cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6E and 2 small questions

dagcan
Level 7
Hi, i am building a new pc and since it has been over 14 years from the last i built i am a bit rusty.

I bought below parts and i am starting to put them together
1- Rampage VI Extreme
2- Dual Strix 1080TI OC in SLI
3- Samsung 1TB NVMe
4- Delidded I9 7940x
5- 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ Ram

What i want to ask is;
1- I know that R6E is a high end motherboard and have premium quality onboard sound but i am considering buying 2 or 4 studio monitors (dynaudio lyd 7 to be exact) and a sub to have 2.1 or 4.1 sound environment, can onboard sound handle those monitors or should i buy a dedicated sound card like "STRIX RAID DLX" or "Xonar Essence STX II" ? Would there be a noticable difference between onboard and dedicated sound card, would i benefit from a dedicated sound card? If i do, which of those cards above should i buy... I know that audio is a subjective topic but since i never bought studio monitors i want to make sure i get it right and have the best sound i can...

2- Considering i will be using 2x1080TI in SLI and possibly a sound card, where should i put my NVMe drive? Should i put it to m2 slot under the cover which uses PCH or to the slot right next to rams which uses CPU?
10 REPLIES 10

feedmeink
Level 12
I don't use sli but I can't imagine any negative impact from using the area under the cover and sharing pch. I use the m.2 under the cover just because its cleaner. Temps are fine. What cooling solution for the cpu are you planning on using? X299 platform gets extremely hot.

I am trying to go full custom loop, i actually have questions about this too... For cooling i got

1- Water blocks for 1080TI's, cpu, vrm. Since my 7940x is delidded i decided to go direct die cooling thats why i bought seperate blocks for cpu and vrms...
2- 2x EKWB CE 560 radiators
3- 2x EKWB D5 pumps
4- 4x helix reservoirs

As a side note, this is a desk pc not a case... It took about 6 weeks for me to plan for proper air flow, design and have it built. Btw is there an advantege or disadvantage for making 2 seperate loops instead of 1 big loop with 2 pumps in different places other than not having to empty one if other fails? Right now my loop order is rad -> res -> pump -> cpu&vrm -> rad -> res -> pump -> gpu's

LiveOrDie
Level 11
If you do install your M.2 under the plastic cover it will need air flow, my 960 pros memory controller temps sat on 80c before giving it the airflow it needed.

LiveOrDie wrote:
If you do install your M.2 under the plastic cover it will need air flow, my 960 pros memory controller temps sat on 80c before giving it the airflow it needed.

I got 1x200mm fan right under motherboard and 3x120mm fans less than 10cm away of the motherboard and m2 cover, all pushing air in... Isnt that enough?

dagcan wrote:
I got 1x200mm fan right under motherboard and 3x120mm fans less than 10cm away of the motherboard and m2 cover, all pushing air in... Isnt that enough?

Should be fine then, single loop is all you need, two in most cases isn't needed.

rjbarker
Level 11
Ive always ran a a single loop / single pump w 480*360*240 Rads with SLi.....no issues and great temps:

Presently 9900K @ 5 - 5.1 Ghz (EK Velocity) and SLi 1080Ti's (FC EKWB) w single D5 Vario / XSPC Rez combo

Temps gaming:
CPU Max 53c
GPU's Max 38c both

I think some people prefer two loops to increase overclocking potential, but I run same loop for all with a temp sensor on one of the fittings. Water temp never goes above 33c durring long sessions of testing. I run 3 360mm rads. 2 are 47mm thick. One is 30mm thick. Loop order shouldn't matter too much. Mine I am stuck in a situation where the order is res, rad, gpu, cpu, vrm block, rad, rad back to res.

Also m.2 under the cover stays between 30 and 50c. Although I have bottom intake, so first thing it pushes over is the bottom of the motherboard

rjbarker
Level 11
As someone pointed out before.....biggest advantage to 2 separate loops is the ability to swap out GPU's leaving CPU loop unaffected....