems really odd to me.

  2. #2
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    124
    Posts
    1,806

    Quote Originally Posted by pegnose View Post
    Initially I thought I am doing something wrong. But the card just won't run stable above that, even with power and voltage limit maxed out. This seems really odd to me.
    Can you confirm what your sustained boost clock is when gaming? There's nothing untoward about a 70MHz offset. You can run the OC Scanner to see how NVIDIA's tool fares in comparison.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ASUS View Post
    Can you confirm what your sustained boost clock is when gaming? There's nothing untoward about a 70MHz offset. You can run the OC Scanner to see how NVIDIA's tool fares in comparison.
    Silent Scone, nice to meet you again! You helped me once with my unstable RAM and I am grateful for the time and patience you took back than to explain to me the basics of stability testing.

    I have currently set the card to max voltage and power limit, +70 on GPU and +700 on the memory (which is what a friend of mine can do with his Zotac Amp (non-Extreme), and default fan curve. With Unigine Heaven Extreme preset on loop the card is sitting at 1950 MHz at 70° C, which seems low to me.

    My friend's Zotac seemed a little loud, and I was hoping for a a bit more performance, too, as Jayz2Cents showed the EVGA FTW3 to reach a 40k graphics score in Fire Strike. I could afford it and went for the ASUS Strix OC, also because I wanted to control the 2 nearest case fans via the card. Now I don't even bother anymore. Plus, the fans sometimes make some weird deeper noise when they roar up. I was expecting the card to have superior cooling and noise performance, even when overclocked.

  4. #4
    Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    144
    Posts
    3,858

    Please list all specs including power supply and case so we can make sure thats not the issue. These cards will heat up the inside of a case quick, fast and in a hurry!

    Also list which card you have, if its the dual fan, that's about all you can expect. Ive had a pair of the 011G 3 fan flavors to +160 and that's about all she wrote on those due to hitting power limit. Maxing out the voltage can be your enemy with these cards. More juice will make you hit the power limit faster. Im sitting at +140 and max power with +20 on the Volts slider which seems to be a happy medium for me on air. This keeps it hovering right under the power limit and hitting it occasionally. with 160 hitting the power limit I get 2050 Mhz and with 140 just under I get 2050 Mhz.

    Again mine are the Strix 2080Ti O11G cards with the 3 fans.

    Just like anything else the silicon lottery plays a part as well. The reviewers are often sent cherry picked samples so the brand looks good in the reviews so you cant take too much away from that.

    Leave the memory at stock until you hit max core then start moving up the memory. Run Timespy and see what you get. Oddly enough Firestrike seems to hit the cards harder, at least is does mine and drops me back 55Hz
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-27-2019 at 09:07 AM.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Please list all specs including power supply and case so we can make sure thats not the issue. These cards will heat up the inside of a case quick, fast and in a hurry!

    Also list which card you have, if its the dual fan, that's about all you can expect. Ive had a pair of the 011G 3 fan flavors to +160 and that's about all she wrote on those due to hitting power limit. Maxing out the voltage can be your enemy with these cards. More juice will make you hit the power limit faster. Im sitting at +140 and max power with +20 on the Volts slider which seems to be a happy medium for me on air. This keeps it hovering right under the power limit and hitting it occasionally. with 160 hitting the power limit I get 2050 Mhz and with 140 just under I get 2050 Mhz.

    Again mine are the Strix 2080Ti O11G cards with the 3 fans.

    Just like anything else the silicon lottery plays a part as well. The reviewers are often sent cherry picked samples so the brand looks good in the reviews so you cant take too much away from that.

    Thank you for your advice and questions! Mine is a Strix OC triple-fan, too. That's why I am asking. My current specs are:

    - System: 7700k @5.0 GHz, ASUS Hero VIII, 32 GB 3600 MHz G-Skill B-Dies (CL17)
    - Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 (very bulky, lots of space) with 5x 140 mm fans installed
    - Power supply: Corsair CX850M with 850 W (I use two cables for the card)

    Even with VRAM at stock I can't stably go beyond +70 MHz.

    EDIT: Just ran the card like this:
    +20 Voltage
    max Power target
    +100 Core
    +0 Memory

    Crash in Time Spy after 3s.


    EDIT: Used the OC scanner (max. power target, everything else on stock), got even worse results. Now my Fire Strike graphics score is 37.353.


    EDIT: Should I re-flash the BIOS to rule out something is botched? Where would I get a verified v. 90.02.17.00.47? The ones I can download from TechPowerup differ from mine bit-wise, even if the version string is identical. - Ok, tried that. Did not change anything.
    Last edited by pegnose; 01-27-2019 at 12:55 PM.

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    So that's it, right? This card is just one of the worst overclockers among the Strix series. "Silicon Lottery". Why do I have the impression that "Silicon Lottery" is not really a thing for the average customer? Probably, the batch of cards went through so many pre-selecting hands that all the samples arriving at EU shops are mediocre at best.

    For CPUs there even is a company called "Silicon Lottery" which does it's best to remove the chance of getting good pieces of hardware altogether by scanning for good CPUs and selling them at higher prices. What a misnomer! Same with Caseking: never buy a standard CPU there. You'll 100% get a sample that is mediocre at best, because they sell the rest of them at supreme prices.

    Rant over. Card testing over. Refund.

  7. #7
    Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    144
    Posts
    3,858

    Lets just say out definitions of bulky are different.
    Suggestion to rule out thermal.
    Fans to maunal, drag sliders to max and pull the side of your case off.
    These cards get hot and dump a lot of heat. I have an Enthoo Elite thats massive and Im running with the door open until my water blocks get here.

    The rest of your specs sound OK. Double check you are getting 16X to your PCIE slot this is installed in with HW Info. First card to actually saturate X8.
    I doubt its the BIOS. If it runs stock clocks. Im just hoping your PSU is delivering the power it should as thats the only other thing I can think of.
    Can you run HWmonitor while you run a passing clock and again at failing? Also watch the meter in GPU tweak for power limit.

    If its not heat and you are at 16X you just got a crappy luck of the draw. If thats the case then Id try to exchange if possible. No RMA if it will do 1665. I have two of them and one runs higher as a single card than the other and its in my top slot, it will do 1820 while the other 1805. Id expect to get at least +100

    Check the the other things and post back

    Silicon lottery is very real. Some chips CPU and GPU will overclock like nobodys business while others wont budge past stock clocks, The latter is known as a spud. My 9400X will do 4.8 yet another user here with a 9900X cant get stable on 4.6 with 4 less cores.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-29-2019 at 06:27 AM.

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Whatever you say, Sir. My temps are fine. The card does not go beyond 70° overclocked and under gaming load. When it crashes after 3s it is somewhere in the low 50s, while I had set the card's fans to 70%. My CPU @5.0 GHz does not get hotter than 70° C while gaming too. My case is just fine, also 3 of the 140 mm fans sit in the GPU area. Two are intake (front/bottom) and one shoves the hot GPU air out to the side.

    I do get x16 while testing with GPU-z. My PSU is also fine. It ran two 1080s in SLI with a Fire Strike graphics score of 47k the last time I tested. Also my friend has the same PSU and his Zotac AMP outperforms my ever-famous ASUS Strix.

    Don't misunderstand me. I do not doubt that there is variance in chip production. I do doubt however, that this variance, particularly the top part, reaches every market on this planet. Too many greedy hands in between, can't do anything about it.
    Last edited by pegnose; 01-29-2019 at 07:29 AM.

  9. #9
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    124
    Posts
    1,806

    Quote Originally Posted by pegnose View Post
    So that's it, right? This card is just one of the worst overclockers among the Strix series. "Silicon Lottery". Why do I have the impression that "Silicon Lottery" is not really a thing for the average customer? Probably, the batch of cards went through so many pre-selecting hands that all the samples arriving at EU shops are mediocre at best.

    For CPUs there even is a company called "Silicon Lottery" which does it's best to remove the chance of getting good pieces of hardware altogether by scanning for good CPUs and selling them at higher prices. What a misnomer! Same with Caseking: never buy a standard CPU there. You'll 100% get a sample that is mediocre at best, because they sell the rest of them at supreme prices.

    Rant over. Card testing over. Refund.
    No vendor will give you guaranteed maximum overclocking potential between samples. Moreover, NVIDIA's Greenlight and GPU Boost 4.0 creates too many cravats to ensure stability under all conditions. If looking to achieve the absolute maximum frequency possible, fully fledged water cooling is the way forward.

  10. #10
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ASUS View Post
    No vendor will give you guaranteed maximum overclocking potential between samples. Moreover, NVIDIA's Greenlight and GPU Boost 4.0 creates too many cravats to ensure stability under all conditions. If looking to achieve the absolute maximum frequency possible, fully fledged water cooling is the way forward.

    That is true and I don't expect that. And the day I receive my first good performing sample of either CPU or GPU I will start believing that the silicon lottery is actually handed down to the average customer.

    I will sent back my limited Asus Strix and buy one of those Zotac AMPs where I can flash a 380 W bios and also go for reference PCB water cooling at some point. RIP ASUS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •