cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the VGA drivers?

xpac5896
Level 8
Just downloaded the new Intel Graphics Accelerator driver for my Maximus X Wi-Fi AC, says to uninstall old version due to a different structure. Went to Display Adapters in device manager and the only thing I see is my Nvidia drivers. So, I'm lost. Where do I find the VGA drivers to uninstall?
4 REPLIES 4

pndiode
Level 11
When you do not have anything plugged into your motherboard display ports it’s usually dormant with a code 45, because it is not being used.

Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices.

And it’s listed under: Uninstall or change a program as Intel Graphics Driver.

I did the View>Show Hidden Devices. Though it did show hidden devices, It did not show the Intel Graphics Driver. I went under All of the devices in the tree and found the Intel Ethernet Connection, The Intel 200 Series Chipset Family PMC & SMBUS, the Intel Management Engine Interface, the Intel Power Engine Plug-in, but no Intel Graphics driver. The Only thing in Programs & Features>Uninstall or change a program is the Intel Management Engine Components.
So I'm guessing after all that, the Intel Graphics Driver was never installed, if it was I have no clue where it could be.
I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I normally use the Nvidia graphics drivers. If those will overide the Intel Graphics drivers, I have no idea.

Yes! That is true if you already have your graphics card installed before installing your operating software. And not using the display ports on your motherboard.

Are you using windows 7 or 8? ? Because windows 10 will eventually load the driver whether you need it or not.

I just switched over to Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and the driver is not there, because I installed the operating software with my graphic cards installed. I never used any version of Windows 8. So, I don't know.

The Intel graphic accelerator driver is only required if you use the motherboard display outputs.

pndiode wrote:
Yes! That is true if you already have your graphics card installed before installing your operating software. And not using the display ports on your motherboard.

Are you using windows 7 or 8? ? Because windows 10 will eventually load the driver whether you need it or not.

I just switched over to Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and the driver is not there, because I installed the operating software with my graphic cards installed. I never used any version of Windows 8. So, I don't know.

The Intel graphic accelerator driver is only required if you use the motherboard display outputs.

My OS, Win 10, was installed with he graphics card in place, so I'm guessing that the Intel droivers were never installed which is fin by me as I would rather use Nvidia for my drivers anyway.
Just for your information "Support for Windows 7 is ending. After January 14, 2020, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7." but you probably already know that, so you will have a choice, go to Win 8 or 10. I went from Win 7, SP1 straight to 10 when it first came out. At first, I had no problems, and in reality, still don't but I was running a mechanical HD. I switched from mechanical to SSD last year and I do have to admit an SSD is much faster than a mechanical drive. Drawback. Windows 10 is a resource hog and it likes reaching out to Microsoft as well as other programs to include Nvidia which I find uses space on your drive to write to. I just installed a Samsung M970 M.2 in my system and after a clean install of Win 10, I had used about 1.0 TBW, give or take. I finished installing the rest of my programs and I had about 1.4 TBW. I did install a game which used about 0.2 TBW, so that increased the TBW from 1.4 to about 1.6. At the present time I have 2.3 TBW and that was in about 2 weeks of use. So bottom line 0.9 TBW has been used by ? If you look at "Task Manager>Performance>Open Resource Manager" in Win 10, it will list all Disk I/O and as long as you have a program open, like Chrome, which I'm using, there are programs constantly writing to your HD. In a mechanical drive it's not noticeable, but using an SSD, it's a totally different story. You know that SSD's do have a TBW limit. I talked to Samsung and the Pro, whichever one you chose, have a better TBW than the regular SSD like the 860 Evo which has 150 TBW, where, using my 970 has a 600 or 1200, depending where you read the specs, TBW. But thats not the point. The point is why is Windows constantly writing? At any one given time, the disk is written to from 3 to 62k constsantly. Ganted, Chrome doesn't help, your virus program doesn't help, you have programs that have auto update, that doesn't help, I would grant you that that there are some things Windows does need to keep track of and I could list all kinds of stuff that Windows is using and it's all being written to disk. I like Win 10 but not with an SSD. Now there may be some that will dispute what I've said but all you have to do is look at the numbers, they don't lie. Once this SSD is done, supposedly 10 years, or 5 depending on how you use it, If they still have mechsnical drives, I'm going back to a mechanical drive. Don't have to worry about TBWs.