cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot achieve 5100MHz on my 8700K CPU anymore

evo4ever86
Level 9
Hey all.

On older BIOS's I was able to overclock my 8700K to 5100MHz @ 1.370v 100% stable using Cinebench and AIDA64 for stress testing. I could even get 5200MHz stable at slightly higher volts. Now I'm only able to overclock to 5000MHz stable @ 1.350v.

@ 5000MHz my idle temps range from 23-25c and full load can push to 75-80c.

For cooling I'm using the Corsair H115i "Extreme AIO".

Can anyone think of a reason why I can't achieve my previous OC's? I use adaptive vcore. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards.
evo4ever86.
16 REPLIES 16

JustinThyme
Level 13
With all Inquires please include full system specs.
MOBO
CPU
GPU
RAM
BIOS REV previous
BIOS REV current
RAM settings
XMP enabled or no
RAM volts
OS and revsison

Temps dont look like a problem but other than that cant even guess without system specs.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
With all Inquires please include full system specs.
MOBO
CPU
GPU
RAM
BIOS REV previous
BIOS REV current
RAM settings
XMP enabled or no
RAM volts
OS and revsison

Temps dont look like a problem but other than that cant even guess without system specs.

Ill go into the BIOS now get as much info as possible.

xeromist
evo4ever86 wrote:
Hey all.

On older BIOS's I was able to overclock my 8700K to 5100MHz @ 1.370v 100% stable using Cinebench and AIDA64 for stress testing. I could even get 5200MHz stable at slightly higher volts. Now I'm only able to overclock to 5000MHz stable @ 1.350v.

@ 5000MHz my idle temps range from 23-25c and full load can push to 75-80c.

For cooling I'm using the Corsair H115i "Extreme AIO".

Can anyone think of a reason why I can't achieve my previous OC's? I use adaptive vcore. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards.
evo4ever86.

Easy way to tell would be to flash the old BIOS. If stability returns it is the BIOS. If not then possibly your CPU is wearing out and unable to sustain the same clocks.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Easy way to tell would be to flash the old BIOS. If stability returns it is the BIOS. If not then possibly your CPU is wearing out and unable to sustain the same clocks.

The problem is I don't know what BIOS it was.

evo4ever86 wrote:
The problem is I don't know what BIOS it was.

Yep I certainly agree with u. Maybe I should flash back to the first release BIOS and work my up from there, what do u think? If I do decide to do that it will be a very long process! Do u think its worth it?

evo4ever86 wrote:
Yep I certainly agree with u. Maybe I should flash back to the first release BIOS and work my up from there, what do u think? If I do decide to do that it will be a very long process! Do u think its worth it?

Your not sure which previous BIOS ver you were running 5.1 Ghz ? If you can remember just flash to that bIOS and try it....if you cant remember and your going to meticulously try your OC settings on each BIOS ver .....that is pretty tedious....guess it depends how badly you want 5.1 ....me I'd just find 5 stable at the present installed BIOS and call it done.

rjbarker wrote:
Your not sure which previous BIOS ver you were running 5.1 Ghz ? If you can remember just flash to that bIOS and try it....if you cant remember and your going to meticulously try your OC settings on each BIOS ver .....that is pretty tedious....guess it depends how badly you want 5.1 ....me I'd just find 5 stable at the present installed BIOS and call it done.

It's kinda weird cos no matter how many volts I throw at 5100mhz it juts wont stabilise. I mean it boots into windows fine but as soon as I apply any sort of stress is BSOD'd almost immediately! I guess I'll stick with 5000mhz, an extra 100mhz aint worth the stress imo. I was thinking about swapping my 8700K for a 8086K what do u think? Do the 8086K's clock any higher than the 8700K's? Im guessing they dont. After all 8086K's are just cherrypicked 8700K's anyway.. so maybe,..

evo4ever86 wrote:
It's kinda weird cos no matter how many volts I throw at 5100mhz it juts wont stabilise. I mean it boots into windows fine but as soon as I apply any sort of stress is BSOD'd almost immediately! I guess I'll stick with 5000mhz, an extra 100mhz aint worth the stress imo. I was thinking about swapping my 8700K for a 8086K what do u think? Do the 8086K's clock any higher than the 8700K's? Im guessing they dont. After all 8086K's are just cherrypicked 8700K's anyway.. so maybe,..

Well, the cherry picking is potentially going to give you a better shot but I haven't seen anyone do a side-by-side comparison with multiple samples of both. Any single sample could be golden under either sku.

That said, my personal goal is great gaming. I will overclock if I think it will give me a better gaming experience but I'm not chasing the upper echelon. If you want to overclock for bragging rights then go for it. If you just want a good gaming experience that 5ghz is going to be plenty.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Well, the cherry picking is potentially going to give you a better shot but I haven't seen anyone do a side-by-side comparison with multiple samples of both. Any single sample could be golden under either sku.

That said, my personal goal is great gaming. I will overclock if I think it will give me a better gaming experience but I'm not chasing the upper echelon. If you want to overclock for bragging rights then go for it. If you just want a good gaming experience that 5ghz is going to be plenty.

Yeah I totally agree but im one of those ppl who want to extract as much performance out of their investment as possible. It's not about bragging rights either, as I said if I can get a free boost ill apply it all day long lol! According to AI suite ive got a 35% overclock which aint too shabby