cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6EO Hangs In BIOS Update

Aysberg
Level 10
Never got my R6E stable during post, even with default settings, so to RMA the board I needed a replacement (my dealer was not willing to do some cross-shipping). Got a brand new Rampage VI Extreme Omega and I am already regretting my decision, but I wanted to give ASUS a chance.

The manual is debacle, there is no way to see which M.2 slots are running via CPU or via PCH. Same is true for the PCIe x4 slot and so on. There was a time, when you had a chipset diagram in a manual, so you could see which device is sharing which resources. Seems top of the line customers are just second class, was already the same with the R6E. Strangely the SAGE has such a diagram.

Having everything up and running, I tried to flash the current BIOS from the support page (v0402). Did this via UEFI (later via flashback), each time the BIOS is ready flashed it restarts and after post directly goes to "BIOS is updating. Do not shut down or rest...". Waited for two hours, but the system just freezes with an CODE 70 - Updating EC1. Removed all hardware, changed graphics card, removed all but one Memory module, to no avail. Only a flashback to 0218 could bring the system back in a "working" state.

So I flashed back v0218, noticing that there are just 32GB of my 64GB RAM are listed, to be precise only A1 and B1. Really. Again switching modules, even reseating my CPU. Nothing. UPDATE Got all 4 DIMMs running.

But yeah, I get a pop up in windows to install Armoury Crate, some bloatware, to get all the ROG software on my system.

I am so disappointed, spent more than 1200 EUR on ASUS mainboards to get one stable system, and all I get is hardware which seems to be done sloppy. I need my PC for work and spending loads of money and time, to get a semi stable system is not good advertisement for a company.

Since my R6E is now on the way to RMA, I need to try to get a cross-shipping for the OMEGA now. And every time I need to argue with a dealer instead of having support directly from ASUS.

So if some ASUS reps are listening, show me a way to update the BIOS, maybe this brings back my RAM or send me a new board, better two (including the R6E).

I didn't find a way to update my profile, but everything is the same, except the mainboard and I had to get rid of the soundcard, thanks to the great PCIx availability on this flagship board.

Seems this was not my day.

PS To say something positive, this board looks really good. But looks do not help when you need a working PC.
14 REPLIES 14

Brighttail
Level 11
At the very least you should be able to still use the board by switching to the other BIOS in the meant time while you figure out the current BIOS issue.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Hopper64
Level 15
Aysberg wrote:
Never got my R6E stable during post, even with default settings, so to RMA the board I needed a replacement (my dealer was not willing to do some cross-shipping). Got a brand new Rampage VI Extreme Omega and I am already regretting my decision, but I wanted to give ASUS a chance.

The manual is debacle, there is no way to see which M.2 slots are running via CPU or via PCH. Same is true for the PCIe x4 slot and so on. There was a time, when you had a chipset diagram in a manual, so you could see which device is sharing which resources. Seems top of the line customers are just second class, was already the same with the R6E. Strangely the SAGE has such a diagram.

Having everything up and running, I tried to flash the current BIOS from the support page (v0402). Did this via UEFI (later via flashback), each time the BIOS is ready flashed it restarts and after post directly goes to "BIOS is updating. Do not shut down or rest...". Waited for two hours, but the system just freezes with an CODE 70 - Updating EC1. Removed all hardware, changed graphics card, removed all but one Memory module, to no avail. Only a flashback to 0218 could bring the system back in a "working" state.

So I flashed back v0218, noticing that there are just 32GB of my 64GB RAM are listed, to be precise only A1 and B1. Really. Again switching modules, even reseating my CPU. Nothing.

But yeah, I get a pop up in windows to install Armoury Crate, some bloatware, to get all the ROG software on my system.

I am so disappointed, spent more than 1200 EUR on ASUS mainboards to get one stable system, and all I get is hardware which seems to be done sloppy. I need my PC for work and spending loads of money and time, to get a semi stable system is not good advertisement for a company.

Since my R6E is now on the way to RMA, I need to try to get a cross-shipping for the OMEGA now. And every time I need to argue with a dealer instead of having support directly from ASUS.

So if some ASUS reps are listening, show me a way to update the BIOS, maybe this brings back my RAM or send me a new board, better two (including the R6E).

I didn't find a way to update my profile, but everything is the same, except the mainboard and I had to get rid of the soundcard, thanks to the great PCIx availability on this flagship board.

Seems this was not my day.

PS To say something positive, this board looks really good. But looks do not help when you need a working PC.

I had the exact same issue with bios 0402. Had to go back to the first release bios 0218 as well. Don't know what the issue is, but it never would boot after flashing 0402. It would just hang with the same error message that you specified. ???

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108529-Q-Code-70
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Aysberg
Level 10
Good to know I am not alone, not got to know that ASUS is not able to get their things straight with a second generation of a product 😞

Will see if I can get my two RAM DIMMs visible to the system, I have no energy to disassemble the system again 😞

UPDATE Reseated my DIMMs did a reboot and suddenly all the DIMMs are there. Don't know what happened yesterday, did the procedure several times 😞

But there is another problem, running my kit at 3200MHz, the BIOS on auto sets a voltage of 1.50v. So I have to manually set the voltage to the official 1.35v setting.

Aysberg
Level 10
Just needed a temporal replacement for my R6E which is going to RMA. Will see if I switch back to Extreme, when (if) I get one back. At the moment I can life with the Omega, but would love to see a SAGE like Rampage with 4 times PCIe x16, so that you have some flexibility. PLX/PEX is cheaper than this 10GB Ethernet chipset.

Get rid of the onboard 10GB port anyway and deliver instead another PCIe slot, so that I can chose by myself. I am using 10GB fiber all over my place and office, so a 10GB RJ-45 port is just a waste of resources.

Hopper64
Level 15
Hope Asus addresses this with a new bios soon. I was thinking of using EZFlash in the bios to update to 0402 to see if that makes any difference, but I think I will just wait to see if they fix this.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Following!

I have exact same issue.
CPU: Intel 9980XE
MB: Asus Rampage VI Extreme Omega
RAM: 128Gb 8x16Gb Corsair LPX 3800MHz (CMK128GX4M8X3800C19)

Problems:
- Can't update to latests available BIOS, 0402 followed all instructions from Asus Support (reseting, battery removals and etc).
- Can't make all RAM to work, only 96Gb, slots B2 and D2 are like "dead" never saw a led light showing on MB all 4 slots are busy. And to get to this state it took me a WHILE, replacing dims, removing everything and at some point it just showed up at least 96Gb and all DIMMS are working as they work perfectly in a single pair (32Gb) - all of them.

So Asus, I'm in industry since 1992, can you make your name back for me, please? I mean can you FIX the issue on your TOP motherboard line? Please?

Hopper64
Level 15
You might want to check the QVL on the memory kit. I don't see a Corsair kit listed at 3800. That may be part of the issue. All of my memory is detected correctly. I simply can't get bios 0402 to come out of that continuous "Bios is updating. Don't shutdown...." message. ???

Well, it's actually specified in Rampage VI Extreme (not Omega, but I bet it's just too early).

Here is Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computer-RAM/Corsair-CMK128GX4M8X3800C19-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/B0...

*I bought it from Scan UK, it comes in a branded box, so I bet it might be issue with MB as it simply doesn't even see last pair of dimms at all (

Seregus wrote:
Well, it's actually specified in Rampage VI Extreme (not Omega, but I bet it's just too early).

Here is Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computer-RAM/Corsair-CMK128GX4M8X3800C19-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/B0...

*I bought it from Scan UK, it comes in a branded box, so I bet it might be issue with MB as it simply doesn't even see last pair of dimms at all (

The QVL is out at the bottom of the download page for the omega. I asked Raja whether the memory is interchangeable with the original R6E and he said no. I’ll see if I can find his response on this question.