cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding Windows 10 install on GL703 restore

dabigin
Level 7
Is there any way to make it so that the installation that comes with my laptop to save to a USB thumb drive?
I am thinking about getting a new hard drive to replace the one that came with the system, and was curious if you had to buy it directly off of the ASUS website. Any information would be helpful, thanks.
Dabigin on xbl and psn
Dabigin on stream
Republic of Gamers Laptop owner 2-11-2011
System:
Current System
GL703GE (Powered on 1/3/2019)
Old System
G74SX (Retired 12/20/2018)
3 REPLIES 3

JustinThyme
Level 13
No you cant save the OS to a thumb drive. What you can do is clone the disc or do a back up and restore that does not save the factory restore partition.
Ive always done this by cloning the original drive to a new drive and then putting originl drive away for safe keeping as when you need to send it for warranty service you not only dont want your personal files on it, they will simply send it right back to you if its been modified in any way shape or form from its factory condition including drives and ram.
Sometimes its not possible to do it in one pass though. If you have a single NVMe M2 drive then its a double clone. You can clone to an internal sata drive, then pull the OEM M2 and replace it with your new one and clone back from the SATA. Always a way to do it. If you dont want to lose data on internal sata there is always the option to put in a cheap spinner to do that.

The conversion can be done but not with a stick.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

dabigin
Level 7
Thanks for the info. I was just hoping there was a way I could get a download of a system restore, kinda like a restore disc from the ASUS website. I'll figure it out when I cross that bridge.
Dabigin on xbl and psn
Dabigin on stream
Republic of Gamers Laptop owner 2-11-2011
System:
Current System
GL703GE (Powered on 1/3/2019)
Old System
G74SX (Retired 12/20/2018)

hexaae
Level 12
No need. Just download and use Macrium Reflect Free for example (excellent backup/restore tool, even as a free version) to backup your whole HD on first boot. To do so of course you need an external USB drive for saving backup. You'd better annotate the exact real dimensions of the disk too, because other disk replacement may have a slightly different size even if marketed of the same size: (only) if smaller you won't be able to restore it of course.
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, Hori Fighting Stick Mini, XBox One BT controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse