cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CH7 + 2700X Overclocking

Mordorr
Level 8
Today i try (again) OC this board/Cpu...

My system:
2700X watercooled
Crossaihero VII + Seasonic 620
8+8 Flarex from Gskill

I had almost everything on Auto except memory to 3200 manually...
Try put this at 4300....errors
Read stick post, change about 50 parametrs,put it at 4100mhz....errors on Sandra, or at least, worst results than stock on Cinebench...

In resume:
I OC since 300A Celeron, and i was never disappointed like now, specially this board. Oc this thing even gives worse results than sotck...:confused:
I need a degree on rocket scientist just to make basic supposedly OC on this combination.....i already know this cpu doesn't OC like my previous Q6600 G0, or AMD 2700 M, but franquely this is a complete disappointment....

Such expensive board and memory's,,,,,for almost nothing. What happen to good old school OC?

Anyway, i have this to basically stock, and choose Level 3 i think to OC....what gives me almost 4000MHZ (worse than my Q6600 G0 10 years ago)...

Sorry the testament, but this combination is (now i recognise) a waste of money....or, at least for me, too much to absorve.....

Anyway.....after complaint so much, can someone give some clues to put this thing at 4200Mhz and better than stock?
46 REPLIES 46

Mordorr
Level 8

This are my present configurations.....any help is welcomed:o
P.S. I use UEFI Bios 0601

MeanMachine
Level 13
OMG where to start. OK so gone are the days of good old school OC.

The AM4 platform is far superior to LGA775 and a 2 core platform. You are also dealing with much faster DDR4 RAM frequencies. They just can't be compared both technically and performance wise.
If you are serious about Overclocking then learn your Bios. It is very comprehensive and from your Photos I see numerous settings set for failure. At default your Auto Voltage on the Core will Overvolt the CPU. 1.517V is excessive leading to high core temps.
To further comment on RAM issues, please list the #Part No of each kit and if I am to understand, you have 2 X 8GB kits. (not good)
OC RAM beyond the JDEC standard requires Bios intervention. Gone too are the days of simple Plug and Play.

Although the MB supports RAM frequencies well beyond 2666Mhz, there is no guarantee you can achieve OC frequencies beyond the JDEC standard such as XMP or D.O.C.P.
Much now relies on manual settings for Primary Timings and Voltage to attain your RAMs rated speed (SPD)
There is simply no way a RAM rated frequency of 2400 or 2666MHz would OC to 4000MHz. You may be able to gain 200MHz or even 600MHz if your lucky but not what you are expecting.

There is much for you to research regarding your setup both here and Overclock.net.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

First, thank you for the reply....all day at work, only now i could answer...

About memory's...aren`t you wrong?
These are Samsung B chips, Gskill Flare X 3200-14D16GFX...supposedly they OC quite well here...:p

Went to UIFI because i was intrigued with such high value on Core and i get this (didn't change nothing)
Now they are more realistic....

I really do not want a serious, radical, before crash OC, but can you point me some basic directions?

Also, it would be a great tread, if Power users could share the hardware and Bios configurations, to us, newbies, could have a better start...just saying.

Thank you!

MeanMachine
Level 13
There are many avid Overclockers and some of the best are here on this Forum. How you go about developing your Overclocking skills is to do the hard yards and research.
No one is going to give you their Hardware or Bios configurations with an expected fix. Every system is different depending on Case config, CPU,PSU, RAM, cooling system etc.
If the question is asked correctly and it attracts one of the more senior Overclockers then you may get a recommendation that works for you.

Overclocking starts with an understanding of your Bios and making minor changes to help stabilize the system under load. You DO NOT make arbitrary changes to settings without knowing the consequence of those changes. You start with your CPU in default mode and stress testing the system to obtain a base line for Overclocking. This is to determine how your system is behaving temperature wise and to check PSU power delivery.

I noticed immediately that in default mode your CPU voltage is excessive at 1.517V. You change this in Bios by selecting CPU core voltage to manual. You are then able to override or offset your core voltage. Best is to first Override and set Core voltage an initial low voltage say 1.3~V and test to see if the system boots Ok. If not then increase core voltage in small jumps of .02V till stable and the system boots. A stress test is done to again check on your temperatures and power delivery and this is done at each phase of the Overclock.

If OK and the system is stable then by observing results of your stress test you can make your first Overclock and this should be done in stages of say 200MHz with a slight increase in core voltage to remain stable. It's then a matter of rinse and repeat till you are satisfied with your efforts or reach a WALL where you can't climb or go around no matter what you do.
There are some very good third party apps to help get your max Overclock: ROG CPUz, AIDA64 and Realbench for stress testing.

This is just the start with simple Overclocking. To obtain your MAX Overclock, depends now on trial and error and such things as LLC (Load Line Calibration) (+ - Offsets) to control minor voltage fluctuations when under load.

BTW: Am I wrong about memory? NO.

When DIMMs are manufactured they are binned in a selective process to determine what stable frequency they can maintain and to match modules in pairs or quads.
When tested, if a module can attain a stable frequency of 4000MHz then it would be matched and sold as a tested kit. You pay more for high frequency RAM and the higher they bin then the more you pay.
DIMMs with Samsung B-Die chips at 3200Mhz seem to be a sweet spot with R 2700X (WHEN CONFIGURED CORRECTLY)
As 3000MHz is considered OC RAM then they will default to a lower frequency as determined by your CMOS during POST. It is then up to you to determine their best achievable frequency with changes to Primary (and sometimes secondary) Timings and Dram voltage in "DRAM Timing control" within Bios.

I notice you have attracted/hijacked Gupsterg in another thread. Listen wisely, he has a lot of good things to help you.

I hope this introduction is helpful.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Thank you for all text, advices and directions!

Yes i did, because i think is more straight to the point....if you now at i mean...

Meanwhile, i did update the FW to 1002, because your advice.....

I defenily need read more about this board and cpu because is HUGE options and variables...

I do remember OC Core voltage, to the limit and then do down until i get instability....but even that simple operation, here, for me, is alien...

Yesterday night i read all stick treat about OC this tread.....but it raises more questions......

Time to return work and really life!

Again, thank you for all effort and help. Hope make some progress and share with others too!:cool:

MeanMachine
Level 13
Your Welcome Mordorr 🙂

After a while and if your interested enough, your Bios becomes second nature. For some it is frustrating and mainly because of unreal expectation. Many try to MAX out an Overclock in one hit without following the rules and wonder why it's not working, are disappointed and come here complaining.

Regarding what seems alien to you and considered a simple operation when adjusting Voltages is fundamental in Overclocking. remember that the higher the voltage then the more heat generated and heat when Overclocking is your Nemesis. Also, Voltage increases work exponentially regarding heat generated. As we are dealing in Millivolts then minor changes in voltage can make a significant difference in stability when demand is high.

To help with your research, here are some worthwhile links to the best in the business:

gupsterg at Overclock.net https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1625015-ryzen-essential-info-link-owners-info-db.html

For light hearted reading: Arnes guide to Overclocking Happiness: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100440-Arne-s-Guide-to-OverClocking-Happiness-meme-that-CP...!

Youtube vids I recommend: J.Js excellent guide to simple Overclocking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTym8Pyw9eI

Another guide on MAX Overclocking by JayzTwoCents : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZRjoeyz4Z0

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Ok.

Done some heavy OC, but Sandra fater 1 minute give error......
I was posting here UEFI tune when my PC freeze. Had to reboot, and enter a previous not so agressive OC...seems to pass on Sandra at least more then 1 minute:

It seems what ever i do, 4000Mhz is my (own) limit:rolleyes:

Previous tune, but unstable:

This is unstable....Sandra gives error 40 seconds after start.......any advice?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Can I ask how you are cooling the CPU

Things are seriously hot...like close to thermal throttling

Tdie shouldn't be over 68 really if you want the CPU to live long and prosper

Im cooling with the Best:

Custom WC and Heatkiller IV WB Platinium version. The temps you see is because Sandra is stressing at 100% CPU and Memory....now i write is at 25º

Rockford:

If you don't have any contribute to my tread, please kindly don't botter, since you look toxic.....:mad: