cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem With G74SX-A1 blu ray DVD Combo Drive

hunt7000
Level 7
I have a G74SX-A1 ASUS laptop for almost a year now ... but for a month now i have a problem with the Blu RayDVD Combo Drive .. it doesn't appear any more in my computer nor in the device manager ... and when i press the eject button nothing happens .. i don't know what to do and i have sent ASUS support a mail about this problem last week and still no answer ... my cousin bought the laptop for me from amazon.com and he is in america and i'm in Egypt ... please if any one can help please replay ... thanks
10 REPLIES 10

BrodyBoy
Level 10
It's been completely gone in Device Manager for a month? Or is the "disappearing" intermittent?

I would suggest you go into the BIOS and make sure the optical drive has not become locked somehow.

BrodyBoy wrote:
It's been completely gone in Device Manager for a month? Or is the "disappearing" intermittent?

I would suggest you go into the BIOS and make sure the optical drive has not become locked somehow.

sorry but i don't know what "disappearing" means ... Is that an option in the device manager to disappear a device?? or what ??
the problem with me is that the dvd drive gone completely from the device manager

and can you tell me how to go into the BIOS also ... sorry if i'm asking too much 🙂

the photo will show you the problem

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Sorry....I was just wondering if it is ALWAYS gone, or comes and goes. You just answered my question...it seems it's always gone.

I don't understand how that DTSOFT Virtual CD Rom driver got installed....that seems odd to me. Before going into the BIOS, can you try uninstalling that DTSOFT device (in Device Manager), and then rebooting? Windows should detect the optical drive and install its own drivers.

Report back what happens.

I did that before ... and like the photo the DVD\CD-ROM drives tab disappears completely

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Let's check whether it's been disabled in the BIOS. (Navigate within the BIOS using the arrow keys, and don't change anything but what's discussed here.)

• Reboot and press F2 immediately after the computer powers back up . If you don't get into BIOS Setup, try again.
  • Go to the "Security" tab.
  • Go down to "I/O Interface Security" (at the very bottom of the page)
  • Make sure that "SATA ODD Interface" in Unlocked

checked .. and it's unlocked

fuzon1337
Level 10
You could try to take out the ODD and remove it and then reconnect it. To see if that helps.

This is simple and not difficult to do, so here is a link with pictures (scroll down on that link until you see this text: "1. Remove 1 screw on the ODD and take the ODD away").
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
You could try to take out the ODD and remove it and then reconnect it. To see if that helps.

This is simple and not difficult to do, so here is a link with pictures (scroll down on that link until you see this text: "1. Remove 1 screw on the ODD and take the ODD away").

Thanks fuzon1337 but i think it will be difficult for me to do this ... actually I'm afraid to do something wrong and you know it's pretty expensive machine ... if there is any thing else i can do with the software please tell me ... or else I will send it to the asus support technicians here in Egypt although i don't trust them ... so it will be my last move ... but in the end thank you for helping

TheGreatTurtle
Level 7
I know this is an old thread but it doesn't hurt to add to the knowledge. I just dealt with the same issue. My environment was a bit different. I had PowerISO installed. I connected an external USB hard drive (fresh from the box) and was transferring data. I burned some files to a DVD-R when PowerISO popped up telling me a drive letter was already assigned and it was moving the two virtual drives to different drive letters. After that, my DVD drive stopped working.

1) Checked registry and cleared Lowerlimit Data for the ODD - Restart - Still no DVD drive
2) Uninstalled PowerISO - Restart - Still no DVD drive
3) Removed external USB drive - Restart - Still no DVD drive
4) Checked BIOS and under Security the ODD was unlocked - Restart - Still no DVD drive
5) Did a system restore to a few days prior to this post - Restart - Still no DVD drive
6) Physically removed the DVD drive, checked port, connectors, internals for excessive dust. Did a puff puff blow on all parts. Reinstalled and SHAZAM!! my drive is working again.

All said and done, I believe it just needed a bit of a clean and reseating. I know that sounds silly, but I've been working with electronics for 22 years and sometimes that is all it takes.

Hope this helps.