cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2080 how much stress is enough

Eclipt
Level 8
I am overclocking my Strix 2080 and wondering how much stress testing is enough? Also, what software is best for this?

I am currently*using 3DMark Time Spy Extreme stress test. I notice that one setting passes this 2 times, then I get a crash on the 3rd stress test. So I am a bit lost, probably this means that the setting is not stable. So how much is enough?
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The 3D mark software is fine for testing...try a few benchmarks at different settings...

Then check real world with your games/applications etc.

The higher you go the more chance of instability...especially with memory OCs which are next to useless on GPU for gaming or 24/7 OCs...

How much is enough?...is a difficult question and impossible to answer really...depends what you are doing. Just back off the OC a bit for daily use...forget other people's numbers and realise that the last few MHz that give you instability won't be giving you much performance anyway. So, for your current situation...I'd call that unstable and settle for a bit less instead of convincing myself that 2 runs is stable if you know what I mean..

My problem is that when playing new games like Apex, I cannot know if a crash is related to a game bug, or my overclock. How do you guys test for stability? How many stress tests do you run, if its 3DMark? Should I do 3 and call it stable?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Beyond testing in the real world, Time Spy Stress Test loops the routine 20 times. If you're able to pass this without locking up, then it's a good indication of stability.

If Apex Legends is crashing there should be a system event within event viewer. You can see if the display driver is crashing or not from within the system panel.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Beyond testing in the real world, Time Spy Stress Test loops the routine 20 times. If you're able to pass this without locking up, then it's a good indication of stability.

If Apex Legends is crashing there should be a system event within event viewer. You can see if the display driver is crashing or not from within the system panel.

What would be the recommended course of action if I run this stress test 2 times and the 3rd one crashes? Back down and try 3 times again :-/?

Eclipt wrote:
What would be the recommended course of action if I run this stress test 2 times and the 3rd one crashes? Back down and try 3 times again :-/?

Or back down until you're able to complete the stress test.

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Or back down until you're able to complete the stress test.

Thanks for the Event Viewer tip, I will be keeping an eye on that! Maybe you would have some ideas why my OC Scanner does not work anymore :(? It worked for 1 time and now it stops at 1%. Maybe something messed up and there is a way to "clean up"?

Eclipt wrote:
Thanks for the Event Viewer tip, I will be keeping an eye on that! Maybe you would have some ideas why my OC Scanner does not work anymore :(? It worked for 1 time and now it stops at 1%. Maybe something messed up and there is a way to "clean up"?

Nevermind, this is solved by reinstalling drivers with "clean install" option and trying a previous version of GPU Tweak.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
There are a few outstanding issues with the latest version of the scanner, should be fixed shortly.