cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCore increase under load

RoadKillerGR
Level 7
Hello everyone! So I've decided to do some overclocking on my 2950X. I decided to run at 4.0GHz and I also decided to undervolt the CPU to 1.2 volts... I have passed a 4 hour OCCT CPU stress test and also 20 passes of IBT at maximum stress. On top of that I've used this configuration for about a week now doing some editing and gaming and the system has been stable so far. However when I monitor my VCore with HwInfo I see it increase under load. It goes from 1.2V to 1.221 or 1.243 depending on the load. Now I know about Vdroop and that to nullify it you need to adjust the LLC, however I've never seen VCore increasing under load whilst it's been set manually... Is this normal or is there something that I should do to combat this?
5 REPLIES 5

feedmeink
Level 12
Not sure if you have done this, but if you are in adaptive, you want to enable c-state. When manual you want to disable c-state. If it truly is a v-droop issue, try adjust LLC lower. The higher LLC the more overshoot can occur

feedmeink wrote:
Not sure if you have done this, but if you are in adaptive, you want to enable c-state. When manual you want to disable c-state. If it truly is a v-droop issue, try adjust LLC lower. The higher LLC the more overshoot can occur

I'm using manual voltage and I have disabled the EPU power saving mode. I've also disabled core performance boost. The LLC that I've been using thus far has been Level 1 as I haven't really experienced what I'd call "traditional" Vdroop as the VCore never goes below what I've set it at. However I do wonder what sort of effect LLC Level -1 and -2 could have...

*EDIT*
I just disabled Global C-State control... VCore still behaves the same way.

RichKnecht
Level 7
I have found that LLC affects vccin and not vcore. Higher LLC settings allow for a more stable vccin. IME, if the vccin drops too low, OC instability can occur.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I think people are confusing their platforms here...

@RoadKillerGR...have you disabled AFR?...can't remember what it's called in BIOS...Core Performance Boost..

EDIT: whoops saw you already did that...hmmm...what happens with LLC on auto?

You set any current cap in Digi+ or anything like that?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I think people are confusing their platforms here...

@RoadKillerGR...have you disabled AFR?...can't remember what it's called in BIOS...Core Performance Boost..

EDIT: whoops saw you already did that...hmmm...what happens with LLC on auto?

You set any current cap in Digi+ or anything like that?

Sorry for taking THIS long to reply. To be honest with you I kinda gave up on it because the system seems to be stable and I haven't experienced any weird behavior... With LLC set on auto the behavior is similar. I also did a test run on LLC -2 and the system crashed. I can confirm however that on LLC -1 the VCore stayed between 1.2-1.221 but I decided to keep it at LLC 1 because I felt like the system was more stable. I can also confirm that the CPU VCore behaves the same way even after I've updated the Mobo's BIOS to 1701. I Haven't set any cap in Digi+. I'm rather new to overclocking so I don't have too much experience. Would you consider this difference in VCore to be within margin of error? Or maybe just an inaccurate reading within HwInfo?