Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 143
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    86

    Question Advices and Help for my Future coming build.

    Greetings everyone,
    Hope that everyone is doing great.

    I have a Rog gaming Laptop it's been with me now for almost 3 years.
    I'm looking forward to getting a new rig preferably a desktop due to it's the necessity for my line of work which is 3D design and Animation. I'm also on the side a Very passionate gamer who plays Starcraft II and Overwatch in addition to Rainbow Siege recently. all of these games are very well running on my current laptop. thinking of the New build for my freelance jobs mainly and personal projects.


    I prefer Asus for most of my components which are motherboards and graphics cards, monitors, etc.

    At the moment I have an excel sheet which I set up a year ago planning for this build and watching over the market prices changes in addition to also collecting money.

    I'd like advice in a whole build so I can add up the option to my planning, I'm going for a custom build.
    Any bits of advice is appreciated and thanks for reading. "Note" my budget is currently at 1350$ at max could extend a bit if it's necessary.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array davemon50 PC Specs
    davemon50 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY-DH72 (17") and Asus G752VT-DH74 (17")
    MotherboardAsus ROG LGA2011-v3 Rampage V Edition 10, x99 EATX
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6950X Extreme 10-core 25MB Cache 3.0 GHz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance LPX Red DDR4 DRAM 64GB-4x16 3333 (CMK64GX4M4B3333C16R)
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury 4GB HBM Backplate
    Graphics Card #2Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury 4GB HBM Backplate
    Sound CardAsus SupremeFX Hi-Fi Audio DAC
    Monitor(2) Dell UltraSharp U2515H 25-inch monitors
    Storage #1(3) SSD's - Samsung 960 1TB M.2, Intel 535 480G, Intel 510 250G
    Storage #2(3) HDD's - Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5-in SATA III 64MB Cache
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H80
    CaseCorsair Obsidian Series 650D Black, ATX, Mid Tower
    Power SupplyCorsair Digital AXi-Series AX1200i (1200W) 80+ Platinum Rating
    Keyboard Logitech Wireless K360
    Mouse Logitech Wireless MX Anywhere 2
    Headset HyperX Cloud II
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
    davemon50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    45
    Posts
    968

    Can you share with the forum your goals for the build, at least what you plan to use it for? What components are you looking for now?

    If you are going for a build with powerful graphics for 3D design and animation, I think your budget is low.
    Davemon50

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    86

    Quote Originally Posted by davemon50 View Post
    Can you share with the forum your goals for the build, at least what you plan to use it for? What components are you looking for now?

    If you are going for a build with powerful graphics for 3D design and animation, I think your budget is low.
    Thanks for replying, Well my budget is flexible. If it's worth it I can expand my budget.
    Yes, mostly 3D design and gaming.

    at the moment I'm more into these breakdowns of components :

    Graphic Card: Nvidia Geforce 1070ti ( at this moment im interested in this graphic card it's a fine price and it has a decent performance : ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1070TI-A8G-GAMING )

    Processor: intel i7- 8700k
    Storage: One HDD = 2TB and on SSD = 512G because i have a 1 extra Harddrive
    Ram : HyperX Fury = 32GB
    Motherboard = Asus preferably, future upgradable is a must. ( I have these in mind not sure what to take : X299 OR X399 , Z270 - A PRIME )


    This is just a scratch out of my research components not sure if that's final but it's a good start. Could need some advice



    i

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array panzlock PC Specs
    panzlock PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS X553M, ASUS Zenpad 10 Z300M, ASUS X542BA-DH99
    MotherboardASUS P8Z68-V LX, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
    ProcessorIntel i5-2500K, Intel i7-6700K, AMD Ryzen R7 1700
    Memory (part number)8GB Kingston 1333MhzDDR3 C9, 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3000Mhz DDR4 C16, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 560Ti, ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 O8G OC, Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 56
    Monitor32" INSIGNIA 720p, 32" Samsung 1080p C32F391FWN, 32" ASUS 1440p VA32AQ
    Storage #1Seagate 150GB 7200RPM, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (X2)
    Storage #2Seagate 500GB 7200RPM, WD Blue 3TB - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch
    CPU CoolerDeepcool GAMMAXX 300, Deepcool Lucifer V2, Wraith Spire
    CaseAntec Sonata, Deepcool Dukase V1, Deepcool Dukase V3
    Power SupplyATX 650, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 (X2)
    Keyboard Logitech K220, MSI Interceptor DS4200 (X2)
    Mouse Microsoft 1850, Microsoft 4500, Gamdias Erebos LE, MSI DS 100, Redragon M601 Centrophorus
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z313, Logitech Z506 (X2)
    OS Windows 10 Home X64, Windows 10 Pro X64 (X2)
    panzlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Reputation
    54
    Posts
    697

    If you're main objective is work use I suggest a a Ryzen build. Socket will be supported through 2020, so that's as upgrade-able as it gets.

    Processor: R7 2700 or 2700X
    MB: https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/AMD-X470/ (I'd go with the 450 to save money but if you're flexible and want to work you might want the extra options the 470 has)
    Ram: G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200MHz CL14 = 32GB (I prefer the Trident Z line due to aesthetics, but the Flare X has less issues with Ryzen setups)
    Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2

    As for VGA's I'd go with the Vega 64 (or 56 if money is an issue) as they have better overall compute compared to their Nvidia counterparts. The two recommended choices:

    https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Graphics-...64-O8G-GAMING/

    or

    http://sapphirenitro.sapphiretech.com/en/vega64le.html

    Close third: https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1511340918

    I have the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 and it's a great card. Poor marketing on AMD's part ensured the Vega architecture never had a chance against Pascal but reviewers found the benefit for these products.
    Last edited by panzlock; 02-13-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    86

    Quote Originally Posted by panzlock View Post
    If you're main objective is work use I suggest a a Ryzen build. Socket will be supported through 2020, so that's as upgrade-able as it gets.

    Processor: R7 2700 or 2700X
    MB: https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/AMD-X470/ (I'd go with the 450 to save money but if you're flexible and want to work you might want the extra options the 470 has)
    Ram: G.Skill Flare X DDR4 3200MHz CL14 = 32GB (I prefer the Trident Z line due to aesthetics, but the Flare X has less issues with Ryzen setups)
    Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2

    As for VGA's I'd go with the Vega 64 (or 56 if money is an issue) as they have better overall compute compared to their Nvidia counterparts. The two recommended choices:

    https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Graphics-...64-O8G-GAMING/

    or

    http://sapphirenitro.sapphiretech.com/en/vega64le.html

    Close third: https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1511340918

    I have the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 and it's a great card. Poor marketing on AMD's part ensured the Vega architecture never had a chance against Pascal but reviewers found the benefit for these products.
    Thanks for replying !
    I totally agree with you about ryzen, they've proved efficency and great performance over intel. However, about the graphic card I always was a fan of Nvidia I'm not sure though because im not the expert. I've checked online and compared between 1070Ti and Vega 65 they seem to be close in specs but Vega is a bit better but the price is way higher when it comes to AMD.

    I can't use Nvidia for this setup right?

    I was worried because I use CUDA cores and gpu rendering sometimes when I render in Maya - Vray.
    Will it perform in an efficient way just like Nvidia does or is it gonna fail?

  6. #6
    ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!
    Arne Saknussemm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Reputation
    481
    Posts
    13,380

    You can use any Nvidia GPU on a Ryzen or Threadripper build

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array panzlock PC Specs
    panzlock PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS X553M, ASUS Zenpad 10 Z300M, ASUS X542BA-DH99
    MotherboardASUS P8Z68-V LX, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
    ProcessorIntel i5-2500K, Intel i7-6700K, AMD Ryzen R7 1700
    Memory (part number)8GB Kingston 1333MhzDDR3 C9, 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3000Mhz DDR4 C16, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 560Ti, ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 O8G OC, Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 56
    Monitor32" INSIGNIA 720p, 32" Samsung 1080p C32F391FWN, 32" ASUS 1440p VA32AQ
    Storage #1Seagate 150GB 7200RPM, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (X2)
    Storage #2Seagate 500GB 7200RPM, WD Blue 3TB - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch
    CPU CoolerDeepcool GAMMAXX 300, Deepcool Lucifer V2, Wraith Spire
    CaseAntec Sonata, Deepcool Dukase V1, Deepcool Dukase V3
    Power SupplyATX 650, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 (X2)
    Keyboard Logitech K220, MSI Interceptor DS4200 (X2)
    Mouse Microsoft 1850, Microsoft 4500, Gamdias Erebos LE, MSI DS 100, Redragon M601 Centrophorus
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z313, Logitech Z506 (X2)
    OS Windows 10 Home X64, Windows 10 Pro X64 (X2)
    panzlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Reputation
    54
    Posts
    697

    Quote Originally Posted by SoftAddict View Post
    Thanks for replying !
    I totally agree with you about ryzen, they've proved efficency and great performance over intel. However, about the graphic card I always was a fan of Nvidia I'm not sure though because im not the expert. I've checked online and compared between 1070Ti and Vega 65 they seem to be close in specs but Vega is a bit better but the price is way higher when it comes to AMD.

    I can't use Nvidia for this setup right?

    I was worried because I use CUDA cores and gpu rendering sometimes when I render in Maya - Vray.
    Will it perform in an efficient way just like Nvidia does or is it gonna fail?
    Where do you live? In Canada Vega 56 prices are close to 1070 Ti prices.

    AMD has ProRender (plug-in) for Autodesk Maya: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/...r-autodeskmaya

    Maya certified hardware: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...-hardware.html

    V-Ray RT supports Open CL so you can use an AMD card but I'm not sure how Vega performs on that framework.
    I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

  8. #8
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    86

    Quote Originally Posted by panzlock View Post
    Where do you live? In Canada Vega 56 prices are close to 1070 Ti prices.

    AMD has ProRender (plug-in) for Autodesk Maya: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/...r-autodeskmaya

    Maya certified hardware: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...-hardware.html

    V-Ray RT supports Open CL so you can use an AMD card but I'm not sure how Vega performs on that framework.
    I live in Dubai. Prices may vary, speaking of which do you recommend purchasing and shipping abroad from us or Canada or buy locally, I don't mean for the full rig but for some parts.

    We have a decent online store here which is also bought by Amazon "SOUQ".

  9. #9
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    86

    Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    You can use any Nvidia GPU on a Ryzen or Threadripper build
    are there any specific Cpu's or most of the new are compatible with nvidia, I'm actually settled with 1070ti for the moment i don't need more than 8GB for Vram. also about 1070ti which Card is the best speaking in terms of cooling, efficiency and speed? I'm looking at the moment at : Graphics Card ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1070TI-A8G-GAMING , im not sure if there is better also which brand do you suggest?

    Any Recommendations for an Asus Motherboard and a Ryzen CPU? I'm okay with paying more for the motherboard in case i want to upgrade in the future.
    Last edited by SoftAddict; 02-17-2019 at 06:12 PM.

  10. #10
    ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!
    Arne Saknussemm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Reputation
    481
    Posts
    13,380

    If I were you I'd buy local from somewhere with a good return policy. If something goes wrong...international RMA might be a nightmare.

    All the AMD systems are compatible with an Nvidia GPU. No worries there.

    It depends a bit on exactly what programs and what workload you want to do. There are some serious bargains on previous gen Threadripper 1950X and 1920X...on the X399 platform. The newer gen are also very good value 2950X 2920X again on X399. Zenith Extreme or Zenith Extrem Alpha maybe top end for gaming etc or the Prime for a bit more work oriented. If you want a lot of RAM for your work and quad channel these would be ideal...

    If you don't need so many cores or only dual channel RAM the X470 boards ans 2700X etc.

    Maybe check out some of the articles here https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php...they might have tested the software you want to use

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •