cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadwell-E expirienced overclocking help needed

wonderin
Level 8
hey pro overlockers, noob needs some advices here.

Recently I've decided to push my 6850k a bit further (within the common sense).

For 2 years it's been running @4000 mhz all cores via XMP profile for my 3000mhz ram (with 3125 cache). Xmp changes the blck to 125 (as far as I know, broadwell-E are stable with high frequency RAM at 125 bclk) and vcore to 1.222.
I've tried to push it a bit to 4.250, setting 1.282 value to vcore manually, seems stable. mobo is strix x99, temperatures are sitting <60c after 30 mins realbench stress test (with nzxt kraken x62).

I'm wondering, should I also change other settings like vcore offset agent etc., should I overlock cache?
And, in general, should I push frequency further regarding I'm mostly playing competetive games and working with Adobe software (AE, PS, IL)?

Just trying to understand my cpu/system better. like a good parent :)*
51 REPLIES 51

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Off your voltages you posted on ocn these items are too high take them off Auto
Shouldn't be over 1.2v any of them especially not vccio cpu should be set to 1.05v it's standard voltage same as vccio pch which is in that range
System agent = vccsa you shouldn't need more than it's standard voltage which will show up if you highlight the item in bios probably 1.0v
Cache also should be way lower I'd use it's standard too if on auto cache min and max.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Off your voltages you posted on ocn these items are too high take them off Auto
Shouldn't be over 1.2v any of them especially not vccio cpu should be set to 1.05v it's standard voltage same as vccio pch which is in that range
System agent = vccsa you shouldn't need more than it's standard voltage which will show up if you highlight the item in bios probably 1.0v
Cache also should be way lower I'd use it's standard too if on auto cache min and max.

Hi ThrashZone,

You've got me here my friend 🙂

according to Raja bw-e overclocking guide:

"CPU System Agent: The System Agent is responsible for handling IO between the CPU and other domains. From an overclocking perspective, the System Agent voltage is especially important for memory overclocking. By default, can only be changed by an offset. To obtain access to Manual Mode, the Fully Manual Mode option must be set to Enabled. For memory speeds over DDR4-3000 or if using high-density memory kits, voltages up to 1.30V may be required. Some CPUs have “weak” memory controllers that require elevated voltages to maintain stability. If possible, do not venture too far from 1.30V as a maximum."

https://edgeup.asus.com/2016/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/5/

I'm really confused about misleading information...

maybe you are missing something about these specific CPUs, or i'm being too noobish.. *Should I change what you've said and then run the stresstest and check those voltages again?

and should I overclock cpu/cache more than it already is in your opinion?

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
With all respect to RaJa he really does not keep hardware very long to know how long it takes to fry a cpu 😄

Not that 1.3v core voltage is bad if one can cool it
1.25v vccio cpu is bad long term and possibly short term where as it's hasswell-e counter part uses 1.05v pretty much all the time it standard default but that is only from bios 2101 back
All new broadwell-e bios push vccio cpu way too high.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
With all respect to RaJa he really does not keep hardware very long to know how long it takes to fry a cpu 😄

1.25v vccio cpu is bad long term and possibly short term where as it's hasswell-e counter part uses 1.05v pretty much all the time it standard default but that is only from bios 2101 back

ok, now I get your point sir 🙂

still couple questions remaining:

1. Should I change what you've said and then run the stresstest and check those voltages again and give you a shot?

2. Should I overclock cpu/cache more than it already is in your opinion?

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,

I’m still using the CPU I used to write that guide in my daily rig, and it’s switched on for 15-20 hours per day. 😉

How long have you been running a Broadwell-E CPU? I should add the the CPU I have has spent most of the past 2.5 years overclocked within the confines cited in my guide and continues to be a reliable workhorse.

Please don’t make assumptions. 🙂

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I’m still using the CPU I used to write that guide in my daily rig, and it’s switched on for 15-20 hours per day. 😉

How long have you been running a Broadwell-E CPU? I should add the the CPU I have has spent most of the past 2.5 years overclocked within the confines cited in my guide and continues to be a reliable workhorse.

can you please give me your ANY opinion about my OC issues (if i do have them)?*

lots of people tell me that i should decrease bclk to 100 and some of the voltages, my rig worked with turned xmp on straight after the build for almost two years and is being ok, but when i try to change just multiplier to 35, bios changes voltsge way above 1.3, and but i'm just getting more confused

Raja@ASUS wrote:

Hi,
I find that hard to believe seeing all the newer chips out now but okay

What is the reasoning if you'd be so kind for the vccio cpu voltage spike on broardwell-e bios
1.240v is a tad drastic from haswell-e 2101 bios which vccio cpu stays pretty much at 1.05v

Just increasing memory frequency shoots vccio cpu to 1.24v+ on any bios above 2101.
If memory frequency is default vccio cpu stays within 1.05v as it should always be +-

Many chips have been toasted and reported on the broadwell-e thread at ocn not too many reports in a while but i do find it very odd for this spike in voltage.
Some say could be too much cache voltage or frequency could of also fried these chips too

Funny when a chip fries nobody can really recall settings beside auto voltages were used 😄
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
I find that hard to believe seeing all the newer chips out now but okay

I play with lots of hardware, but not everything becomes my daily rig.

Just curious, how long have you been rocking a BW-E chip?

ThrashZone wrote:

What is the reasoning if you'd be so kind for the vccio cpu voltage spike on broardwell-e bios
1.240v is a tad drastic from haswell-e 2101 bios which vccio cpu stays pretty much at 1.05v

The auto rules are there to account for the worst case CPUs. That’s always the reasoning.

ThrashZone wrote:

Many chips have been toasted and reported on the broadwell-e thread at ocn not too many reports in a while but i do find it very odd for this spike in voltage.
Some say could be too much cache voltage or frequency could of also fried these chips too

Funny when a chip fries nobody can really recall settings beside auto voltages were used 😄

Internet, hearsay, assumptions....need one say more? What I can say for sure is that high core or cache voltage mixed with hours of AVX-enabled Prime95 are not a good mix. Yep, we test these things in our labs.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
I would yes limit
vccio cpu
vccsa=system agent
Cache voltage
All lower than 1.2v this should not be passed at all imho
System agent really shouldn't need more than 1.0v

Cache depends on the max cache used how much it might need but still 1.2v should be a limit
Max cache not really sure what it should be you have to post a cpu-z validate and submit link here to see where you are at now

I wouldn't pass max cache of 35 though and well under 1.2v

Then yes just do some stress tests and or benchmarks and see how it goes.

Your input voltage looks okay by the way 1.95v should not be passed though I usually keep it well under that and use llc-4 or 5.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]