cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix X299-E + Intel i7, consistently seen 48 GB out of 64 GB RAM

martine-dee
Level 12
Hi,

First post here. I'm barely a hardware person but I hope to get help with this here (thanks a lot in advance). I've been running for some 17 months with 48 GB RAM whilst I've got 64 GB in place.

I've got the following:

• ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming
  • Intel Core i7-7820X @ 3.6 GHz (set to 4.0 GHz)
  • 3x RAM Crucial 16 GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz

The memory sticks are in the right slots per the manual: A1, B1, C1, D1. I have tried to swap those in C1 and D1 (for the chance it were a bad stick) but nay, it's the same. The 16 GB in D1 are never seen (per the BIOS tool).

My wild guess, it could be that clocks just don't play out well. But, I've tried to downclock the memory speed 1200 MHz with 3.6 GHz CPU, no luck, it is all the same. Also tried to set 2 GHz (RAM) and 4 GHz (CPU). Same, it totals to 48 GB seen.

There is a similar thread [1]. However, there the poster had issues sometimes. In my case, the stick in D1 is never seen. It could be a hardware defect (MOBO, CPU), but also - it is the last slot, right? I vaguely recall from the P2 era that last stick wouldn't be seen until everything was well synced on the clock level. It could be that some values may need tweaking in order to see this.

I prefer strongly to first try poking around with everything that can be diagnosed without taking the hardware things apart. The easiest hardware mod I can do is relocate the memory sticks to other slot combination if that would do the trick.

[1] - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84584-Sometimes-not-all-RAM-sticks-detected
Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
1) Reset the CPU and check the socket for bent pins - reseat the cooler whilst checking for even mounting pressure

2) Reseat all the modules again

3) Check the motherboard standoff screws surrounding the CPU and memory array are not overtightened.

If you're dropping a memory channel at stock, then the most likely solution is going to be a physical one. I've also moved the thread to the correct section.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

martine-dee
Level 12
Hi.

Thanks for locating space for this and the comment.
Well, I wish I could do hardware-gym work like that. Taking things out will have to wait until I can afford the entire thing to go down. 🙂

Meanwhile, if there were a software / bios way to check what's up that at least works in theory, it would be my first choice for the moment.

martine-dee
Level 12
Okay, I am about to do this. Perhaps.

For me, this is an entire touchy campaign, so I would like to plan it and get your help doing it.

I've got:

• Some Artic Silver 5
  • 97% pure alcohol
  • Some cloth (no, no toilet paper ^^)

Here is the current situation.

And here is my plan.

Dismantling

• Take out the NVMe SSD as the big vulnerable obstacle
  • Dust off the things
    • no compressed air can, but I've got a powerful fan with cool air. I've also got makeup brushes.

• Take out the memory modules
  • Unscrew the cooler
    • Oh ma, this one is going to be nasty. The cooler screws are so inaccessible.

• Lift up the cooler
  • (o)(o) Take a CPU photo, Take a cooler bottom photo
  • Unlock the CPU

Now, here is where it gets tricky. I plan to lift up the CPU and make a photo of its pin side beside visual checking. (o)(o) Also, a photo of the CPU seat (o)(o) .

Question: what do I do if I see pin anomalies?

Cleaning

As the next thing, I plan to clean both the CPU and the cooler from the previous paste.

Again, take photos of the cleaned surfaces. (o)(o)

Experiment 1

This is the next trial I would like to give. I would like to seat the CPU and lock it. Put in the memory sticks. Take a photo (o)(o) . Then run the PC without a cooler.
I would like to see what the BIOS sees.

Question: does this sound all right?

If I can get it to see 64 GB like this, I know the CPU and the board and the sticks are fine.

Question: what does it mean if all looks fine, but I can't get the BIOS to see the 64 GB?

Experiment 2
As the next thing, I would like to return the cooler.
For this, first the paste should be placed on the CPU. I've chosen to do the big central pea thing, perhaps a few tiny drops in each corner. Plus a photo should be taken (o)(o) .

Question: sounds good? Any risks involved?

Next step: place the cooler. For this, I probably need to remove the memory sticks first (photo: (o)(o) ), then return them when the cooler is placed. (photos, with and without the sticks (o) (o)(o)(o) )
Then, let's run the PC again to see what the BIOS says.

Feel free to help

How do you find this? Any suggestions?

LiveOrDie
Level 11
martine-dee wrote:
Hi,

First post here. I'm barely a hardware person but I hope to get help with this here (thanks a lot in advance). I've been running for some 17 months with 48 GB RAM whilst I've got 64 GB in place.

I've got the following:

• ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming
  • Intel Core i7-7820X @ 3.6 GHz (set to 4.0 GHz)
  • 3x RAM Crucial 16 GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz

The memory sticks are in the right slots per the manual: A1, B1, C1, D1. I have tried to swap those in C1 and D1 (for the chance it were a bad stick) but nay, it's the same. The 16 GB in D1 are never seen (per the BIOS tool).

My wild guess, it could be that clocks just don't play out well. But, I've tried to downclock the memory speed 1200 MHz with 3.6 GHz CPU, no luck, it is all the same. Also tried to set 2 GHz (RAM) and 4 GHz (CPU). Same, it totals to 48 GB seen.

There is a similar thread [1]. However, there the poster had issues sometimes. In my case, the stick in D1 is never seen. It could be a hardware defect (MOBO, CPU), but also - it is the last slot, right? I vaguely recall from the P2 era that last stick wouldn't be seen until everything was well synced on the clock level. It could be that some values may need tweaking in order to see this.

I prefer strongly to first try poking around with everything that can be diagnosed without taking the hardware things apart. The easiest hardware mod I can do is relocate the memory sticks to other slot combination if that would do the trick.

[1] - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84584-Sometimes-not-all-RAM-sticks-detected

3x RAM Crucial 16 GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz = 48GB :confused:

Long story short, yesterday I couldn't sleep after posting this so I gave it a try and PAM!

I diverged from the original plan, mid-way I realized I will need to take the entire box apart so that is what I did in the end.

Also, using pro hair dryer to dust a PC sorta works.

Now, off to this:
LiveOrDie wrote:
3x RAM Crucial 16 GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz = 48GB :confused:

I own four but three were seen so far. Can you remove the big quotation from your comment? It's sorta spammy. (thanks!)