cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Scar II Concerns

Meitantei
Level 7
First time getting a gaming laptop for the go and had some questions about the ROG Strix Scar II .

• Does the laptop support XMP memory overclocking past 2666mhz with higher memory, or should I stick with 2666mhz and get dual channel memory with tight timings?

• Who makes the NVME drive? I may just switch it out with a Samsung 970 PRO 512GB if it's a mediocre drive.

• Any other laptops coming out I should just wait for, this seems like a fair value, and a 1070 non max-Q.

• Should I apply liquid metal to CPU/GPU instead of stock paste?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

McCoy
Level 8
Meitantei wrote:
First time getting a gaming laptop for the go and had some questions about the ROG Strix Scar II .

Meitantei wrote:

• Does the laptop support XMP memory overclocking past 2666mhz with higher memory, or should I stick with 2666mhz and get dual channel memory with tight timings?
    You can use GRUB to manually switch mode of RAM -> i've used to push to 2666Mhz. You can read about here in my thread, and in my thread here on BiosMods. If you're interested, i would ask you to join my efforts for bringing modified BIOS to masses. Thank you)
    Meitantei wrote:
    Who makes the NVME drive? I may just switch it out with a Samsung 970 PRO 512GB if it's a mediocre drive.

It's mediocre Toshiba (however, pretty fine) i have this device from stock THNSN5256GPU7 TOSHIBA

Meitantei wrote:
Any other laptops coming out I should just wait for, this seems like a fair value, and a 1070 non max-Q.

I can't find any particular reason to by overpriced RTX2070 -> 1070 mod is absoultely fine (ultimate after liquid metal, if you're an enthusiast you can modify cruves and push GTX 1070 really far).
Meitantei wrote:
Should I apply liquid metal to CPU/GPU instead of stock paste?

Ohhhh yeassss ... check my guide )))

Thanks for reply!

So, roughly a 10c drop in temperatures is to be expected with liquid metal for this laptop? I think I will go ahead and give it a go then.

Hm, yeah...I will get the Samsung and just sell the Toshiba one.