Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double booting, Asus rog maximus xi formula

alex_may93
Level 7
Hello, folks!

Lets start from the beginning).
I have core i9 9900k, G-Skill 4000Mhz CL18-19-19-39 and mobo maximus xi formula.

After mobo installation a checked that preinstalled bios version is 0224.

I on this version I overclocked my i9 to 5.1GHz with 1.290 voltage and just enabled XMP-1 with factory RAM settings ( 4000MHz and CL18-19-19-39 ). After that system restarted and automatically rearranged memory speed to 3900MHz with 1.3500 voltage.
It worked perfect and stable ( tested in aida64 ).

But recently I have updated to the 0703 bios and:

Question #1. I got double booting. If you just plugged in PC the system starts booting and shuts down after 0.5-2 sec without any info on the monitor. After that system automatically starts but this time successfully. This issue does not repeat if you restart/turn off and not pull out the power cord from the wall. Is it BIOS-related issue?

Question #2. On 0703 I cant apply even 3900MHz for my memory. The system doesn't boot at all. It seems boot fails on memory test with post code 7F. It works on 3600MHz with CL18-19-19-39 with all ram modules ( 4*8Gb ), not higher. BUT if I leave only 2 RAMs, placed in 2 DIMMs ( 2*8Gb ) it boots successfully on 4000MHz with the same timings. I tried to replace different rams, but this doesn't give any effect. In all cases double ( sometimes triple ) booting is present.
Just for clearing I have 4 ram bars with factory 4000MHz, CL18-19-19-39 and 1.3500 voltage.

Question #3. Where I can download the 0224 bios version for my mobo? Official site https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-FORMULA/HelpDesk_BIOS/ offers only 0506 as the lowest one..
12 REPLIES 12

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
#1 Probably some user will come in and say "Normal behavior for the Maximus XI platform". To me it isn't. We'll have to wait if and when Asus might release a fix. There's only cases in my mind where a system should do a multi-boot. 1) Fresh system build (can only do that once) and 2) BIOS update. Anything else isn't normal.

#2 sorry can't help you with that one

#3 there is no such bios versions. The latest official non-beta is 0703

Edit: Latest bios is now 0805 which got uploaded literally right after posting this lol

Ch3vr0n wrote:
#1 Probably some user will come in and say "Normal behavior for the Maximus XI platform". To me it isn't. We'll have to wait if and when Asus might release a fix. There's only cases in my mind where a system should do a multi-boot. 1) Fresh system build (can only do that once) and 2) BIOS update. Anything else isn't normal.

#2 sorry can't help you with that one

#3 there is no such bios versions. The latest official non-beta is 0703

Edit: Latest bios is now 0805 which got uploaded literally right after posting this lol

Where did you get 0805?
Can not find it on https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-FORMULA/HelpDesk_BIOS/?_ga=2.47876327.1727713665.15...

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Yeap the same issue on my Asus Prime Z390-A after i updated bios. When plugged off power cord,and again it booting twice. 🙂 Like yours.

Yep! Double boot only when SVID is disabled and messing with manual mode.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99315-Double-boot-question

no1yak
Level 8
I really don't see the problem here. If I ever bother to remove the power form both my Hero IX or XI then yes it reboots twice. I really do not see why people have to completely switch off their PC's, I never do unless I am removing a card or anything else that requires 0 volts. There have been quite a few threads on this subject and I suggest that you read them.

If you must turn your machine off then why does it matter if it reboots once, twice or even three times as long as it fully operational.

no1yak wrote:

If you must turn your machine off then why does it matter if it reboots once, twice or even three times as long as it fully operational.

Because it is not normal behavior. I had lots of different boards from Asus and never had double start

Just the gratification one receives when the power button is pressed; boot one time!

alex_may93 wrote:
Because it is not normal behavior. I had lots of different boards from Asus and never had double start

Hi,
Boom sure isn't.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The double boot is solved with latest BIOS-0805.
You can get it from https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-FORMULA/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Now system starts successfully on the first try. ( BIOS default settings )

Double boot appears if I try XMP and some values leave on AUTO.