cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brand new build PC Rebooting during game play Max XI Formula

MaLLoc
Level 8
i have been playing just fine and all of a sudden while playing a game ( BFV ) it rebooted on me , then again 3 hours latter during the game. the CPU was at around 55 and GPU around 59 , the PCH was at about 67 , nothing different then when i had no rebooting , i have had it even hotter specs in other games.
the Memory had XMP on at 3200 , the CPU had Turbo on at 4700 , Fans where runing at about 80% to 100 % water pump was running at 2300 -2600 and i have 8 pin CPU Motherboard power plugged in and NO power on the 4 pin next to it, all for over a week with no problems. the system is about under 2 weeks old

here is the pc specs parts that matter first

ASUS ROG STRIX RX580 T8G TOP (Turbo edition) 8G Vid Card
ASUS Maximus XI Formula ( Motherboard)
Intel I9-9900k - CPU - Coffee Lake 9th Gen 300 series
NZXT Kraken X72 360mm - RGB CPU Liquid Cooler
DDR4-3200 TridentZ 32GB (16gbx2) CL 15-15-15-35
Samsung 970 PRO 512GB - M.2 2280 SSD (OS Drive)
Samsung 970 PRO 1TB - M.2 2280 SSD (Game Drive)
Seasonic Platinum SS-1000WXP PSU

BenQ ZOWIE XL2730 27" eSports Gaming Monitor
Logitech G910 Keyboard Spectrum
Logitech G502 Hero Mouse
Logitech G903 Mouse
Corsair Gaming MM200 Mouse Mat
Logitech G933 Artemis 7.1 Surround Sound Wireless Headset
OCZ-SOLID3 - 500GB SSD (Video Gameplay Recordings)
Computer Case - LIAN LI ALPHA 550X Black Temperd Glass
Windows 10 Pro
29 REPLIES 29

Enderwiggin03
Level 7
MaLLoc wrote:
i have been playing just fine and all of a sudden while playing a game ( BFV ) it rebooted on me , then again 3 hours latter during the game. the CPU was at around 55 and GPU around 59 , the PCH was at about 67 , nothing different then when i had no rebooting , i have had it even hotter specs in other games.
the Memory had XMP on at 3200 , the CPU had Turbo on at 4700 , all for over a week with no problems. the system is about under 2 weeks old

here is the pc specs parts that matter first

ASUS ROG STRIX RX580 T8G TOP (Trubo edition) 8G Vid Card
ASUS Maximus XI Formula ( Moherboard)
Intel I9-9900k - CPU - Coffee Lake 9th Gen 300 series
NZXT Kraken X72 360mm - RGB CPU Liquid Cooler
DDR4-3200 TridentZ 32GB (16gbx2) CL 15-15-15-35
Samsung 970 PRO 512GB - M.2 2280 SSD (OS Drive)
Samsung 970 PRO 1TB - M.2 2280 SSD (Game Drive)
Seasonic Platinum SS-1000WXP PSU

BenQ ZOWIE XL2730 27" eSports Gaming Monitor
Logitech G910 Keyboard Spectrum
Logitech G502 Hero Mouse
Logitech G903 Mouse
Corsair Gaming MM200 Mouse Mat
Logitech G933 Artemis 7.1 Surround Sound Wireless Headset
OCZ-SOLID3 - 500GB SSD (Video Gameplay Recordings)
Computer Case - LIAN LI ALPHA 550X Black Temperd Glass
Windows 10 Pro

BSOD reboot or just flat out shuts off? Power shutting off might be a power (supply) amperage issue, BSOD could be something software related.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
BSOD reboot or just flat out shuts off? Power shutting off might be a power (supply) amperage issue, BSOD could be something software related.

it reboots not shutoff , i also just went and turned off the auto restart on error in setting in control pannel so ill see an error happen and have to manual reboot

Legolas
Level 9
Check temperature when playing the game, especially the GPU/ CPU.
Did you try install latest driver from AMD? Reinstall all components and see if the system reboot during game play.
Perform Windows Update
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
Check temperature when playing the game, especially the GPU/ CPU.
Did you try install latest driver from AMD? Reinstall all components and see if the system reboot during game play.
Perform Windows Update

i did check temps i posted them on the info i gave of the temps while i was playing , all drivers have been updated as many as i could get done with drive easy and driver booster , the only update other then that was bios 805 and i dont recall how long after that , that i had played and got the reboot , nothing changed from when i played for a week or so with no problems till last night with 2 reboots

davemon50
Level 11
I cannot find any published specs for max power draw on that video card, do you have it on the box?

I experienced the very same thing gaming (previously) when I drew too much power during the game. I have a 1200W PSU with a 1500A UPS on the system. When I had this problem I would monitor the UPS during the game and sure enough certain scenes for at least one game would knock out the UPS with too much draw, and the system would reset. I experienced that only with dual cards playing Crossfire. The solution was to go into the software for the video card(s) and to limit the wattage during that game. Never experienced it again.

Try also powering the other 4 pins on the motherboard.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
I cannot find any published specs for max power draw on that video card, do you have it on the box?

I experienced the very same thing gaming (previously) when I drew too much power during the game. I have a 1200W PSU with a 1500A UPS on the system. When I had this problem I would monitor the UPS during the game and sure enough certain scenes for at least one game would knock out the UPS with too much draw, and the system would reset. I experienced that only with dual cards playing Crossfire. The solution was to go into the software for the video card(s) and to limit the wattage during that game. Never experienced it again.

Try also powering the other 4 pins on the motherboard.

the card is 150watt and usually the card needs a watt boost in the software to run better that i have not done yet , the 4 pins i wasnt sure about if needed for turbo or overclocking the cpu as not enough info was talked about it in the manual , just said use the 8 pin as might overheat using the 4 pin during higher clocks

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Please check your event logs to see if there's anything that might indicate why the reboot is occurring.

Spontaneous rebooting underload can be memory or cache/uncore instability. Revert the system to stock (including no XMP) and retest for instability.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Please check your event logs to see if there's anything that might indicate why the reboot is occurring.

Spontaneous rebooting underload can be memory or cache/uncore instability. Revert the system to stock (including no XMP) and retest for instability.

i don't see anything in event log besides it saying the reboot error ( The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.)

i have taken off Turbo on the CPU and left XMP on and played with no issues , at this point it would make me think something has to be defective in quality , because this board is made for overclocking and the CPU is unlocked and has Turbo capability all at which i am running on Asus Auto settings for the Turbo so i would not have issues of trying to overclock anything , and honestly this is my first time letting Turbo be on , i have never done it before

MaLLoc wrote:
i don't see anything in event log besides it saying the reboot error ( The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.)

i have taken off Turbo on the CPU and left XMP on and played with no issues , at this point it would make me think something has to be defective in quality , because this board is made for overclocking and the CPU is unlocked and has Turbo capability all at which i am running on Asus Auto settings for the Turbo so i would not have issues of trying to overclock anything , and honestly this is my first time letting Turbo be on , i have never done it before

Your assumptions are way off base, you need to remove XMP overclocking before going further. Removing an overclock is troubleshooting 101, hence why multiple users have already suggested this. If you ignore the advice given, we won't be able to assist you.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090