cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stability Issues - Which Tests?

Dtfkev
Level 7
Hello all!

I've been running my setup for almost 2 years now without issues. 7700K, Maximus IX, Gskill DDR4 3200, Strix 1080ti, 960 Evo.

Recently I picked up Battlefield V and every now and again I'll notice it get a little choppy and HWINFO will throw errors.

I'm trying to diagnose which part of my overclock was causing the issue as BFV uses AVX I'm having a hard time trying to pinpoint each aspect of my overclock.

My current overclock is pretty generic:
XMP DDR4 16GB 3200Mhz
Sync all Cores 50
Cache Min/Max 43
Manual Vcore 1.3
LLC 5
AVX -3

I originally ran RB for 2 hours, P95 for 1 hour (1344 in place), AIDA64 for 1 hour to verify stability. I've been gaming and exporting premiere videos for well over a year and I'm still able to past these tests so I'm just going to completely start over from scratch until I figure this out.

So I guess my questions are:
I'm going to start with 1.3V @ 5ghz sync
1) What is the best test for basic frequency and voltage?

assuming i'm stable I'm going to XMP'
2) What is the best test for testing the newly entered XMP settings?

assuming i'm stable with xmp & 1.3V @ 5ghz I'll adjust cache ratio
3) What is the best test for testing newly enterted cache settings?

assuming I'm stable with xmp & cache with 1.3v @ 5ghz I'll adjust my AVX
5) What is the best test for AVX at this point?
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you done the obvious first step of setting F5 defaults in BIOS and tried playing the game...it might not be the OC but game/driver issues that will occur at any settings

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
BFV is CPU intensive as far as games go, in that it makes reasonable use of AVX instruction sets. In your situation I would consider setting the AVX offset further and retesting, so you’re on the right track.

Only other alternative is likely to increase vcore or try reducing the uncore ratio, as this can often help stabilise other domains.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
AVX at 3 and running at all core 50 is probably not enough I'd guess probably 5 would be better

But then again I don't see much point in all core 50 for gaming
Why not all core 45 and avx auto.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jab383
Level 13
Your basic question is about stress tests. The offered suggestions have merit, but don't answer the actual question.

I use y-Cruncher to test all the things you ask about with emphasis on memory and AVX. It's a hot, stressful test, about like Prime 95, but it checks the results and catches computation and memory errors. Note the "hot and stressful" - watch temperatures. It also takes much less time and total stress on the CPU is a lot less. A two minute run in y-Cruncher gives as much stability information as day of realbench or a week of Prime 95 (I hate prime 95 if you can't tell.)

http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/

My experience with the 7700K is that -3 AVX setback is good if LLC doesn't droop Vcore too much. I use LLC 7 to 8 for competitive benching and LLC 5 to 6 for longer time running. Use repeated runs of y-Cruncher at different LLC to see how that is affecting your stability. At two minutes per run, that won't take long.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have you done the obvious first step of setting F5 defaults in BIOS and tried playing the game...it might not be the OC but game/driver issues that will occur at any settings

I haven't, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
BFV is CPU intensive as far as games go, in that it makes reasonable use of AVX instruction sets. In your situation I would consider setting the AVX offset further and retesting, so you’re on the right track.

Only other alternative is likely to increase vcore or try reducing the uncore ratio, as this can often help stabilise other domains.

Indeed, those changes will be my last resort. I'd like to correctly identify the problem before taking shots in the dark.

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
AVX at 3 and running at all core 50 is probably not enough I'd guess probably 5 would be better

But then again I don't see much point in all core 50 for gaming
Why not all core 45 and avx auto.

Lolwat? Because that's 500Mhz off base clock and 200Mhz off AVX clock which is a noticeable difference in game.

jab383 wrote:
Your basic question is about stress tests. The offered suggestions have merit, but don't answer the actual question.

I use y-Cruncher to test all the things you ask about with emphasis on memory and AVX. It's a hot, stressful test, about like Prime 95, but it checks the results and catches computation and memory errors. Note the "hot and stressful" - watch temperatures. It also takes much less time and total stress on the CPU is a lot less. A two minute run in y-Cruncher gives as much stability information as day of realbench or a week of Prime 95 (I hate prime 95 if you can't tell.)

http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/

My experience with the 7700K is that -3 AVX setback is good if LLC doesn't droop Vcore too much. I use LLC 7 to 8 for competitive benching and LLC 5 to 6 for longer time running. Use repeated runs of y-Cruncher at different LLC to see how that is affecting your stability. At two minutes per run, that won't take long.

Thank you!

Currently my voltage under load stays rock solid at 1.312v under all load conditions regardless of duration not seeing any droop.

I have never used y-cruncher before, is it an all in one test or can it be configured to test different aspects individually? Or how does one interpret the results to find stability issues?

x-rated
Level 8
y-cruncher is great benchmarking tool which tests cpu, imc, avx, ram and cooling 🙂 if you can pass it at least 5x in a row with settings 0 1 7 (for 16 GB of memory), you are stable enough :cool:

x-rated wrote:
y-cruncher is great benchmarking tool which tests cpu, imc, avx, ram and cooling 🙂 if you can pass it at least 5x in a row with settings 0 1 7 (for 16 GB of memory), you are stable enough :cool:

So I've downloaded the application.

I've selected option "1" for stress testing

then I selected "0" to start.

It just went through and passed everything, however FFT, N32 & C17 were disabled.

I'm not sure what you mean by settings " 0 1 7"

x-rated
Level 8
start the app and press 0, enter, 1, enter, 7, enter

x-rated wrote:
start the app and press 0, enter, 1, enter, 7, enter

Word thanks. She passed 5 without issues.

However I did notice that my core clock speed never hit 5Ghz, it seems it was using AVX the entire time?