Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    ROG Strix Scar II Concerns

    First time getting a gaming laptop for the go and had some questions about the ROG Strix Scar II .


    1. Does the laptop support XMP memory overclocking past 2666mhz with higher memory, or should I stick with 2666mhz and get dual channel memory with tight timings?
    2. Who makes the NVME drive? I may just switch it out with a Samsung 970 PRO 512GB if it's a mediocre drive.
    3. Any other laptops coming out I should just wait for, this seems like a fair value, and a 1070 non max-Q.
    4. Should I apply liquid metal to CPU/GPU instead of stock paste?






    Thanks!

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    120

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Meitantei View Post
    First time getting a gaming laptop for the go and had some questions about the ROG Strix Scar II .

    Quote Originally Posted by Meitantei View Post
    1. Does the laptop support XMP memory overclocking past 2666mhz with higher memory, or should I stick with 2666mhz and get dual channel memory with tight timings?
    1. You can use GRUB to manually switch mode of RAM -> i've used to push to 2666Mhz. You can read about here in my thread, and in my thread here on BiosMods. If you're interested, i would ask you to join my efforts for bringing modified BIOS to masses. Thank you)
      Quote Originally Posted by Meitantei View Post
      Who makes the NVME drive? I may just switch it out with a Samsung 970 PRO 512GB if it's a mediocre drive.

    It's mediocre Toshiba (however, pretty fine) i have this device from stock THNSN5256GPU7 TOSHIBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Meitantei View Post
    Any other laptops coming out I should just wait for, this seems like a fair value, and a 1070 non max-Q.
    I can't find any particular reason to by overpriced RTX2070 -> 1070 mod is absoultely fine (ultimate after liquid metal, if you're an enthusiast you can modify cruves and push GTX 1070 really far).
    Quote Originally Posted by Meitantei View Post
    Should I apply liquid metal to CPU/GPU instead of stock paste?
    Ohhhh yeassss ... check my guide )))

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Thanks for reply!

    So, roughly a 10c drop in temperatures is to be expected with liquid metal for this laptop? I think I will go ahead and give it a go then.


    Hm, yeah...I will get the Samsung and just sell the Toshiba one.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •