cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing 2nd memory kit?

djmarks
Level 9
Hi all.

I've installed Corsair 16GB (2x8) DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MHz PC4-25600 16-18-18-36 in my lovely machine. Question is - can I buy another one of those exact same kits and put it in with no worries?
5 REPLIES 5

JustinThyme
Level 13
One should never mix kits even with the same part numbers as kits are binned together.
Not saying it 100% wont work but its 50/50 at best. Forum is full of memory woes caused by mixed kits. The higher the frequency the more susceptible it is. You may be able to get the kits to run at Jdec standard 2666 but dont expect anything more.
Lesson learned? Always plan your build carefully and buy all the memory sticks as a kit.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
One should never mix kits even with the same part numbers as kits are binned together.
Not saying it 100% wont work but its 50/50 at best. Forum is full of memory woes caused by mixed kits. The higher the frequency the more susceptible it is. You may be able to get the kits to run at Jdec standard 2666 but dont expect anything more.
Lesson learned? Always plan your build carefully and buy all the memory sticks as a kit.

Absolutely...however I have on a few occasions purchased a matching kit (knowing I maybe in for some whoes)....but they performed fine....as Justin mentioned..the odds of them not performing right increase with higher frequency kits and OC'ing......just go at it with a grain of salt...you may get lucky as I have....

CHeers guys! Food for thought alrtight!

rjbarker wrote:
Absolutely...however I have on a few occasions purchased a matching kit (knowing I maybe in for some whoes)....but they performed fine....as Justin mentioned..the odds of them not performing right increase with higher frequency kits and OC'ing......just go at it with a grain of salt...you may get lucky as I have....

I am impressed. You just confirmed to me that I should have gotten 2x16's rather than the 2x8's that I initally planned to add more to. Well the rookie in me will probably show forever. Until just recently getting the gaming bug back after 15+ years, I was always under the impression that you could add more memory if correctly matched. I know its a crap shoot and there is probably more these days that could go wrong. Heck, I am still getting over the fact that my mobo has such limited QVL for higher freq mem Back in the day Uhuuum, It probably wasn't as critical. I am amazed at the precision these days and am excited about learning more. Just not as excited to throw my 16G's of ram in my box holding ram from the dark age. LMAO.
Pardon my ADHD. What I really jumped in here for is to truly compliment you with your benchmarks. I actually surprised the crap out of myself with my first. I will heed your wisdom and just go buy 4 sticks. Just wish I could get higher freq than my ROG Crosshair VII Hero (WiFi) has on the support list. Time for me to get back to reading on how to get these dang LED's acting right. :cool:

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
You can contact corsair and see what they say with those timings it's likely micro memory chips samsung is always tight timings 14-14-14 or 15-15-15/....
But 50-50% is about as good of odds there is xmp wise
Corsair memory does have 2 xmp profiles
One may work or both

But if you're needing another set I would recommend using this app to find the best memory out there

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]