cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on whether to purchase GT-AC5300

Markyballs
Level 7
Hi all,
I need to update our Nighthawk r7000 and was thinking of the GT-AC5300. From what I've read, it had many issues early on, but the latest version and firmware have settled many of the connectivity issues. Its expensive, but I'm willing to dive in if its worthwhile. We have a 3000 sqft house, two kids on their devices a good bit and I play PUBG.

Put simply, worth purchasing now or is there a safer option you might suggest?
Thanks in advance!!
6 REPLIES 6

Cybro
Level 7
This router is plagued with issues, even after the latest firmware was pushed a few weeks ago. Review the 1st sticky and decide for yourself . I personally have a GT-AC5300 (main) and an RT-AC5300 (AIMesh node) and have few problems but others that use VPNs (especially) are having horrible issues. I only have the occasional wifi connection drop.

See issues list here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106948-ROG-Rapture-GT-AC5300-Firmware-3-0-0-4-384-45149-re...

Personally, I would suggest save a few $$$ & look into the newer Nighthawk series.

Thanks, I appreciate it!!

Cybro wrote:
This router is plagued with issues, even after the latest firmware was pushed a few weeks ago. Review the 1st sticky and decide for yourself . I personally have a GT-AC5300 (main) and an RT-AC5300 (AIMesh node) and have few problems but others that use VPNs (especially) are having horrible issues. I only have the occasional wifi connection drop.

See issues list here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106948-ROG-Rapture-GT-AC5300-Firmware-3-0-0-4-384-45149-re...

Personally, I would suggest save a few $$$ & look into the newer Nighthawk series.

I agree! I have wasted so much money on that router...not stable at all!

Honestly, I would go with an RT-AX88u or TP-link Archer AX6000. I have both plus the GT-AC5300, RT-AC5300 and Netgear r9000. Both AX routers are working without issues and I highly recommend both. RT-AX88u I would give a slight edge to because it has more configuration options and Merlin supports it. The RT-AC5300 works well and is running Merlin's firmware but is limited to 4 lan ports. The netgear is so so but with a simple network configuration would probably work well. The GT is nothing but a paperweight. Every firmware update seems to make it worse.

stay away from GT-AC5300!

JackNaylorPE
Level 10
From a stability standpoint, I have had no issues whatsoever. I have posted three threads here .. 1) about not being able to see our wide format plotter .... one about using USB printer plugged into router as a networked printer and another regarding Windows error messages about name resolution for some hub thing that I have no idea what it is. These questions have also been submitted to Asus tech support by phone (1st level was incoherent and answers were unrelated to questions, said 2nd level would call back later) ... still waiting. E-mail inquires have been non responsive addressing questions I didn't ask. The sent me a link to to a MFP utility without mentioning what it is for or what problem it addresses.

I saw all the issues before the latest firmware and I can say I have never experienced any of those... however the complete lack of responses from tech support would have me recommending that you do not purchase any Asus products at all. We have been building PCs since the early 1990s and pretty much used Asus MoBos and GFX cards exclusively, later adding mice, Monitors and other products. At this point, having been disappointed recently with Tech Support on many products, unless things change (before the return window expires on this router) , will be taking all Asus products off our component offerings.
October 26 Build
MoBo:Max VI Formula
RAM:16GB Mushkin DDR3-2400 10-12-12-28
GFX:2x Asus GTX780 DCII
HD: 2x Seagate 2TB Hybrid SSHD
SSD:2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
PSU:Seasonic X-1250
Case:Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Monitor:Asus VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz
Optical:Asus BR Burner
KB: Logitech G19s
Mouse:RoG GX950
Fan Con.: Six Eyes
Cooling:420+280 Alphacool Rads, 35x2 Pump, EK CPU/ GPU Blocks, Acrylic Tubes w/ BP Fit