cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Extreme Bios Update Issue

scaper28
Level 7
Hi All

When I update my bios with any version of the ones available after the bios update is complete , the system hangs on check NVram error until I do a cmos clear using the button on the back , then the machine will turn on.

My specs are

Xi Extreme
I9-9900k
EVGA 2080 TI FTW 3 Ultra
970 EVO 512
960 EVO 1TB
Corsair 1000W PSU
Corsair Vengence RGB PRO 3443 mem 2 x 8 GB

all brand new .

I presume this is not normal after a bios update ?
7 REPLIES 7

scaper28
Level 7
Anyone had this issue when updating the bios ?

I have tried the latest bios that was out a few days ago , I even tried resetting the bios to defaults before I upgraded to the new bios , yet again once the system restarted after the bios update , the system Hung with the error Check NVRAM ,

I am at a loss to what could be causing this ,

scaper28 wrote:
Anyone had this issue when updating the bios ?

I have tried the latest bios that was out a few days ago , I even tried resetting the bios to defaults before I upgraded to the new bios , yet again once the system restarted after the bios update , the system Hung with the error Check NVRAM ,
I am at a loss to what could be causing this ,

Hi all,
Just updated the Bios and now having constant D6 (IDE Fail) on startup. What's worst, is now I can't get access to the BIOS. Tried every trick I know to get in.
List:
Bios Safe_Boot Button
Leave DVD/USB Boot drive inserted to intercept load
Bios Reset

Now currently trying to Flashback Bios back to 07xx. Will update post regarding results.

System Specs:
Maximus XI Extreme
i7 8700K
Corsair Ven RGB 32GB
ASUS Ryujin 360 CPU Cooler
ROG 2070 O8G Graphics
Samsung M.2 512 NVme 960 Pro
Win 10 Pro DVD (Orig) 1809 12/2/2019

P.S. - Interestingly enough, Win10 was installed, all drivers done. This was running on the Mobo's orig bios (0506).
Updated to latest (0805) and tits fell off. I'm told that if you have more than just the boot drive connected when doing Bios Update, this can cause problems?
Anyone with same experience?

Cheers.
PC Gaming! - "Everything else is just a Toy!"

Hi all,
Just updated the Bios and now having constant D6 (IDE Fail) on startup. What's worst, is now I can't get access to the BIOS. Tried every trick I know to get in.
List:
Bios Safe_Boot Button
Leave DVD/USB Boot drive inserted to intercept load
Bios Reset

Now currently trying to Flashback Bios back to 07xx. Will update post regarding results.

System Specs:
Maximus XI Extreme
i7 8700K
Corsair Ven RGB 32GB
ASUS Ryujin 360 CPU Cooler
ROG 2070 O8G Graphics
Samsung M.2 512 NVme 960 Pro
Win 10 Pro DVD (Orig) 1809 12/2/2019

P.S. - Interestingly enough, Win10 was installed, all drivers done. This was running on the Mobo's orig bios (0506).
Updated to latest (0805) and tits fell off. I'm told that if you have more than just the boot drive connected when doing Bios Update, this can cause problems?
Anyone with same experience?

Cheers.
PC Gaming! - "Everything else is just a Toy!"

einsindrei
Level 10
Hi, i have similiar Config, but no Problem with latest Bios 0805. Try it to flash with Bios Flashback?

einsindrei wrote:
Hi, i have similiar Config, but no Problem with latest Bios 0805. Try it to flash with Bios Flashback?

so you don't get the check NVRAM when you do a bios update then ? I have tried bios flashback then a normal flash via usb stick and even via the web gui in the bios , each time I flash the bios I get the same NVRAM error

Its weird why I am getting this , what gpu are you running ?

I have found that if I clear my cmos settings by using the optimal setting in bios, then do a bios upgrade it doesn't seem to give me the error

do you clear your bios settings first before bios update ?

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I am runing 0805 on my CODE xi without issues. D6 code? maybe the bios does not like the DVD drive. the DVD still connected on 1809???
Learn, Play Enjoy!