Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array masterac's Avatar

how to check which stick of ram is bad ?

after so many BSOD that i can't count, multiple error at boot, and the fact that they are becoming more regular, i thought to myself.....hold on, if my pc shutdown even before i get in windows, that mean something is bad somewhere on the board and not a driver or software ....even thow most of the bsod i get are something something :

-BAD DRIVER
    -CPU ERROR
    -KERNEL CRASH
    -GPU ERROR
    -GPU DRIVER ERROR

so yeah, i have been completly ignoring that maybe one of my stick is so bad that it can work for hours sometime, and sometime crash on crash.

lately when i was playing 2 different game it would either

for game 1,
    close it and that would be the end of it, i just ended up back in windows and could launch it again or do other things and it would be fine.

for game 2,
    game would freeze from time to time, but working, then after few hours of play, went to bed, 8 hours later try to play again then everytime it would freeze the whole pc.

so i took out all of my ram exept for 1 stick, and so fare, the only issue i had was a bit of lag in game 1 because of the complexicy of it, but no closing of any kind or crash

now after few hours, still nothing, computer doesn't show any bsod so i am going to try game 2 and see if it work

after that i will try the same procedure with another stick, then i will slowly puting them in all together

but i am sure there is a better way to test eah stick individualy.

so any idea ?

whats my ram ?
    my ram is 4 stick of the same kit of 64 gb dd4 from gskill. rated 3600 mhz, but i nevered overclocked it.

thank you to anyone that will help me ending up months of suffering not knowing what waw wrong with it, i was almost ready to buy another kit, but at 900 euro for it, i wanted to be sure that i wasn't throwing money down the drain.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array feedmeink PC Specs
    feedmeink PC Specs
    MotherboardX299 Rampage vi extreme
    ProcessorI9 7980xe
    Memory (part number)Corsair vengeance lpx 4000mhz 32gb (2x16gb)
    Graphics Card #1Ek waterblock vega 56
    Storage #1Samsung 970pro 1tb m.2
    CPU CoolerEk full monoblock
    CaseLian li pc-011 dynamic
    Power SupplyEvga 1200 watt platinum
    OS Windows 10

Is ram set to 3600 in bios? Or just standard with no changes? Is your CPU overclocked? If you are only concerned with testing ram for errors, I use memtest pro and a program called ramtest. Ramtest tests quickly and also stresses cache for cpu. Memtestpro is good at catching errors also

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Feedmeink already said most of it but I'll just add that HCI Memtest doesn't require you to purchase the pro version and has a free version. The Pro version isn't expensive though. That is the easiest way to test individual sticks: put one in, run memtest

Regarding your stability, sometimes you might find 4 sticks unstable on the same settings but all test fine individually. This could be an indication you are asking too much of the integrated memory controller on the CPU. You either need to clock the memory lower, loosen timings, or increase memory controller voltages (BE CAREFUL)
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    Feedmeink already said most of it but I'll just add that HCI Memtest doesn't require you to purchase the pro version and has a free version. The Pro version isn't expensive though. That is the easiest way to test individual sticks: put one in, run memtest

Regarding your stability, sometimes you might find 4 sticks unstable on the same settings but all test fine individually. This could be an indication you are asking too much of the integrated memory controller on the CPU. You either need to clock the memory lower, loosen timings, or increase memory controller voltages (BE CAREFUL)
    i bought the pro version few years bach, what i didn't know is that the link only work 7 hours, i wrote back to the site asking for another one, so far no response, does anyone got it and can send it to me ?

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

I agree that's annoying. I'm not going to violate their license though. Hopefully they get back to you.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array ThrashZone PC Specs
    ThrashZone PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS x99 sabertooth & x299 Rampage VI Apex
    Processori7-5930k & i9-9940x
    Memory (part number)Trident-Z 3200C14 & Trident-Z 3600C16 both Samsung B-Dies
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1080ti FTW3 water block & Titan Xp copper water block
    MonitorAOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz & ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
    Storage #12-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2 & 2.5" ssd's 850 pro's for os 850 evo for games
    Storage #22-LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
    CPU Coolerx99 2-240GTX with Heatkiller-4-Pro/ vrm water block Both&x299 2-280GTX 2-D5's before and after rads
    Case2- Corsair 450D with second floors for 240GTX & 280GTX rads enclosed and filtered on top
    Power SupplyEVGA 1000P2 & EVGA 1200P2
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum & Logitech G710+
    Mouse 2-Red dragon Perdition
    OS Win-7 & win-10 pro on both systems Win-7 everyday os
    Accessory #1 Heatkiller 4 Pro copper plexi/Optimus Foundation copper plexi
    Accessory #2 Mayhems Biocide and Inhibitor with distilled water
    Accessory #3 Mayhems 3/8-5/8" clear soft tubing

Hi,
    There are free memory tests too
    memtest86+ also memtest86
    DDR4 some actually say memtest86 is best
    But just make a cd/ flash drive with it and boot to it with two sticks and see what happens
    No errors do the other two
    No errors do all four.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...memtest86.html

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    I agree that's annoying. I'm not going to violate their license though. Hopefully they get back to you.

its ok, they send me a mail with it inside, i will run it all night with one stick to see....what stick, get it ?

so i got memtest running for the stick installed, 5 instance, 3 at 600 %, 1 at 800 % and 1 at 2700 %, do i need to test more to get at least 1000 % for the others ? i didn't have any blue screen since i passed on 1 stick.

game are working, some lag when there are cut scene but nothing close to freeze, i suppose its also because i only have 16gb right now.

so i switch it for another, do the same thing, until i get each one of them separatly ? or i can start going up now and use the pc with 32gb if the next stick doesn't bug out ?
    Last edited by masterac; 01-30-2019 at 05:07 PM.

since i run a threadripper, can i run smaller quantity of ram but on more instance ? i suppose the one already at 2700% is the one only running 848 mb

======== Starting new MemTest session ========
    MemTest PRO 6.1 (c) 2018, HCI Design (http://hcidesign.com/memtest)
    NOTE: greater than 100% coverage is possible. Each 100% indicates a thorough testing of all allocated RAM, however, intermittent errors may take multiple 100% cycles to be detected.

[16200] Tue Jan 29 23:35:42 2019 >> Test started. Allocated 2711 MB of memory for testing.

NOTE: greater than 100% coverage is possible. Each 100% indicates a thorough testing of all allocated RAM, however, intermittent errors may take multiple 100% cycles to be detected.

[8704] Wed Jan 30 03:09:18 2019 >> Test started. Allocated 848 MB of memory for testing.

[17384] Wed Jan 30 03:09:18 2019 >> Test started. Allocated 3397 MB of memory for testing.

[8712] Wed Jan 30 03:09:18 2019 >> Test started. Allocated 3397 MB of memory for testing.

[16456] Wed Jan 30 03:09:18 2019 >> Test started. Allocated 3396 MB of memory for testing.

xeromist PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Mouse Logitech MX500

Depends what you want to test. If you want to know if any given stick is faulty then test them individually. If you want to start stressing the IMC then start adding more sticks.

And yes you can run smaller instances to better leverage the CPU. It should run faster meaning more coverage or less waiting for the same coverage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast