New ROGer Array

ROG Strix Scar II Concerns

First time getting a gaming laptop for the go and had some questions about the ROG Strix Scar II .

1. Does the laptop support XMP memory overclocking past 2666mhz with higher memory, or should I stick with 2666mhz and get dual channel memory with tight timings?
    2. Who makes the NVME drive? I may just switch it out with a Samsung 970 PRO 512GB if it's a mediocre drive.
    3. Any other laptops coming out I should just wait for, this seems like a fair value, and a 1070 non max-Q.
    4. Should I apply liquid metal to CPU/GPU instead of stock paste?

Thanks!

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Meitantei View Post
    First time getting a gaming laptop for the go and had some questions about the ROG Strix Scar II .

1. Does the laptop support XMP memory overclocking past 2666mhz with higher memory, or should I stick with 2666mhz and get dual channel memory with tight timings?
    1. You can use GRUB to manually switch mode of RAM -> i've used to push to 2666Mhz. You can read about here in my thread, and in my thread here on BiosMods. If you're interested, i would ask you to join my efforts for bringing modified BIOS to masses. Thank you)
      Who makes the NVME drive? I may just switch it out with a Samsung 970 PRO 512GB if it's a mediocre drive.

It's mediocre Toshiba (however, pretty fine) i have this device from stock THNSN5256GPU7 TOSHIBA

Any other laptops coming out I should just wait for, this seems like a fair value, and a 1070 non max-Q.
    I can't find any particular reason to by overpriced RTX2070 -> 1070 mod is absoultely fine (ultimate after liquid metal, if you're an enthusiast you can modify cruves and push GTX 1070 really far).
    Should I apply liquid metal to CPU/GPU instead of stock paste?
    Ohhhh yeassss ... check my guide )))

New ROGer Array

Thanks for reply!

So, roughly a 10c drop in temperatures is to be expected with liquid metal for this laptop? I think I will go ahead and give it a go then.

Hm, yeah...I will get the Samsung and just sell the Toshiba one.