cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

passive heatsinks enough for vrm cooling?

flexnl
Level 10
Hi

I want to watercool my 2 980ti g1 gamings but the ek block that fits on my cards is end of life unfortunatly :(:(
Now i want to buy two of these https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-thermosphere-nickel
and cool the other components some other way. Would passive heatsinks work for overclocking? or are there any alternative ways to cool the rest of the cards?
it has to be good cooling for benching.

greetz

FleXnl
5 REPLIES 5

jab383
Level 13
I've done that with a GTX 1080ti KPE -- Thermosphere on the GPU and passive heatsinks with 1.4cm pins on the VRM MOSFETS. I don't think there's any way to contact the RAMs with a heatsink, so RAM heat has to be conducted through the board to the back or to the waterblock.

When benching, I put a full speed fan directly in front of the 'passive' heatsinks. Not sure how well it would work with two VGAs close together in a case.

jab383 wrote:
I've done that with a GTX 1080ti KPE -- Thermosphere on the GPU and passive heatsinks with 1.4cm pins on the VRM MOSFETS. I don't think there's any way to contact the RAMs with a heatsink, so RAM heat has to be conducted through the board to the back or to the waterblock.

When benching, I put a full speed fan directly in front of the 'passive' heatsinks. Not sure how well it would work with two VGAs close together in a case.

tnx for your reply,
so i could probably still hit higher clocks on the core without blowing up the cards right , with these ekblocks? eventough i passivly cool the vrm.
if anyone maybe has 2 FC980 GTX TI WF3 waterblocks that i could buy would be great btw 😄

flexnl
Level 10
also i wanted to ask if anyone have experience with these blocks https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bykski-N-GV98TI-X-VGA-Full-Cover-Water-Cooling-Block-with-RGB-Light-...
i might try one sinds they arent to expensive

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The only GPU I ever killed was a GTX 570 that I didn't get a full cover block for...

You can get passive heatsinks for RAM and mosfets and fans and bench in the garden in the predawn cold...

Lots of people using Bykski CPU blocks are well happy with them...I'd definitely try a GPU block from them in your situation

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
The only GPU I ever killed was a GTX 570 that I didn't get a full cover block for...

You can get passive heatsinks for RAM and mosfets and fans and bench in the garden in the predawn cold...

Lots of people using Bykski CPU blocks are well happy with them...I'd definitely try a GPU block from them in your situation

tnx arne , good to hear people have good experience with it 🙂 that shop on ali express has all kinds of fittings and tubing for very cheap some things are half of the price you pay in normal webshop, gonna order some to see if its quality is up to standart. i think im gonna try rigid tubing 🙂 looks very nice i think.