cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying M.2 Slots in Software

The_Artful_Dodg
Level 7
Hello:

I have recently completed my new Desktop build (ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO M/B, AMD RYZEN 7 2700X CPU, G.Skill F4-2933C14D-32GFX RAM, and two Samsung 970EVO NVMeM.2 500GB SSDs. The system seems to operate fine except I can't find a way to ID, in software, which SSD is which. I want to install Windows 10 on the fastest M.2 slot, but I am unsure which to use. Unfortunately, I made a note of the Serial Numbers on the SSDs but didn't keep track of which one I put where! 8>((

I am also confused by the BIOS M.2_1 & M.2_2 Link Mode settings - should I leave these alone or are there recommended settings I should use?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sparky
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
Can you temporarily uninstall one? That would allow you to identify which is which.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hello, xeromist:

Thanks for the reply.

It would be very, very difficult to remove the case from it's location! It's tucked behind my rather large desk - it took two of us to get it in there and I'm not going to go to the lengths required to pull it out and then be faced with putting it back again!

Sparky

Plan3tCrack3r
Level 8
I only have one NVMe drive installed, 970 EVO boot drive in M2_1 slot of X470-F, and between BIOS and Windows 10 running have only seen mention of PCI interface used for the drive in Samsung Magician software. When selecting any drive installed on the PC Magician shows the interface and shows "PCIE Gen. 3 x 4" for the 970 EVO and "SATA 6.0GB/s" for all other drives. Maybe it would show PCIE Gen. 3 x 2 for the M2_2 drive if an NVMe was installed there? Disk Management, which appears when first installing Windows 10 to allocate boot drive space, did not show any unique identifier of PCIE slot even when choosing properties>details location information. The Location Information for my 970 EVO and 850 EVO are the same, Bus Number 0, Target Id 0, LUN 0, while my other drives all have unique Bus Numbers associated.

I'd remove M2_2 drive, install OS on M2_1 and reinstall M2_2. Not having access to the physical PC is a whole different issue I'll stay away from.
X470-F, 2700X, 5700 XT Nitro+, 970 EVO, LanCool 2 Mesh Performance, H115i Pro, 16GB3000C14, TT650W Gold