cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Strix X399 QFan issues? Motherboard 3pin 4pin Headers?

xlasombrax
Level 7
Hello everyone.
I've been dealing with this problem for some time and I can't figure out what the problem is.
What happens is that the CPU fan will stop working (sometimes while gaming, sometimes while doing ordinary stuff) with no specific reason. I also have a inline water sensor that is attached to another mobo 3 pin connector, and what sometimes happens is that the inline sensor display will turn off, and then after sometime the CPU fan will also stop spinning.
After a restart all goes back to normal.

I've tried changing QFan settings to DC, auto, PWM with no luck, after a while fan will stop and the other device connected to the motherboard will also stop working.
Only thing that I think keeps working is the pump (which is connected to the wpump connector).

After bios update to the latest version I think it got worst, time between fan hangups has decreased.
Any ideas?

Just one more thing, this are the settings that are giving me the best results in terms of "stability"
CPU Qfan Control - Auto
Fan Smoothing 0 sec
Fan speed Lower Limit Ignore
Fan Profile - Turbo

W_Pump Control - Disabled
COV Fan Q Fan - Disabled
M.2 Q-Fan - Disabled
4 REPLIES 4

gupsterg
Level 13
This loss of and or erratic behaviour of fan headers is usually indicative of the Super IO chip crapping out.

This usually occurs when multiple applications access the Super IO chip. Do you have things running in the background like ASUS Aura, Ai Suite, AIDA64, etc?
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
This loss of and or erratic behaviour of fan headers is usually indicative of the Super IO chip crapping out.

This usually occurs when multiple applications access the Super IO chip. Do you have things running in the background like ASUS Aura, Ai Suite, AIDA64, etc?

Hello, thanks for the input.
You got a point there, I do have Corsair ICUE, Razer Central and TTRGB Tool installed. Used to have ASUS Aura but haven't used that for couple of months.

Should I install ASUS Aura now and see what happens? 😄

gupsterg
Level 13
Get rid of all SW like ASUS Aura, Ai Suite, iCue, TTRGB, etc, basically anything that may access the motherboard Super IO chip. If all is well then you know one of those SW is freaky out the chip.

ASUS have a solution, they added a feature to C6H/C7H/ZE, ASUS WMI. This acts as an interface between the SW and SIO, so as long as UEFI has feature, SW uses it and doesn't use direct access to SIO, issues of fan headers going freaky don't occur.

So far only the mentioned mobos have ASUS WMI, dunno why it hasn't been rolled out to all the ASUS AM4/sTR4 mobos that use ITE IT8665E. Still some of the SW mentioned does not support ASUS WMI.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

xlasombrax
Level 7
Thanks for the help! 🙂
That's a lot of information, I had no idea about the IO chip and the Asus WMI function, will keep an eye on it.

Little update, what I have done is I simply removed all the devices connected to the motherboard 3pin / 4pin connectores and I'm using a hub now.
I also removed the cpu Cooler and installed water block now.

Forgot to mention that I was also suffering from random BSOD too, I thought those were more related to the OS because after running memtest and other tests everything was fine, no errors there, but since I removed all the devices from the Motherboard everything is running fine. No game crashes, no BSOD, I'm really happy.

Will update if I run into any problems.