ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array MoKiChU PC Specs
    MoKiChU PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Strix Z370-F
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 - 16GB (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC
    MonitorASUS ROG Strix XG35VQ
    Storage #1SSD Samsung 960 EVO 256GB
    Storage #2SSHD Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master ML240L RGB
    CaseBitFenix Enso
    Power SupplyCorsair TX850M (850W)
    Keyboard Logitech G413
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Mouse Pad PECHAM MPad-XXL
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z333
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

[REQUEST] ROG Strix XG Series Monitors Firmware Update for G-Sync Compatible

Hi,

This thread is dedicated to ASUS staff but everyone can of course intervene and express their experience.

On January 15, 2019, NVIDIA made its drivers (471.71) compatible with existing Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync monitors.
    NVIDIA called this G-Sync Compatible : https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...-announcements.

NVIDIA has conducted tests on 400 monitors, and only 2 ROG Strix XG Series monitors have been validated G-Sync Compatible : XG248 & XG258.

It is still possible to activate G-Sync Compatible on monitors that have not been validated or not yet tested.

For my part, I have an ASUS ROG Strix XG35VQ (DP) that I use with ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC and my wife have an ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ (mini DP) & an ASUS MX279H (HDMI) with ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC too.

My PC feedback (XG35VQ) : Monitors issue : Black screen when games start (sound of the game heard) > Off>On the monitor > No more issue (Off>On the monitor after the PC start avoid black screen issue when games start).

My wife's PC feedback (XG32VQ) : No monitors issue

My request is more general : Is it possible to hope for a firmware update campaign for ROG Strix XG Series monitors by downloadable utility tool to fix/improve the firmware of XG monitors to meet the validation criteria of G-Sync Compatible ?

Note : Some people will tell me that the downloadable utility tool is not possible and that you have to do an RMA. That's what I thought until now, but several other manufacturers are doing it now, and ASUS told him he could do it via an FAQ from 2018/11/13 : https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1036750

you can wait until later this year when a downloadable utility tool will be available to update your monitor’s firmware yourself.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Gsync Compatible and Gsynch are two very different things. There is not now, nor will there ever be, any user utility or tool for firmware update on monitors. A few years ago ASUS did give Gsync upgrade option for G751 laptop owners but that was a very different circumstance. First wave of same model did not have Gsync and second wave did. The deal was though you had to send your machine in for this FREE upgrade and what a thankless fiasco the turned out to be. As I watched the carnage unfold I thought the entire time what a nice gesture by ASUS and how could it turn into the cesspool it did. I made note that if I worked for ASUS this would NEVER be offered again. If you pay for Gsync you get Gsync, this is not a cheap option.

XG35VQ is Adaptive/Free Sync at just over $600, Dont know how good it is. PG348Q is Gync and $1000 and what I own. Now what of the people the paid for Gsync? If they give it to you for free that means they have to refund those who paid for it. Namely ME!

So it is now and will forever be pay to play (literally) in the Gsync arena. Thing is if your GPU can pump out the frames fast enough Gsyn does nothing. Im sitting on the technology and 99.9% of the time......Its disabled because you take a performance hit with on the fly adjustment of your refresh rate. You will never see any advantange from it unless your GPU is weak and cant maintain a decent frame rate which people will complain about that too with FPS dropping to 30 then find a place to point that finger at other than the simple fact they didnt open their wallet wide enough when building a rig. Performance is pay to play, always has been, always will be. Sure there is a whole different concept of bang for buck where its like Frames per $ but when your frames are 30 to $10 per frame and someone else get 80 Frames for $15 per frame it goes right back to the simple principle......you get what you pay for.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1GTX980
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Hi all,

I deleted a few posts referencing 3rd party validations which were a bit off topic. The question at hand is whether there is anything that can be done for existing monitors that may have compatibility issues with Nvidia's implementation of Adaptive Sync (G-Sync Compatible).

Assuming the same monitor works correctly with AMD's FreeSync it's possible that future driver updates from Nvidia could iron out some of these wrinkles. It is a first release after all. However, if issues arise from idiosyncrasies in monitor firmware then I suspect it's highly unlikely to be rectified. As Justin noted, products are sold with an advertised feature set anything beyond those is considered "attempt at your own risk". So if a monitor is sold as FreeSync supported and FreeSync works correctly there is little justification to change anything. Any changes risk causing additional problems and also require an investment of man hours which could have been spent on something else. So I could be wrong but I suspect we'll see very little effort from the industry to retroactively fix issues with G-Sync Compatible.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

MoKiChU PC Specs
    CaseBitFenix Enso
    Keyboard Logitech G413
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Gsync Compatible and Gsynch are two very different things. There is not now, nor will there ever be, any user utility or tool for firmware update on monitors. A few years ago ASUS did give Gsync upgrade option for G751 laptop owners but that was a very different circumstance. First wave of same model did not have Gsync and second wave did. The deal was though you had to send your machine in for this FREE upgrade and what a thankless fiasco the turned out to be. As I watched the carnage unfold I thought the entire time what a nice gesture by ASUS and how could it turn into the cesspool it did. I made note that if I worked for ASUS this would NEVER be offered again. If you pay for Gsync you get Gsync, this is not a cheap option.

XG35VQ is Adaptive/Free Sync at just over $600, Dont know how good it is. PG348Q is Gync and $1000 and what I own. Now what of the people the paid for Gsync? If they give it to you for free that means they have to refund those who paid for it. Namely ME!

So it is now and will forever be pay to play (literally) in the Gsync arena. Thing is if your GPU can pump out the frames fast enough Gsyn does nothing. Im sitting on the technology and 99.9% of the time......Its disabled because you take a performance hit with on the fly adjustment of your refresh rate. You will never see any advantange from it unless your GPU is weak and cant maintain a decent frame rate which people will complain about that too with FPS dropping to 30 then find a place to point that finger at other than the simple fact they didnt open their wallet wide enough when building a rig. Performance is pay to play, always has been, always will be. Sure there is a whole different concept of bang for buck where its like Frames per $ but when your frames are 30 to $10 per frame and someone else get 80 Frames for $15 per frame it goes right back to the simple principle......you get what you pay for.
    I know very well the difference between G-Sync Compatible (compatibility of VESA Adaptive-Sync / AMD FreeSync monitors with NVIDIA graphics cards), G-Sync (original), and G-Sync HDR / Ultimate.

Off>On the monitor after the PC start avoid black screen problem at all, very well, very smoth (G-Sync functional, verified via G-SYNC ON indicator), until next boot/restart PC.

My wife has exactly the same PC as me, configured in the same way as me (mirror, to facilitate the diags in case of problems), except that she has the XG32VQ and she has no problem, everything works perfectly well, so it is seem a problem specific to XG35VQ. Need a drivers/firmwares update of XG35VQ monitor, Manuel from NVIDIA said that "We were able to reproduce this but it may be a monitor scalar issue" :

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelGuzmanNV
    Quote Originally Posted by MoKiChU
    Hi Manuel,

Concerning this issue : https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...97395/#5997395

Could you bring us news please ?
    I don't really have an update on a possible fix unfortunately. We were able to reproduce this but it may be a monitor scalar issue. Our software team still needs to look into this.
    Source : https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...99643/#5999643

Please Raja@ASUS, Silent Scone@ASUS, MasterC@ASUS ...

MoKiChU PC Specs
    CaseBitFenix Enso
    Keyboard Logitech G413
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Hi everyone,

If you need, like me, to change the monitor input and then go back to DP (or turn off and on your monitor) to make your monitor work fully with G-Sync Compatible and avoid issue, I've tinker something automatic via DDC/CI and faster than a manual action (until it's fixed, if it's fixed one day), here is if it can help you :

- If you have multiple HDMI ports on your monitor : Look at the monitor specifications which is the HDMI port that is the oldest generation (usually this is the latest HDMI port, for me for example : HDMI-1 = v2.0 & HDMI-2 = v1.4) and take note of that (unless there is no generation difference between the HDMI ports).
    - Download and unzip the latest version of ControlMyMonitor (Portable / No installation) : https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/controlmymonitor.zip
    - Place ControlMyMonitor.exe wherever you want
    - Launch ControlMyMonitor.exe
    - Select your monitor from the drop-down menu (if it is not selected automatically) Take note of the "\\.\DISPLAYx\Monitorx" (for me for example it's "\\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0")
    - Click Refresh button
    - Go to the line VCP Code : 60 / VCP Code Name : Input Select
    - Take note of the Current Value, it's your DisplayPort (for me for example it's 15)
    - Take note of the Possible Values other than your DisplayPort (for me for example it's 17, 18 & 19)
    - Determine which Possible Values ​​match your HDMI ports by trying them one by one by double clicking on the line VCP Code : 60 / VCP Code Name : Input Select*(For me it gave 17 = HDMI-1 (v2.0) & 18 = HDMI-2 (v1.4))
    - Now close ControlMyMonitor.exe
    - Right click on your Start button > Search > Type Task Scheduler > Open Task Scheduler
    - Move to Task Scheduler Library > Click Create Basic Task... (right in the Actions menu)
    - Name : Whatever, I called it InputAutoSwitcher > Next
    - When do you want the task to start ? : When I log on > Next
    - What do you want the task to perform ? : Start a program > Next
    - Program/script : Browse... > Select your ControlMyMonitor.exe where you have it
    - Add arguments (replace DISPLAY1\Monitor0 and 18 (my HDMI-2 / the oldest HDMI gen) according to your case) :

/SetValue "\\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0" 60 18
    - Next > Check the box Open the Properties dialog for this task when I click Finish > Finish
    - In the Properties, go to the Actions tab > New...
    - Program/script : Browse... > Select your ControlMyMonitor.exe where you have it
    - Add arguments (replace DISPLAY1\Monitor0 and 15 (my DP) according to your case) :

/SetValue "\\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0" 60 15
    - OK > OK > Now close Task Scheduler and restart your PC
    - Done !