cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New BIOS's are making overclocking unstable! Cannot get 5.2GHz with BIOS 1801 !

evo4ever86
Level 9
Hello all.

I've been updating my BIOS since I bought my mobo, we're currently at 1801. Over the past few BIOS updates my overclocked settings have become unstable. I can't remember which BIOS it was but I could overclock my 8700K to 5.2GHz. Then a new BIOS came out and knocked my overclock down to 5.1GHz, and the current one will only stabilise at 5050MHz using BCLK @ 101. Can I flash back to the first release version ?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Help appreciated guys.
3 REPLIES 3

Sammies
Level 7
Hey,

I am in exactly the same boat! Updated the BIOS to 1801 from 1401 and now my 5.2GHz OC is no longer stable even with slightly more voltage.

Today I have been trying to downgrade the BIOS back to 1401 but I keep getting the error "selected file is not a proper bios" when in EZFlash which I assume is because ASUS doesn't want us going back to old BIOS version. If anyone knows how to downgrade that would be great?!

Disapointing that an overclock can be stable for 6+ months on one BIOS and then is completely screwed with an update.

Sam

Menthol
Level 14
On Z 370 - 390 boards you can downgrade your bios using Ez Flash in bios or at least I have no issue doing so
Flash back method was needed a couple generations ago and is preferred by many people as the safest way to flash your bios

Sammies,
Try re downloading bios again and unzip, maybe try a different USB drive, it should work

Good to know. I have been camped out on 1704 debating whether or not to go to the latest. I'll probably just keep this.