cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2080 Ti Strix OC overclocks only to +70 MHz on the GPU

pegnose
Level 7
Initially I thought I am doing something wrong. But the card just won't run stable above that, even with power and voltage limit maxed out. This seems really odd to me.
12 REPLIES 12

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
pegnose wrote:
Initially I thought I am doing something wrong. But the card just won't run stable above that, even with power and voltage limit maxed out. This seems really odd to me.

Can you confirm what your sustained boost clock is when gaming? There's nothing untoward about a 70MHz offset. You can run the OC Scanner to see how NVIDIA's tool fares in comparison.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Can you confirm what your sustained boost clock is when gaming? There's nothing untoward about a 70MHz offset. You can run the OC Scanner to see how NVIDIA's tool fares in comparison.

Silent Scone, nice to meet you again! You helped me once with my unstable RAM and I am grateful for the time and patience you took back than to explain to me the basics of stability testing.

I have currently set the card to max voltage and power limit, +70 on GPU and +700 on the memory (which is what a friend of mine can do with his Zotac Amp (non-Extreme), and default fan curve. With Unigine Heaven Extreme preset on loop the card is sitting at 1950 MHz at 70° C, which seems low to me.

My friend's Zotac seemed a little loud, and I was hoping for a a bit more performance, too, as Jayz2Cents showed the EVGA FTW3 to reach a 40k graphics score in Fire Strike. I could afford it and went for the ASUS Strix OC, also because I wanted to control the 2 nearest case fans via the card. Now I don't even bother anymore. Plus, the fans sometimes make some weird deeper noise when they roar up. I was expecting the card to have superior cooling and noise performance, even when overclocked.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Please list all specs including power supply and case so we can make sure thats not the issue. These cards will heat up the inside of a case quick, fast and in a hurry!

Also list which card you have, if its the dual fan, that's about all you can expect. Ive had a pair of the 011G 3 fan flavors to +160 and that's about all she wrote on those due to hitting power limit. Maxing out the voltage can be your enemy with these cards. More juice will make you hit the power limit faster. Im sitting at +140 and max power with +20 on the Volts slider which seems to be a happy medium for me on air. This keeps it hovering right under the power limit and hitting it occasionally. with 160 hitting the power limit I get 2050 Mhz and with 140 just under I get 2050 Mhz.

Again mine are the Strix 2080Ti O11G cards with the 3 fans.

Just like anything else the silicon lottery plays a part as well. The reviewers are often sent cherry picked samples so the brand looks good in the reviews so you cant take too much away from that.

Leave the memory at stock until you hit max core then start moving up the memory. Run Timespy and see what you get. Oddly enough Firestrike seems to hit the cards harder, at least is does mine and drops me back 55Hz

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Please list all specs including power supply and case so we can make sure thats not the issue. These cards will heat up the inside of a case quick, fast and in a hurry!

Also list which card you have, if its the dual fan, that's about all you can expect. Ive had a pair of the 011G 3 fan flavors to +160 and that's about all she wrote on those due to hitting power limit. Maxing out the voltage can be your enemy with these cards. More juice will make you hit the power limit faster. Im sitting at +140 and max power with +20 on the Volts slider which seems to be a happy medium for me on air. This keeps it hovering right under the power limit and hitting it occasionally. with 160 hitting the power limit I get 2050 Mhz and with 140 just under I get 2050 Mhz.

Again mine are the Strix 2080Ti O11G cards with the 3 fans.

Just like anything else the silicon lottery plays a part as well. The reviewers are often sent cherry picked samples so the brand looks good in the reviews so you cant take too much away from that.

Thank you for your advice and questions! Mine is a Strix OC triple-fan, too. That's why I am asking. My current specs are:

- System: 7700k @5.0 GHz, ASUS Hero VIII, 32 GB 3600 MHz G-Skill B-Dies (CL17)
- Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 (very bulky, lots of space) with 5x 140 mm fans installed
- Power supply: Corsair CX850M with 850 W (I use two cables for the card)

Even with VRAM at stock I can't stably go beyond +70 MHz.

EDIT: Just ran the card like this:
+20 Voltage
max Power target
+100 Core
+0 Memory

Crash in Time Spy after 3s.

EDIT: Used the OC scanner (max. power target, everything else on stock), got even worse results. Now my Fire Strike graphics score is 37.353.

EDIT: Should I re-flash the BIOS to rule out something is botched? Where would I get a verified v. 90.02.17.00.47? The ones I can download from TechPowerup differ from mine bit-wise, even if the version string is identical. - Ok, tried that. Did not change anything.

pegnose
Level 7
So that's it, right? This card is just one of the worst overclockers among the Strix series. "Silicon Lottery". Why do I have the impression that "Silicon Lottery" is not really a thing for the average customer? Probably, the batch of cards went through so many pre-selecting hands that all the samples arriving at EU shops are mediocre at best.

For CPUs there even is a company called "Silicon Lottery" which does it's best to remove the chance of getting good pieces of hardware altogether by scanning for good CPUs and selling them at higher prices. What a misnomer! Same with Caseking: never buy a standard CPU there. You'll 100% get a sample that is mediocre at best, because they sell the rest of them at supreme prices.

Rant over. Card testing over. Refund.

pegnose wrote:
So that's it, right? This card is just one of the worst overclockers among the Strix series. "Silicon Lottery". Why do I have the impression that "Silicon Lottery" is not really a thing for the average customer? Probably, the batch of cards went through so many pre-selecting hands that all the samples arriving at EU shops are mediocre at best.

For CPUs there even is a company called "Silicon Lottery" which does it's best to remove the chance of getting good pieces of hardware altogether by scanning for good CPUs and selling them at higher prices. What a misnomer! Same with Caseking: never buy a standard CPU there. You'll 100% get a sample that is mediocre at best, because they sell the rest of them at supreme prices.

Rant over. Card testing over. Refund.

No vendor will give you guaranteed maximum overclocking potential between samples. Moreover, NVIDIA's Greenlight and GPU Boost 4.0 creates too many cravats to ensure stability under all conditions. If looking to achieve the absolute maximum frequency possible, fully fledged water cooling is the way forward.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
No vendor will give you guaranteed maximum overclocking potential between samples. Moreover, NVIDIA's Greenlight and GPU Boost 4.0 creates too many cravats to ensure stability under all conditions. If looking to achieve the absolute maximum frequency possible, fully fledged water cooling is the way forward.

That is true and I don't expect that. And the day I receive my first good performing sample of either CPU or GPU I will start believing that the silicon lottery is actually handed down to the average customer.

I will sent back my limited Asus Strix and buy one of those Zotac AMPs where I can flash a 380 W bios and also go for reference PCB water cooling at some point. RIP ASUS.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Lets just say out definitions of bulky are different.
Suggestion to rule out thermal.
Fans to maunal, drag sliders to max and pull the side of your case off.
These cards get hot and dump a lot of heat. I have an Enthoo Elite thats massive and Im running with the door open until my water blocks get here.

The rest of your specs sound OK. Double check you are getting 16X to your PCIE slot this is installed in with HW Info. First card to actually saturate X8.
I doubt its the BIOS. If it runs stock clocks. Im just hoping your PSU is delivering the power it should as thats the only other thing I can think of.
Can you run HWmonitor while you run a passing clock and again at failing? Also watch the meter in GPU tweak for power limit.

If its not heat and you are at 16X you just got a crappy luck of the draw. If thats the case then Id try to exchange if possible. No RMA if it will do 1665. I have two of them and one runs higher as a single card than the other and its in my top slot, it will do 1820 while the other 1805. Id expect to get at least +100

Check the the other things and post back

Silicon lottery is very real. Some chips CPU and GPU will overclock like nobodys business while others wont budge past stock clocks, The latter is known as a spud. My 9400X will do 4.8 yet another user here with a 9900X cant get stable on 4.6 with 4 less cores.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

pegnose
Level 7
Whatever you say, Sir. My temps are fine. The card does not go beyond 70° overclocked and under gaming load. When it crashes after 3s it is somewhere in the low 50s, while I had set the card's fans to 70%. My CPU @5.0 GHz does not get hotter than 70° C while gaming too. My case is just fine, also 3 of the 140 mm fans sit in the GPU area. Two are intake (front/bottom) and one shoves the hot GPU air out to the side.

I do get x16 while testing with GPU-z. My PSU is also fine. It ran two 1080s in SLI with a Fire Strike graphics score of 47k the last time I tested. Also my friend has the same PSU and his Zotac AMP outperforms my ever-famous ASUS Strix. 🙂

Don't misunderstand me. I do not doubt that there is variance in chip production. I do doubt however, that this variance, particularly the top part, reaches every market on this planet. Too many greedy hands in between, can't do anything about it.