Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 143
  1. #11
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    86

    Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    If I were you I'd buy local from somewhere with a good return policy. If something goes wrong...international RMA might be a nightmare.

    All the AMD systems are compatible with an Nvidia GPU. No worries there.

    It depends a bit on exactly what programs and what workload you want to do. There are some serious bargains on previous gen Threadripper 1950X and 1920X...on the X399 platform. The newer gen are also very good value 2950X 2920X again on X399. Zenith Extreme or Zenith Extrem Alpha maybe top end for gaming etc or the Prime for a bit more work oriented. If you want a lot of RAM for your work and quad channel these would be ideal...

    If you don't need so many cores or only dual channel RAM the X470 boards ans 2700X etc.

    Maybe check out some of the articles here https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php...they might have tested the software you want to use
    reading from what you said i thank you for the information it was really helpful so was the rest of the replies, but i want to ask you, when you said there are some serious bargains on previous gen Threadripper 1950X and 1920X...on the X399 platform. did you mean it in a negative way or in a positive way. bottom line is this a good setup :

    MB : ASUS ROG Strix X399-E
    CPU : 1920X or 1950X on X399
    GPU : Asus Nvidia GTX 1070TI ( but im not sure which brand is fit best , asus or others. could use some advices.)
    PSU: advices?
    Coolers: Also advices?'
    Case : ?

    Other than that everything seem good to me.

  2. #12
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    86

    Change of thoughts, I was calculating the prices of the setup i just mentioned and seems to me that its taking alot of my budget and i think i can't afford it yet.

    So made some changes, knowing that the graphic card and the cpu are taking a high proportion of the total price I want to go for alternatives with still good value and better prices. High end isn't what i need but still i need good performance for the workload.


    MB : ASUS ROG Strix X399-E
    CPU : AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X 8-Core/16-Thread (3.8 GHz/4.0 GHz, 16MB, 180W, STR4) Desktop Processor | YD190XA8AEWOF
    on X399

    " this Cpu i found is really good and has enough cores for my needs, im still open to suggestions because in my previous post i found out the cpu is very expensive for the rig which adds up for the total price".

    GPU : Asus Nvidia GTX 1070TI Im still not sure what are the alternatives with same performance with lower prices.
    PSU: advices?
    Coolers: Also advices?'
    Case : ?

    Taking advice of one of the members commenting here Im thinking of AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 to the rig, what do you think guys? in addition to gaming VR, is it suitable for design render and 3D
    Last edited by SoftAddict; 02-22-2019 at 02:40 PM.

  3. #13
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array panzlock PC Specs
    panzlock PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS X553M, ASUS Zenpad 10 Z300M, ASUS X542BA-DH99
    MotherboardASUS P8Z68-V LX, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
    ProcessorIntel i5-2500K, Intel i7-6700K, AMD Ryzen R7 1700
    Memory (part number)8GB Kingston 1333MhzDDR3 C9, 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3000Mhz DDR4 C16, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 560Ti, ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 O8G OC, Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 56
    Monitor32" INSIGNIA 720p, 32" Samsung 1080p C32F391FWN, 32" ASUS 1440p VA32AQ
    Storage #1Seagate 150GB 7200RPM, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (X2)
    Storage #2Seagate 500GB 7200RPM, WD Blue 3TB - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch
    CPU CoolerDeepcool GAMMAXX 300, Deepcool Lucifer V2, Wraith Spire
    CaseAntec Sonata, Deepcool Dukase V1, Deepcool Dukase V3
    Power SupplyATX 650, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 (X2)
    Keyboard Logitech K220, MSI Interceptor DS4200 (X2)
    Mouse Microsoft 1850, Microsoft 4500, Gamdias Erebos LE, MSI DS 100, Redragon M601 Centrophorus
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z313, Logitech Z506 (X2)
    OS Windows 10 Home X64, Windows 10 Pro X64 (X2)
    panzlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Reputation
    54
    Posts
    701

    Quote Originally Posted by SoftAddict View Post
    Change of thoughts, I was calculating the prices of the setup i just mentioned and seems to me that its taking alot of my budget and i think i can't afford it yet.

    So made some changes, knowing that the graphic card and the cpu are taking a high proportion of the total price I want to go for alternatives with still good value and better prices. High end isn't what i need but still i need good performance for the workload.


    MB : ASUS ROG Strix X399-E
    CPU : AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X 8-Core/16-Thread (3.8 GHz/4.0 GHz, 16MB, 180W, STR4) Desktop Processor | YD190XA8AEWOF
    on X399

    " this Cpu i found is really good and has enough cores for my needs, im still open to suggestions because in my previous post i found out the cpu is very expensive for the rig which adds up for the total price".

    GPU : Asus Nvidia GTX 1070TI Im still not sure what are the alternatives with same performance with lower prices.
    PSU: advices?
    Coolers: Also advices?'
    Case : ?

    Taking advice of one of the members commenting here Im thinking of AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 to the rig, what do you think guys? in addition to gaming VR, is it suitable for design render and 3D
    The AM4 X470 platform is cheaper than the TR4 X399 platform. The 2700X is cheaper than the 1900X. The 2700X comes with a decent cooler. You'll need an aftermarket cooler for the Threadripper which has 180W compared to the 2700X's 105.

    Performance between these CPU's should be very close, but the TR has the PCIe lane advantage with 64. You'll get 20 with the 2700X.

    Price/performance suggests 2700X at a lower price.

    As for the VGA:

    RX Vega compute performance: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11717...d-56-review/17

    You might want to do more research to get a clearer picture of relative performance to the 1070 Ti but the 56 performs very well against the 1070 and 1080. Again, my personal experience with it is positive in all areas aside from overclocking. This includes stable undervolted gaming performance.
    I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

  4. #14
    ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!
    Arne Saknussemm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Reputation
    481
    Posts
    13,452

    Quote Originally Posted by SoftAddict View Post
    did you mean it in a negative way or in a positive way.
    Bargain is always positive to me obviously since AMD released the second generation the first has been going for great prices and performs within a hair's breadth...

    Quote Originally Posted by SoftAddict View Post
    bottom line is this a good setup :

    MB : ASUS ROG Strix X399-E
    CPU : 1920X or 1950X on X399
    GPU : Asus Nvidia GTX 1070TI ( but im not sure which brand is fit best , asus or others. could use some advices.)
    PSU: advices?
    Coolers: Also advices?'
    Case : ?
    That would be a great setup.

    The 1070TI is a great card and super efficient...I would not get hung up on brand names for that...just go for the best bargain you can find...

    PSU I like Seasonic...or Corsair or Superflower

    Coolers and cases I can't really help with...I have a water-cooled loop I built myself...so I'm out of the loop on what's good for X399 in the AIO market or the air market...though Noctua always have great air coolers...

    BUT...do have a look at X470 platform too.

    The principal advantage of X399 is quad channel RAM and high core counts...which will suit certain workloads.

    For 8 cores and if you don't need quad channel RAM then X470 will give you a great system too.

  5. #15
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array panzlock PC Specs
    panzlock PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS X553M, ASUS Zenpad 10 Z300M, ASUS X542BA-DH99
    MotherboardASUS P8Z68-V LX, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
    ProcessorIntel i5-2500K, Intel i7-6700K, AMD Ryzen R7 1700
    Memory (part number)8GB Kingston 1333MhzDDR3 C9, 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3000Mhz DDR4 C16, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 560Ti, ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 O8G OC, Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 56
    Monitor32" INSIGNIA 720p, 32" Samsung 1080p C32F391FWN, 32" ASUS 1440p VA32AQ
    Storage #1Seagate 150GB 7200RPM, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (X2)
    Storage #2Seagate 500GB 7200RPM, WD Blue 3TB - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch
    CPU CoolerDeepcool GAMMAXX 300, Deepcool Lucifer V2, Wraith Spire
    CaseAntec Sonata, Deepcool Dukase V1, Deepcool Dukase V3
    Power SupplyATX 650, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 (X2)
    Keyboard Logitech K220, MSI Interceptor DS4200 (X2)
    Mouse Microsoft 1850, Microsoft 4500, Gamdias Erebos LE, MSI DS 100, Redragon M601 Centrophorus
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z313, Logitech Z506 (X2)
    OS Windows 10 Home X64, Windows 10 Pro X64 (X2)
    panzlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Reputation
    54
    Posts
    701

    Add EVGA's SuperNOVA to the PSU lineup. These are rebranded Seasonic and Super Flower units sold by a company offering 10 years warranty and an exceptional RMA policy.

    Coolers:

    Noctua: https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15

    Be Quiet: https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1378

    Cryorig: http://www.cryorig.com/r1-universal_us.php

    Thermaltake: https://www.thermaltake.com/Cooler/L...ion/design.htm

    Corsair: https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Catego.../CW-9060031-WW

    Cooler Master: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/...iquid-pro-280/

    Deepcool: http://www.gamerstorm.com/product/CP...287_7921.shtml

    ASUS: https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Cooling/R...-360/overview/

    Don't just review the coolers I posted. Check the websites for the best possible solution for the system you decide to build within your set budget. For example, if you purchase the Threadripper you'll want a Noctua NH-D15 minimum for air cooling, stepping up to liquid cooling subsequently. Again, better reason to stay with the R7 2700X which negates the purchase of a cooler or at the very least minimizes the price for the solution.
    I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

  6. #16
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    86

    Quote Originally Posted by panzlock View Post
    Performance between these CPU's should be very close, but the TR has the PCIe lane advantage with 64. You'll get 20 with the 2700X.
    can you explain what's the advantage what does these numbers indicate 64 and 20?
    excuse my noob knowledge, actually this is the first time i build a desktop, i have a laptop.

  7. #17
    AS185
    Guest
    SoftAddict, I'd stick with the TR4 socket. Why? In my humble opinion, I can't predict the future, however there are new processor's coming out with this socket as mentioned already by other dude's. The processor you chosen is good although if you wish to upgrade for the future, you may chose from other variety, with a lot more core's. That's if you want to put thing's into perspective
    Now onto choosing a case, well it entirely depend's on your taste. There's a lot of them in the market. Basically, if you want liquid cooling inside your case, choose a larger one. If you'd like your component's just on conventional cooling, you may choose a mid size case. For example, I have the Corsair Obsidian 900D, which is a huge case. I have liquid cooling on my processor installed however the other component's are cooled by traditional air. There is load's of space inside for proper liquid cooling kit's, 2 power supplies and 9 hard drives.

  8. #18
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    86

    Quote Originally Posted by AS185 View Post
    SoftAddict, I'd stick with the TR4 socket. Why? In my humble opinion, I can't predict the future, however there are new processor's coming out with this socket as mentioned already by other dude's. The processor you chosen is good although if you wish to upgrade for the future, you may chose from other variety, with a lot more core's. That's if you want to put thing's into perspective
    Now onto choosing a case, well it entirely depend's on your taste. There's a lot of them in the market. Basically, if you want liquid cooling inside your case, choose a larger one. If you'd like your component's just on conventional cooling, you may choose a mid size case. For example, I have the Corsair Obsidian 900D, which is a huge case. I have liquid cooling on my processor installed however the other component's are cooled by traditional air. There is load's of space inside for proper liquid cooling kit's, 2 power supplies and 9 hard drives.
    That's what i was thinking too, (going for the TR4 socket) , paying a bit more for a better future setup. totally worth it.
    I'm going to plan the setup and note everything down and present the components and setup to the community for thoughts. i think im going to buy the rig within the start of the next month.

  9. #19
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array panzlock PC Specs
    panzlock PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS X553M, ASUS Zenpad 10 Z300M, ASUS X542BA-DH99
    MotherboardASUS P8Z68-V LX, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
    ProcessorIntel i5-2500K, Intel i7-6700K, AMD Ryzen R7 1700
    Memory (part number)8GB Kingston 1333MhzDDR3 C9, 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3000Mhz DDR4 C16, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 560Ti, ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 O8G OC, Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 56
    Monitor32" INSIGNIA 720p, 32" Samsung 1080p C32F391FWN, 32" ASUS 1440p VA32AQ
    Storage #1Seagate 150GB 7200RPM, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (X2)
    Storage #2Seagate 500GB 7200RPM, WD Blue 3TB - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch
    CPU CoolerDeepcool GAMMAXX 300, Deepcool Lucifer V2, Wraith Spire
    CaseAntec Sonata, Deepcool Dukase V1, Deepcool Dukase V3
    Power SupplyATX 650, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 (X2)
    Keyboard Logitech K220, MSI Interceptor DS4200 (X2)
    Mouse Microsoft 1850, Microsoft 4500, Gamdias Erebos LE, MSI DS 100, Redragon M601 Centrophorus
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z313, Logitech Z506 (X2)
    OS Windows 10 Home X64, Windows 10 Pro X64 (X2)
    panzlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Reputation
    54
    Posts
    701

    Quote Originally Posted by SoftAddict View Post
    can you explain what's the advantage what does these numbers indicate 64 and 20?
    excuse my noob knowledge, actually this is the first time i build a desktop, i have a laptop.
    Your components require PCIe lanes to function/negotiate/communicate. Your motherboard and CPU support a specific number of these lanes depending on the model. The number of PCIe lanes will limit the number or performance of your components. For example a video card requires 16 PCIe lanes, and some MB and CPU combinations will allow for X16 or dual X8 setups. Threadripper provides the option for dual X16 without a performance hit.

    Not to mention other components that require PCIe lanes:

    Thunderbolt
    M.2/U.2
    SATA hard drives
    Onboard Sound
    Onboard RAID
    Onboard Network Controller
    PCIe cards plugged into your PCIe x1 slot
    All PCIe slots except the first one (Socket 1150/1151)
    Onboard LAN
    Onboard Sound
    Sound card
    Network card
    RAID controller card

    The more the merrier, as it were.
    Last edited by panzlock; 02-26-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

  10. #20
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    86

    Quote Originally Posted by panzlock View Post
    Your components require PCIe lanes to function/negotiate/communicate. Your motherboard and CPU support a specific number of these lanes depending on the model. The number of PCIe lanes will limit the number or performance of your components. For example a video card requires 16 PCIe lanes, and some MB and CPU combinations will allow for X16 or dual X8 setups. Threadripper provides the option for dual X16 without a performance hit.

    Not to mention other components that require PCIe lanes:

    Thunderbolt
    M.2/U.2
    SATA hard drives
    Onboard Sound
    Onboard RAID
    Onboard Network Controller
    PCIe cards plugged into your PCIe x1 slot
    All PCIe slots except the first one (Socket 1150/1151)
    Onboard LAN
    Onboard Sound
    Sound card
    Network card
    RAID controller card

    The more the merrier, as it were.
    I totally understand what is it now, thanks!
    I had a correct suspicion of what is it.

    I appreciate your elaboration!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •