cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a G sync monitor worth buying?

7styles
Level 7
Hi, I've just bought a asus strix rtx 2080 oc and need to upgrade my monitor as my current BenQ XL2411T is faulty, I'm looking for a 2k monitor with at least 144hz. I've seen a couple of asus monitors and was wandering if G sync is useful or a waste of money. Ideally I don't want to spend too much money, The ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q is a nice monitor but at that price range I could buy a decent 4k TV,.

All advice will be appreciated, thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
G-Sync is great if you want to run games in the 40 to 60FPS range

Say you want nearly maxed out visuals on an older GPU. It lets you keep a GPU for longer.

If you have a GPU that drives 60FPS with vertical sync on i.e. you have enough power never to dip below 60FPS then it is a waste of time IMO

Depends a bit on what FPS you want to game at...and if you're one of these people who think 60FPS is visibly slow to you then G-Sync is going to help in smooth gameplay at whatever variable rate you achieve over this...

It's a good thing to have...but not really worth it over 60FPS for most people...though people can be convinced of anything it seems;)

Don’t know, because I never experienced any tearing, lag, blinking, shuttering, or blur (well, unless you’re looking for it).

But, you might want to look/read this article, since the release of NVIDIA Driver 417.01.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3332198/gaming/nvidia-geforce-freesync-gsync-imcompatible.html

Well, G-Sync is an amazing experience if you get a 144hz. You are able to experience smooth motion across the whole range of FPS all the way up to 144hz. I haven't tried a 144hz monitor without G-Sync, but I would assume it would stutter when FPS would fluctuate from the set max (60/120/144 or whatever you set it).