cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ringing sound coming from my laptop (GL704GM)

Franck1997
Level 7
Hello. Some time ago, I went on this forum and asked about a weird buzzing noise that came from the laptop. It turns out that the noise in question was just coil whine. Although that problem is fixed, I just started hearing a new sound, coming from the right part of my keyboard, near the right fan. I found someone else on youtube having a very similar sound with their asus laptop. I tried to look at the comments but the answers are a bit vague. My computer makes a very similar sound, but it isn't as loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9xAZAY1KvE

Is the sound a normal occurence for asus laptops just like coil whining?

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

steve888
Level 7
Hi, I just purchased this same laptop yesterday and I'm noticing a weird intermittent buzzing noise at idle, it's not that loud but loud enough to be a nuisance. How did you fix the coil whine?
I have not noticed any other noises yet but that buzzing noise is bugging me.
Thanks

TopOkay
Level 8
Franck1997 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9xAZAY1KvE
Is the sound a normal occurence for asus laptops just like coil whining?

Thanks in advance.

To me, seems a normal hdd noise. But what are you doing? When is not use it go on sleep.

steve888 wrote:
Hi, I just purchased this same laptop yesterday and I'm noticing a weird intermittent buzzing noise at idle, it's not that loud but loud enough to be a nuisance. How did you fix the coil whine?
I have not noticed any other noises yet but that buzzing noise is bugging me.
Thanks

Check this:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ge4#post749830

I can hear the sound when the computer is idle. When I want to play a game, I switch the computer to a balanced mode. When a game runs, the fans are so loud that I can't hear anything. However, when I don't play any games, I switch the computer to a silent mode, which reduces the power used by the computer. I tweaked it a bit so I couldn't hear the coil whining. But, as the thread's title says, I started hearing the ringing sound just recently after booting the laptop.

Franck1997 wrote:
I can hear the sound when the computer is idle. When I want to play a game, I switch the computer to a balanced mode. When a game runs, the fans are so loud that I can't hear anything. However, when I don't play any games, I switch the computer to a silent mode, which reduces the power used by the computer. I tweaked it a bit so I couldn't hear the coil whining. But, as the thread's title says, I started hearing the ringing sound just recently after booting the laptop.

So strange... have you checked if your hdd is seeking while the noise going on?

Alright, so for some unknown reasons, the noise is gone, for now. Now, the only way for me to hear anything is if I literally put my face right next to the keyboard. I don't really know what happened. I'll post here again if something else happens.

xeromist
That's just the sound of a drive head seeking. Normal and expected.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist
Your hard drive may thrash more if Windows is processing updates or indexing files. Once it completes whatever task is consuming the drive it should go quiet. So don't be surprised if the sound comes back.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Your hard drive may thrash more if Windows is processing updates or indexing files. Once it completes whatever task is consuming the drive it should go quiet. So don't be surprised if the sound comes back.

I think that makes sense. I just installed a game on steam just now and the sound suddenly returned. However, when the installation was over, the sound ceased as well.