cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chosing bettwen maximus 10 code and maximus 11 extreme

Ajinta
Level 7
Hello everyone.

I have a question for you about latest Maximus IX boards. Me myself is using Maximus X code and 8700k with it. My co-worker is building his system right now and also decided on 8700k. Both of us might upgrade our CPUs in the future when 8 cores will be used in games. We are both intending to have our systems for long time like 5 years and only change graphic cards in lets say 3 years. I build mine last summer and Maximus code being essentially same board as formula was basicly best one around. My co-worker is looking at Maximus xi boards but than we found out that Hero/code/formula all has same vrm which is kinda bad. Not terrible but being some strange crossbread of 4 and 8 phases which in general gets 10c hotter than rest kinda scared my co-worker a little and also would me. He than looked at the extreme which is said to be better in that regard, but at the same time our local store is selling same bord as I have X code for 280 eurs couse it is z370 model and is going out.

In the end my question stands…will Maximus XI extreme be an overall better board for overclocking 8700k and maybe 9900k in future. Is its VRM sorted out better than rest of 11 series is ? Or is VRMs on maximus 10 code still better and he shall get that one while still aviable for half less money. Talking about money…it aint problem paying premium, but not for staff that doesn’t come premium as computer will have to last long.

Just to know…computer is gonna be pretty packed with 32 gb ram, 2 1080ti sli, 2 nvme drives, 2 regular 10 tb barracudas, 2 regular sata SSDs and a sound card. All will be cooled by 9 noctua fans, fully costum EKWB colling kit having one 240mm and one 420mm radiators.

Also between the maximus x code and xi extreme, is there any difference in overclocking 8700k to 5 ghz. Mine for example on the code is delided one and needs 1.38 vcore to sucesfully pas geekbench of 8 hours…it never gets over 80c and vrms stayed between 45 and 55c. I wonder if extreme would do so with less voltage couse covorker is sensitive to such stuff and wants the best.
5 REPLIES 5

Ajinta
Level 7
Ok so basicly both boards will be effectivlly the same regarding overclocks and voltages ? vell build will be watercooled by EK but it will never see such extremes as LN2. So it is basicly the best choise to grab Maximus 10 code for 280 eurs before they are sold as end user probably wont notice any difference goitng to extreme ?

Ajinta
Level 7
Hello, soory to took me some time to respond, but I got ill since. You actually remembered me about Apex and in past didnt really like it couse of its veird shape and only 2 dimms for memory. But this time I found it to be best board...standard atx size, some ligting, superb vrm, and 2x16 ram is same price and performance as 4x8. So I decided to get on with Apex...it is cheaper than extreme and offers same or even better functions than that. It has best vrm of all maximus 11 series.

Ajinta
Level 7
Extreme unfortanatly only looks extreme, vrm is weaker than that of apex and you cant fill all expansion slots on the board. Basicly you cant put anything more on it than on hero basicly. The board that is EATX in size and priced so high should have plx chip to enable everthing being populated in my mind.

Nate152
I can atest the Maximus code motherboards overclock very well, the code is basically the formula minus the cross chill block and some other bling.

Here is my maximus IX code with a delidded 7700k overclocked to 5.3GHz with 1.52v. Now I wouldn't run it here daily, I was just seeing how far I could get. 🙂

Ajinta
Level 7
I thinked that in a sence...Apex is now what extreme was before.