cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High end memory kit - Overclock scaling?

Jaz11
Level 7
Hi

I am working on a stable 24/7 memory clock. I bought a high end Trident Z 4000c17 17 17 37 2T kit. I had high expectations that i could either push frequency much higher or timings a good bit lower. So far not having a great deal of luck. I presume its samsung Bdie

Im using memtest86 version 8.1 boot from USB in bios which seems to be the most accurate and recommended way of finding errors. Memtest64 in windows does not. Aida 64 benchmark doesnt either.

Ive managed to get 4000mhz c16 16 16 37 2T no errors. i set Dram to 1.49v as im happy to run that daily. VCCCIO and VCCSA to 1.27v.

I can boot windows and run games and stress tests fine with 4133 c16 16 16 36 but memtest86 finds errors so doesnt seem like it would be a good daily clock.
6 REPLIES 6

mdzcpa
Level 12
Jaz11 wrote:
Hi

I am working on a stable 24/7 memory clock. I bought a high end Trident Z 4000c17 17 17 37 2T kit. I had high expectations that i could either push frequency much higher or timings a good bit lower. So far not having a great deal of luck. I presume its samsung Bdie

Im using memtest86 version 8.1 boot from USB in bios which seems to be the most accurate and recommended way of finding errors. Memtest64 in windows does not. Aida 64 benchmark doesnt either.

Ive managed to get 4000mhz c16 16 16 37 2T no errors. i set Dram to 1.49v as im happy to run that daily. VCCCIO and VCCSA to 1.27v.

I can boot windows and run games and stress tests fine with 4133 c16 16 16 36 but memtest86 finds errors so doesnt seem like it would be a good daily clock.

You are actually getting very good results already. 4000mhz and above is a tall order for many CPUs. You need a strong IMC to hit above 4000 with tight timings. Also, as that kit is already binned for 4000 17Q, I suspect there may not be more left in it, or it would have been binned at 4133.

I would try pushing your SA up a tad more pushing into the kind of clocks you are trying to achieve. You may need 1.3v. Then again, scaling down might be needed. At the speeds you are looking for, its a game of trial and error as it is all CPU (IMC) dependent.

mdzcpa wrote:
You are actually getting very good results already. 4000mhz and above is a tall order for many CPUs. You need a strong IMC to hit above 4000 with tight timings. Also, as that kit is already binned for 4000 17Q, I suspect there may not be more left in it, or it would have been binned at 4133.

I would try pushing your SA up a tad more pushing into the kind of clocks you are trying to achieve. You may need 1.3v. Then again, scaling down might be needed. At the speeds you are looking for, its a game of trial and error as it is all CPU (IMC) dependent.

Ok thanks this makes me feel a little better. I have set vccsa to 1.34v and doesn't seem to help unfortunately. I may just be at my Imc limits i think

x-rated
Level 8
try these settings 🙂
EXTREME TWEAKER:
DRAM Frequency.....................................DDR4-4266 MHz
DRAM Voltage.......................................1.4500
CPU VCCIO Voltage..................................1.30000
CPU System Agent Voltage...........................1.30000

EXTREME TWEAKER -> DRAM TIMING CONTROL:
Maximus Tweak......................................Mode 1
DRAM CAS# Latency..................................17
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay............................18
DRAM RAS# ACT Time.................................38

x-rated wrote:
try these settings 🙂
EXTREME TWEAKER:
DRAM Frequency.....................................DDR4-4266 MHz
DRAM Voltage.......................................1.4500
CPU VCCIO Voltage..................................1.30000
CPU System Agent Voltage...........................1.30000

EXTREME TWEAKER -> DRAM TIMING CONTROL:
Maximus Tweak......................................Mode 1
DRAM CAS# Latency..................................17
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay............................18
DRAM RAS# ACT Time.................................38

Thanks. I gave it a go. Tried to boot a few times but no luck

x-rated
Level 8
if you are on some maximus xi board, try it with bios 0602 🙂

1. More VCCSA and VCCIO can be just as detrimental to stability as less. These voltages can require tuning.

2. If looking to hit speeds above 4K then you ideally need to purchase a memory kit that is binned for those speeds. I too have a 4K memory kit here that does not hit 4133 unconditionally on a 4 DIMM board.

3. To test memory stability use HCI Memtest Pro or RAMTest. Memtest86+ does not stress modern platforms enough to establish a baseline for stability.

4. Highest obtainable frequency is dependant on the modules, CPU sample and motherboard.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090