cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange shutdown then no power to motherboard

MorePower
Level 8
I was shutting down my PC and all of a sudden everything powered off meaning no status LEDs on motherboard (Maximus Extreme XI) or on GPU (Strix 2080 Ti OC). I tried to start it up again but nothing happened. I unplugged/plugged in the power supply and tried again but nothing. All this happened after I was using my new Corsair RGB mouse and keyboard but everything worked as it should at that time. I thought maybe the mouse/keyboard caused it. I plugged in my old wireless mouse/keyboard and tried again. I turned on the PSU and all status LED's came on. The PC started up but my RGB lighting on the Evolv X was not being recognized in AURA. I thought maybe the RGB controller got fried or something. I left everything as it was getting late and tried again the next day. I started up the PC with the new keyboard/mouse and everything seems to be working. I don't know if this was just a coincidence or what. I never experienced anything like this before so I don't know what the cause could of been. Would it be the PSU or mobo that was preventing it to power on. This is a brand new build too. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4

davemon50
Level 11
That story could have ended worse.

To me it sounds like your computer overheated and shut down, and was too hot to start back up. I would recommend actively monitoring temperatures for a while to see if something looks amiss. What were you doing on it before you started the shutdown process?
Davemon50

MorePower
Level 8
I was testing out the new Corsair RGB mouse and keyboard and the temps are good. Would drivers cause a total shuts down of the PSU? I already had iCUE installed for my RGB fans but connected the mouse/keyboard afterwards. It almost feels like the motherboard sent a signal to the PSU and commended it to do a complete power down.

davemon50
Level 11
MorePower wrote:
I tried to start it up again but nothing happened. I unplugged/plugged in the power supply and tried again but nothing.

It wasn't the power down that I was concerned with, it was the statement above.
Davemon50

Plan3tCrack3r
Level 8
What are you using for a CPU cooler? I see you have new Corsair RGB peripherals so probably using iCUE? You may want to check the forums for that software and devices as there are multiple posts about possible USB conflicts when the software is running to control devices instead of hardware mode configurations, including coolers connected to USB 2.0 internal headers. Definitely monitor temps or listen for fan noise disappearing. The only time my motherboard light goes out is when making BIOS changes to or within Performance Enhancer Level 3 or 4 (can't run 4 stable), saving the changes and exiting for immediate reboot.
X470-F, 2700X, 5700 XT Nitro+, 970 EVO, LanCool 2 Mesh Performance, H115i Pro, 16GB3000C14, TT650W Gold