cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Thermal Throttling Problem

Basil12
Level 7
Hello everyone,
I'm not sure If I am on the right side of the forum as I've just registered but here it goes.

I recently bought a G703VI and I'm having some trouble with performance deficiency issues.
While on idle, CPU seems to be working at about 50 degrees celcius but the strange thing is it jumps to 80 degrees for just a second and then falls down to its normal state as nothing happened. My initial guess was that it was just caused by a glitch, but gaming and some monitoring shows otherwise. While gaming, from time to time I notice a fps loss which lasts about 1 or 2 seconds. I checked the CPU usage and temps with XTU and thermal throttling was spiking like crazy. I tried undervolting about 0.005-0.01V but the problem still persists. I maxed out the fan speed to observe how CPU temp will react. Apart from a few degree decrease, it still hits 97-98 celcius randomly. I've attached the weird screenshots I took from XTU while gaming. Could it be because of a faulty BIOS? Or is it a hardware problem?

ATTACH=CONFIG]78711[/ATTACH]7871278713787117871278713
4 REPLIES 4

feedmeink
Level 12
It sounds like either the ihs on the cpu is concave, or it is not making decent contact with the thermal paste. Take the cpu out and try and spin on your table. If it spins, might be a good idea to lap the ihs on very very fine wet sandpaper. If it shows which core is throttling, that might give a decent idea. Not sure if that program shows each core temp. If not, try using a program called coretemp or hwinfo. If one or two of the cores are normal temp, and a couple start jumping, it could very well be the ihs, or possibly not a flat surface on the cooler.

feedmeink wrote:
It sounds like either the ihs on the cpu is concave, or it is not making decent contact with the thermal paste. Take the cpu out and try and spin on your table. If it spins, might be a good idea to lap the ihs on very very fine wet sandpaper. If it shows which core is throttling, that might give a decent idea. Not sure if that program shows each core temp. If not, try using a program called coretemp or hwinfo. If one or two of the cores are normal temp, and a couple start jumping, it could very well be the ihs, or possibly not a flat surface on the cooler.

I think you are right!. Here are the temps while on Overwatch. I may not be able to do it myself as I'm afraid I might screw things up. Do you think warranty will cover this?

Yeah, it should. I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to lap the ihs. Hold onto that screenshot incase they want proof. Just tell them three cores run extremely hot and you want a replacement. If you remove the cooler does it look like the paste is making full contact?

To get a better idea, you can stress test with aida64 cpu only, just to make sure it isn't the game using primarily those cores. Aida64 will put full load on all cores at once so you can monitor them. Or send for a replacement and try again