cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X intermitent failure to post

mgrobins
Level 7
Hi,

I have a Maximus X Hero with 8700k, 32GB RAM (on compatible list). Latest Bios.

I am finding that on some cold boots the PC fails to post. SOmetimes the fans ramp up to max and stay there and others they ramp down to the bios set values but still no video signal or progression to boot.

Also, at times it takes considerable time to boot with a long period sitting on the "ROG" emblem screen.

System stability is otherwise perfect under all load levels so I do not suspect the PSU as a fault.

I am suspicious that this is a RAM training issue or CPU voltage issue on initial boot.

I have XMP set and 1.35v for RAM. All other settings normal/automatic. Unfortunately I can't access my PC right now to give the model of RAM but I think it is Corsair DDR4 3200 CMK32GX4M4B3200C14

Bios is in UEFI mode and fastboot disabled.

Overclock on CPU is at 4.9 however it runs stable at 5.1 so it's not being pushed hard.
Speedstep is enabled as I prefer the voltage and freq to wind down when not under load to save on power.
(as an aside does each core independently set its freq based on load or do all increase linked together?)

I'm hopeful of some advice regarding this issue and perhaps settings that will assist in resolving it . I understand there are some specific settings that can help with the RAM to eliminate that or reduce risk of it as cause?

Other info -
USB mouse, Mic and keyboard with powered hub.
HDMI out (onboard GPU) to Denon AVR for digital audio and 4k monitor
1080TI DP output to main monitor
Intel X-550 10G BaseT PCIe Network adapter.
PCIe SSD and a few m.2 nvme SSDs
Win 10 x64 Home
7900k, x670E Strix Gaming, 32GB DDR5 6000 Team Group, RTX4090
Full Custom loop with EK Blocks, External Radbox with MORA 1080 and 140.2
Ducky KB, Custom flight Simpit, AW OLED UW,
Denon AVR - QAcoustics Bookshelves & Sub for 4.1 Surround
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Set BIOS to F5 defaults and see if it still happens

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Set BIOS to F5 defaults and see if it still happens

Sensible suggestion Arne. THe issue I have is that the failed boot occurs so intermittently that it could be weeks to determine if it's fixed.

At times I go away and come home to find it sitting in this state having been booted (WOL) to perform backup and failed to boot fully.

Are there any settings I chould check in the first instance to ensure the RAM is booting with safe settings with XMP and also that the Overclocked CPU is using sufficient voltage on post? Any other settings that would be valid too... eg I think there is a RAM related fastboot option to prevent retraining on boot? (might only be warmboot though).

I should indicate that correction of the fault requires 4 sec press of power to shut down then the system starts normally in all instances going to the BIOS error screen suggesting to hit F1 as a boot failure has occurred and to go into BIOS.
7900k, x670E Strix Gaming, 32GB DDR5 6000 Team Group, RTX4090
Full Custom loop with EK Blocks, External Radbox with MORA 1080 and 140.2
Ducky KB, Custom flight Simpit, AW OLED UW,
Denon AVR - QAcoustics Bookshelves & Sub for 4.1 Surround

mgrobins wrote:
Sensible suggestion Arne. THe issue I have is that the failed boot occurs so intermittently that it could be weeks to determine if it's fixed.

At times I go away and come home to find it sitting in this state having been booted (WOL) to perform backup and failed to boot fully.

Are there any settings I chould check in the first instance to ensure the RAM is booting with safe settings with XMP and also that the Overclocked CPU is using sufficient voltage on post? Any other settings that would be valid too... eg I think there is a RAM related fastboot option to prevent retraining on boot? (might only be warmboot though).

I should indicate that correction of the fault requires 4 sec press of power to shut down then the system starts normally in all instances going to the BIOS error screen suggesting to hit F1 as a boot failure has occurred and to go into BIOS.

If it's as intermitant as that, bumping VCCSA and VCCIO as well as DRAM voltage 20mv is probably the easiest remedy, and then soak test the system.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Have you watched the Q Codes during boot to see where it hangs?? Mine was hanging on 99; IO Initialization which pointed to a bad MoBo, loose connection or graphics card problem but I checked all connections and the graphics card is singing along on benchmarks.

Besides watching Q Codes, I would take the PC down to the minumum you can operate for a while. Once that shows stable and add things in one at a time as suggested. Unfortunately this could take weeks but what else can you do, other than RMA things and that takes time and trouble particularly if you don't have a great idea of what the problem is.

My fails happen fairly often so I have bought and replaced memory, a new PSU and disable all unneeded drives and it still won't work. Until it does. Then I can add everything back in including the kitchen sink and it will work fine...until it doesn't. I have a ticket opened on both the Motherboard and the Graphics card. More likely a MoBo issue so may have to RMA that if it continues to happen. But so far all is well for the past few hours.

I am going to take one of the posted suggestions and bump up power a bit to see if that helps it get over the hiccups. Good Luck and keep us posted on what fixes it.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, as always everything is so tied in together that it is really only by elimination/substitution that you can get down to the root cause of this kind of stuff.

Just statistically my first thought would be to look at RAM problems but that is not always the case.

If I were you I would set F5 defaults and run that...at least that way you will know if the system can perform at stock settings.

If you still get crashes...pair back the system to basics....no usb hubs...single monitor on DP....mouse and keyboard only....maybe fresh OS install like this. Then add back one piece at a time.

For RAM testing consider Karhu RAM Test....a small investment but it will show up RAM problems very quickly. If it shows any remove sticks and see if there is a faulty one....and/or test different slots with a known good stick.

Just have to logical and scientific...step by step. There is no point trying to find workarounds for bad components...