cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling External Fan via GPU Tweak II issue

komosama
Level 7
I purchased an extra fan (Noctua NF-A14 PWN) to help cool my Rog Strix 1080ti OC GPU as this card has 2 fan connectors allowing to control the fan based on GPU temps via GPU Tweak II (I am using version 1.9.4.4). However I am having some issues with the Tweak II software properly controlling this fan upon Windows start-up.

The fan is recognized by Tweak II as I have a "External Fan" slider to control the fan speed percentage. I created a new main Profile and within this Profile, I set custom fan speed curves for both my GPU fans and External fan and applied/saved changes (I have my External fan running at 50% from 1C to 50C, and then increasing afterwards). Both the GPU fans and the External fan work as intended, following the custom fan speed curve that I have set. I went into Tweak II settings and applied the following settings: Automatically start Tweak II on Windows start-up, Minimize Tweak II when it starts, and Apply settings each time Tweak II starts. I want GPU Tweak II to control both my GPU fans and my External fan based on the custom fan speed curves instantly when Windows starts up.

My issue now is that when Windows starts up, Tweak II starts fine and loads my custom main profile, but only my GPU fan is following its custom fan curve, while my External fan is stuck at 0% (even though the custom fan speed curve is still set correctly when I check). The only way I can "wake-up" the External fan and get it to follow my custom fan speed curve is to change the main profile (for example to Gaming Mode profile), then hit Apply, then set it back to my custom profile then hit apply again. This finally wakes up the External Fan and it now runs based on the custom fan speed curve that I have set in that profile.

Any help would be welcome with regards to why Tweak II is not properly controlling my External Fan upon Windows start-up. Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

komosama
Level 7
Also, seems like others are having the exact same issue as me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/acrt56/asus_gpu_tweak_ii_external_fan_control_woes/

The discussion is quite recently and they are saying that this happened to them upon updating to the latest version of Tweak II. Anyone else having similar issues?

Same issue on strix 2080. The issue persists in all existed versions of the GPU tweak...

Just wanted to add a couple of updates to what I noticed. Below is the fan curve I have set for my External Fan. Once again, when Windows starts up, the fan is running at 0%.

I stressed my GPU to raise temperatures and noticed that once the GPU got to 58C, the External Fan finally starting to spin and it seemed to be following my custom fan curve at GPU temps above 58C. Then when I ended the stress test, the fans kept running down to 50%, and when the GPU temp reached 40C (and below) the External Fan went back down to 0%. Also, if I set the External Fan to manual fan speed (not user defined fan curve), the works fine, upon Windows start-up the fan is spinning constantly at that manual set speed.

Seems like there is some bug in the Tweak II software where a user defined fan curve for External Fan is not correctly followed.

I also contacted Asus technical support and I got the standard message back from the tech guy, asking to try to clear CMOS, try the GPU in another PCI slot, try to GPU in another computer, etc...

As i figured out it happens because the GPU tweak does not start up "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe" when the app starts at the first time. At the moment of the start the app somehow kills "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe" by itself .Only manual reapply of the curve starts the process again. Definitely its a bug of the application.

Al3xG wrote:
As i figured out it happens because the GPU tweak does not start up "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe" when the app starts at the first time. At the moment of the start the app somehow kills "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe" by itself .Only manual reapply of the curve starts the process again. Definitely its a bug of the application.

If this is the case, then good catch. Now, how do we report this to the programmers so that this can be fixed in a future update?

So I think you are correct about the ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe thing. When you boot up Windows, and then run "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe" as administrator, the External fan begins to respond based on the user defined custom fan curve. Hope that this gets resolved.

Anyone have any experience in solving this issue? Or reporting it to Asus for fixing in future updates. I contacted Asus technical support and they told me "As of the moment we do not have any place where to report minor bugs and hiccups on our softwares"

A quick update on the issue. I have found a solution for anyone that is experiencing this.

This solution is based on the issue that the Al3xG found (in an above post), in that "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe" terminates itself on GPU Tweak II automatic start-up when Windows boots. What the below instructions do is restart "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe" using the Task Scheduler app that is built into Windows. So after you do the following, your external fan should immediately start following your custom fan curve that you have set when GPU Tweak II starts up on Windows boot.

1) Open up the "Task Scheduler" in Windows.
2) Go to "Actions" tab and click "Create Task"
3) In the "Create Task" window, under the "Genera" Tab, add a "Name" for your task (I called mine "Asus GPU Fan")
4) In the "Security Options" section, make sure to check "Run whether user is logged on or not, and also check "Run with highest privileges"
5) In the "Triggers" tab, create a new one and select "At log on" for the Begin the task: drop-down menu. Leave rest of the settings as default and click OK.
6) In the "Actions" tab, create a new one and make sure "Start a program" is selected in the Action: drop-down menu. Clock on "Browse" and select "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx" in the Asus>GPU TweakII installation folder
7) Then in the "Settings" tab also make sure to check "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed"

Save this task and each time you boot up windows, your external fan should not immediately stat following the custom fan curve that you have set.

komosama wrote:
A quick update on the issue. I have found a solution for anyone that is experiencing this.

This solution is based on the issue that the Al3xG found (in an above post), in that "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe" terminates itself on GPU Tweak II automatic start-up when Windows boots. What the below instructions do is restart "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe" using the Task Scheduler app that is built into Windows. So after you do the following, your external fan should immediately start following your custom fan curve that you have set when GPU Tweak II starts up on Windows boot.

1) Open up the "Task Scheduler" in Windows.
2) Go to "Actions" tab and click "Create Task"
3) In the "Create Task" window, under the "Genera" Tab, add a "Name" for your task (I called mine "Asus GPU Fan")
4) In the "Security Options" section, make sure to check "Run whether user is logged on or not, and also check "Run with highest privileges"
5) In the "Triggers" tab, create a new one and select "At log on" for the Begin the task: drop-down menu. Leave rest of the settings as default and click OK.
6) In the "Actions" tab, create a new one and make sure "Start a program" is selected in the Action: drop-down menu. Clock on "Browse" and select "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx" in the Asus>GPU TweakII installation folder
7) Then in the "Settings" tab also make sure to check "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed"

Save this task and each time you boot up windows, your external fan should not immediately stat following the custom fan curve that you have set.

Thanks for this. Fixed the issue i was having with external fans not kicking in upon boot 🙂