Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C7H upgraded PC has worse performance on BFV, errors in Prime95 & Memtest

Chziime
Level 7
Hey all,

So I recently rebuilt my PC to the following:

Fractal Design Meshify C
Crosshair VII Hero (from an ASRock H97 Pro4)
Ryzen 2700X (from an i7 4970k)
32GB (2x16) TridentZ DDR4 3200MHz C14 RAM (from 32GB 4x8 G.Skill DDR3)
EVGA Supernova G3 650W PSU
EVGA GeForce 1080ti (The only internal part brought over from my previous PC)
27" Asus ROG 144Hz monitor

I work in video and 4K video editing with the Ryzen and working off SSDs instead of external HDDs is amazing. Very stable with Premiere Pro CC 2019.

I sometimes game, too, and I loaded up Battlefield V the other night. I noticed that performance wasn't perfect, dipping down to a subjective 45-60fps at 1440p at times. With my previous PC, I rarely noticed anything below ~80fps at 1440p. I was wondering why this happened, since I use the same GPU, and the 2700x should be marginally better, if not the same, than the i7 4970k in gaming. Also, when I'm exporting a video with Adobe Premiere, my CPU usage was a constant 100%! I ran Prime95 and got a couple errors within the first 5 minutes.

I then went and confirmed/changed some BIOS settings (I am a newbie at this stuff and never planned to overclock):

AI Overclock Tuner - Default (not DOCP Standard - should I try that?)
Performance Enhancer - Auto
Memory Frequency - 3200MHz (so it is at the proper speed)
Memory Presets - The Stilt's Fast 3200MHz 1.4v profile (was on The Stilt's "Safe" previously)
Core Performance Boost - Auto
SMT Mode - Enabled (was on Auto previously)
TPU - Keep Current Settings
Precision Boost Overdrive - Enable (was on Auto previously)
Qfan Control all on the Standard defaults
In Windows, I also changed the power plan from Ryzen Balanced to Windows Balanced.

In the BIOS right now, as I check this, my CPU temperature is at 48C... not great either, eh?

After all this, I ran 10 copies of Memtest86, and a few had errors.

Now, before I start the process of testing individual sticks of RAM, RMAing my CPU, etc, is there anything I can do in the BIOS to stabilize and optimize my system? Any other tests I can run? I would really rather not stress myself over this, as day-to-day usage, including video editing, is perfect. Thank you for any advice!
1 REPLY 1

gupsterg
Level 13
3200MHz on 2x 16GB may need tweaks to get working error free. So I'd roll that down.

Performance Enhancer set to [Default] means CPU will be as it should be out of box. What [Auto] may default to IDK, but don't use Level 1-4 unless you want an OC, OP in this thread has info on what the levels default to.

Core Performance Boost [Auto] or [Enabled] will allow PB/XFR2 to function, [Disabled] forces it off.

Precision Boost Overdrive set to [Auto] or [Disabled] means CPU will boost as it should using stock PB/XFR2 limiters parameters. [Enabled] is OC, as the limiters will be extended, so you'll see greater CPU MHz which your CPU may or may not support.

People believe when in UEFI it is "zero load" it is not (get a wall power meter and you'll see 😉 ). So your temps don't seem outrageous to me. Also be aware Ryzen has 20 on die sensors, displayed value is highest value plus some rotation between the sensors.

Use Kahru RAM Test in OS, then move on to P95 (again in linked thread is info on 2 versions I'd use).
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video