cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VT Reset to factory state completely.

Mr__Nameless
Level 8
Before i get people telling me to search my topic and look at stickies, i did, i just have some questions.
What i want to do is fully reset and wipe my 2 drives (C which is SSD and D which is HDD) and start-over as if i had just bought the laptop with nothing on them except ALL the pre-installed ASUS software that came with it, instructions and opinions differed in every post i read and i am actually confused right now as to what i should do for my situation.

• If backup my eSupport folder to a USB drive and then fully format my windows through windows media creation tool on a usb and then run AsInsWiz.exe, will that be it? Will i have factory reset it just fine and still have all asus software and start screen and what-not?
  • Should i do the above or reset through the windows "reset pc" setting? (but i want to do the full thing so its fully clean and only with asus software)
  • If none of the above is correct, what do i need to do to get the result i want (have my g752vt laptop like if i just bought it)
7 REPLIES 7

jdfrench3
Level 12
Mr. Nameless,
Nothing will bring your laptop back to its' original state with the changes that have come about with Windows 10 in the last couple years.

Make copy of all your wanted data and your eSupport Folder and place on USB, CD, or DVD. Next, format your OS drive and reinstall the latest version of Windows 10 using the Windows Media Creation Tool on a USB.

Once Windows is installed, restore your eSupport Folder and run the ASUS Installation Wizard. Install any or all ASUS drivers and programs you wish and then reboot. Allow Windows to digest the ASUS drivers. Check the Device Manager for any problems but all your devices should be working with no question marks showing. At this point your laptop will be close to it's original state.

Problem with this restoral path is Windows 10 is already installed with new credentials established. The original New-ASUS laptop state does not have user credentials created.

Hope this helps.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Mr. Nameless,
Nothing will bring your laptop back to its' original state with the changes that have come about with Windows 10 in the last couple years.

Make copy of all your wanted data and your eSupport Folder and place on USB, CD, or DVD. Next, format your OS drive and reinstall the latest version of Windows 10 using the Windows Update assistant found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once Windows is installed, restore your eSupport Folder and run the ASUS Installation Wizard. Install any or all ASUS drivers and programs you wish and then reboot. Allow Windows to digest the ASUS drivers. Check the Device Manager for any problems but all your devices should be working with no question marks showing. At this point your laptop will be close to it's original state.

Problem with this restoral path is Windows 10 is already installed with new credentials established. The original New-ASUS laptop state does not have user credentials created.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help so far and, sorry, i might have phrased it incorrectly, when i say original state i didn't mean the windows version from back then, i want it to be as if i bought it now but of course with thelatest windows version (so basically newest windows version with ALL asus software), i have 2 questions about the very helpful answer you provided me.

• Out of curiosity, using the method you provided (completely clean install with media creation tool and then restoring with eSupport folder, if i got that wrong correct me) will i have anything missing other than my data? I assume eSupport can restore all drivers and software and that the starting screen is tied to motherboard but i want to know if i'll loose anything other than data.
  • What is the difference of clean installing windows 10 with the installation tool from the link you provided and using the windows settings "reset your pc" and "fully clean the drive"?

Mr. Nameless wrote:
Thanks for the help so far and, sorry, i might have phrased it incorrectly, when i say original state i didn't mean the windows version from back then, i want it to be as if i bought it now but of course with thelatest windows version (so basically newest windows version with ALL asus software), i have 2 questions about the very helpful answer you provided me.

• Out of curiosity, using the method you provided (completely clean install with media creation tool and then restoring with eSupport folder, if i got that wrong correct me) will i have anything missing other than my data? I assume eSupport can restore all drivers and software and that the starting screen is tied to motherboard but i want to know if i'll loose anything other than data.
  • What is the difference of clean installing windows 10 with the installation tool from the link you provided and using the windows settings "reset your pc" and "fully clean the drive"?

You have a point, using the Windows Update Assistant, might not give you the results you want. Use your Windows Media Creation Tool on a USB to install a fresh copy of Windows 10, then install your ASUS drivers and Programs, followed by installing all the Windows Updates.

1. The ASUS Installation Wizard will restore all the drivers and programs that were originally on your laptop. Microsoft Office is not part of the ASUS Installation Wizard. If your laptop came with MS Office, then it was probably installed using an installation DVD or website requiring login to reinstall.
2. I don't think there are any differences between restoral options. Reset Option restores leaving your data. Fully Clean Option wipes your drive and installs new copy of OS.

If you are NOT comfortable with this procedure (have not done it before) by all means take to some one that is (has done it before)!
Homebuilt Windows Server

It had been awhile since I last installed a fresh Windows 10 installation. I downloaded the Windows 10 Creation Tool which in-turn downloaded a Windows 10 1809 iso file. I burned a DVD using the iso file. I then compared the contents of the DVD with contents of a Genuine Windows 10 Pro USB. They pretty much look the same. Installation of either should work fine.
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
It had been awhile since I last installed a fresh Windows 10 installation. I downloaded the Windows 10 Creation Tool which in-turn downloaded a Windows 10 1809 iso file. I burned a DVD using the iso file. I then compared the contents of the DVD with contents of a Genuine Windows 10 Pro USB. They pretty much look the same. Installation of either should work fine.

hmmm, interesting, but i meant if the installation from the system "reset my pc" (remove everything and then the 2 options that are presented) and the creation tool usb would be the same

I know the results of the Windows 10 Creation Tool and DVD or USB that it makes. I've used either the DVD or USB to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on several laptops.

I have not used the Reset PC options or Fresh Install option to install Windows 10.

Make yourself a DVD or USB using the Windows 10 Creation Tool. Then try either Reset PC options or Fresh Install option. If it screws-up you can use your DVD or USB to fix it all.
Homebuilt Windows Server

Mr__Nameless
Level 8
Thanks, really appreciate your help.