cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEFI clean install

gitkeeper
Level 7
Hey all,

After RMAing my laptop twice due to display artifacts and fan behavior, and after detecting some unusual behavior (possibly malware) before switching hard drives, I'm concerned some of the very tech saavy people that have physical access to the device have infected the firmware.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the UEFI flashing process...

If I reflash using the latest ASUS release, will it for sure wipe any modules that had been installed and were executing? Is there a way to completely clean the firmware flash?

Also, is there a way to set the write-protect bit so that windows can't update the firmware?
(windows update initiated a UEFI update without a single Asus Live program on the machine....scary).

Thanks very much for your insights.
/kyle
5 REPLIES 5

JustinThyme
Level 13
A bit more info. What machine are we talking about?
Ive not ever had any machines firmware update though windows update with the exception of a microsoft surface.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

It's a G703GS Strix Scar.

It gets back from RMA in two days and I'll check the update history again

gitkeeper wrote:
https://www.techpowerup.com/248827/asus-z390-motherboards-automatically-push-software-into-your-wind...

Whoa.....scary

Hi,
Yeah nothing like a little bloatware there

Sounds worse than turbo boost 3 in the os and it's totally useless by the way 😄
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Yeah nothing like a little bloatware there

Sounds worse than turbo boost 3 in the os and it's totally useless by the way 😄

Im more worried about someone using this capability to inject keyloggers or other spyware into the OS.