cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get into Bios on Max XI Form when connected via Disp Port to PG27UQ

kshafe777
Level 7
Ok, as the title says, I cannot get into bios ( any way at all ) on my Maximus XI Formula connected to My PG27UQ via Display Port Cable.

here are the details:

first - the configuration that I tore it down to in order to eliminate possible issues -
Asus Maximus XI Formula
took the 64 GB Trident Z 3600 speed ram down to two sticks to make sure wasn't ram issue
Samsung 970 EVO m.2 connected to M.2_1 slot
Asus Strix 1080TI - OC edition
Corsair AX1200i PSU

This is my *Second* Max XI Formula mb.. first one was RMA'd due to this and a CMOS Error that kept coming up.
if I have the PG27UQ connected via Display port cable ( initially using the one that comes with the monitor from Asus ) there is no way into bios. I have tried;
1) hitting del key continuously ( never see the post screen, just goes straight to win desktop )
2) hitting F2 key continuously
3) doing a shift+restart to open windows troubleshooting mode and trying to go to UEFI
4) changed post time to 10 seconds ( I did this later when I figured out what the problem was... )
5) taking out boot drive ( just goes to HDD error and doesn't advance.. no option to get to bios )
6) unplugging cpu fans to try and force a cpu fan error and prompt for F1 to enter setup
7) held down Clear CMOS button
😎 removed CMOS battery
9) yes.. all devices were disconnected from MB other than mouse / keyboard
10) did bios update from 0602 to 0805 using BIOS Flashback on back of board
11) did fresh install of Windows 10 ( obviously, but need to state that ) with nothing loaded.
12) moved m.2 drive from slot 1 to slot 2
13) removed m.2 drive and connected ssd drive via sata port 2 with Fresh win 10 installed ( version 1809 )
14) swapped 1080ti to 2080ti and got same results
15) swapped the Display port cable that came with PG27UQ to a Certified Display Port Cable.
16) switched to HDMI 2.0 Cable and everything works.. except high refresh rate is now not possible because HDMI caps at 60 hz

when I got beyond this I remember that I had done my hardware testing before installing into case by connecting to a 1080p monitor I have using HDMI 2.0 Cable... so.. I switched to and HDMI cable, and vioalla.. I can get to bios. I have checked every possible bios setting to see if there is something that is set strange that could cause an issue accessing BiOs with DP hooked up.. but I can't find anything.

my conclusion is that there is some sort strange compatibility issue between the Maximus XI Formula MB and the PG27UQ when connected via DP. I don't have another monitor that uses DP to test that it's not just a DP connectivity issue.. but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised.

Any help from ASUS would be appreciated as the current solution is that if I want to use the monitor to game and be in widows, I can be connected via DP, when I want to get to bios, I have to swtich to HDMI. this is $2,000 monitor paired with a $$450 ( overpriced ) motherboard.... and they don't work properly.

I also have a Maximus XI Extreme, and that works when paired with PG27UQ...
"Better to try and Fail, then not try at all" ~ Michael Jordan
favorite YouTuber - KDSTech - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0zF8nTziWiBx3v6CNR3yw
12 REPLIES 12

technomation
Level 7
I have the same issue with my recent Maximus XI Formula build with nearly all the same components (exceptions are 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200 and EVGA 2080 RTX Ti). Initially I was able to get into the BIOS first doing mild overclocks manually. After about a month, I tried the AI Optimizer to overclock more aggressively. AI overclocking succeeded, but the system started going straight to Windows, with no way to get back into the BIOS. It’s now stuck in AI Optimizer mode, and oscillates between 4.9 and 5.1GHz on all cores every time I boot up. I had tried your steps 1), 2), 3), 5), 7), and seeing that 0805 was just released, was hoping that doing your 10) would fix the problem. Afterward I called Asus support, and they basically said to do many of these same steps and if that didn’t work, send the board in for repair (they did not offer to replace it). After a month of smooth operation, I assumed the rig was stable, had put all my work stuff on it, retired my old rig, and so would rather not have to tear everything apart and be down for several weeks waiting on a repair. Appreciate your post and glad to see what happened when you tried all these things and especially your suggestion of 16). Will hunt up an HDMI 2.0 cable and give it a try. From your description and what I’ve experienced, seems there could be a systematic timing defect with the Max XI Form that rears its head once you speed up things.

chevell65
Level 12
Are you certain that Windows is installed as UEFI? The install has to be done via UEFI.

Once you are certain of that you need to check that CSM is disabled or maybe try the Auto setting for CSM.

Once CSM is disabled, you can't boot an operating system that is not UEFI compliant.

CSM Disabled = UEFI only available.
CSM Enabled = Legacy OS install + UEFI OS install available.

Everything I've looked up this says that this is the fix for display port not showing bios issues so maybe will work for you.

It's a GPT disk and SysInfo confirms Boot Mode is UEFI. Also, there was no problem for the first month entering the BIOS. I'd see the ROG logo, hit F2 a couple of times, and it would pop right up. It was after overclocking that the BIOS became inaccessible.

One of the things neither of you mentioned was trying to run the computer from the iGPU by removing the graphics card. I certainly would try that.

Try setting your display to 60Hz in Windows, then reboot and try to enter BIOS.

SirWaWa
Level 7

That's interesting that it could actually be NVIDIA's problem. I swapped my Display Port cable for HDMI and, like kshafe777, was then able to get into the BIOS. The NVIDIA fix is almost 8 months old; strange that Asus L2 support doesn't know about it. Has anyone else tried it to make sure it works and that it doesn't cause other problems?

technomation wrote:
That's interesting that it could actually be NVIDIA's problem. I swapped my Display Port cable for HDMI and, like kshafe777, was then able to get into the BIOS. The NVIDIA fix is almost 8 months old; strange that Asus L2 support doesn't know about it. Has anyone else tried it to make sure it works and that it doesn't cause other problems?

You can always back up your gpu BIOS with GPU-Z before trying it. Then you can revert to old BIOS if it's no good.

NVIDIA is not showing that this firmware update supports GE Force Series 20 Turing graphics cards, only Series 10 and older (see Supported Products tab):

https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x86.html