Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Question ASUS G751JY Bricked after changed boot order.

Hello
    A couple of days ago I installed a sata disk of 2tb to my notebook instead of the 1tb that came by default. The point is that by changing the boot order from the bios, I saved the changes and when I restarted, the computer did not start any more.
    When I start it, the keyboard lights turn on for about 2 seconds and then turns off.

I tried installing the default disks, remove battery, restart cmos battery, remove ram, but nothing! does not react, does not even turn on the internal fans.

Is it possible that the motherboard is defective simply by changing the boot order?

I would appreciate your answers.

https://youtu.be/Ou24X0dWZQE

PS: Sorry for my English.
    Last edited by totalchaos1990; 02-21-2019 at 01:30 PM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by totalchaos1990 View Post
    Hello
    A couple of days ago I installed a sata disk of 2tb to my notebook instead of the 1tb that came by default. The point is that by changing the boot order from the bios, I saved the changes and when I restarted, the computer did not start any more.
    When I start it, the keyboard lights turn on for about 2 seconds and then turns off.

I tried installing the default disks, remove battery, restart cmos battery, remove ram, but nothing! does not react, does not even turn on the internal fans.
    welcome to ROG forums.

if you removed the cmos battery then there's a high chances that your UEFI (the new "bios" you got) settings got reset - not just the boot order.
    I advise you to read my guide about installing windows ( see my sig ) - just so you understand the difference between GPT & MBR formatted drive, i.e legacy boot VS UEFI boot method.

so, to make your laptop boot into windows again - you need to know which boot method your laptop is using... is it UEFI based OR legacy ?
    if it's legacy, the "CSM option" in the "bios" should be ENABLED.
    if it's UEFI, then it should be DISABLED, and you might also need to enable "secure boot" if you use OEM windows ( the OS asus gave you the laptop with ).

in addition, if you have put the OS HDD ( the one windows is installed on ) in ANOTHER SATA BAY, beside changing the boot order, you might need to "fix windows boot" by using windows installation disk.
    to make such a disk/usb, read my guide as I explained above.

if you use UEFI boot, there's also a slight possibility that you need to manually add a new boot "line"/"order"/"option" in the UEFI (aka "bios") settings since the old one is only applicable for when the OS HDD is connected in the previous SATA bay - and because the windows installation disk's "auto boot fix" process might not be able to successfully do that automatically for you.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gps3dx View Post
    welcome to ROG forums.

if you removed the cmos battery then there's a high chances that your UEFI (the new "bios" you got) settings got reset - not just the boot order.
    I advise you to read my guide about installing windows ( see my sig ) - just so you understand the difference between GPT & MBR formatted drive, i.e legacy boot VS UEFI boot method.

so, to make your laptop boot into windows again - you need to know which boot method your laptop is using... is it UEFI based OR legacy ?
    if it's legacy, the "CSM option" in the "bios" should be ENABLED.
    if it's UEFI, then it should be DISABLED, and you might also need to enable "secure boot" if you use OEM windows ( the OS asus gave you the laptop with ).

in addition, if you have put the OS HDD ( the one windows is installed on ) in ANOTHER SATA BAY, beside changing the boot order, you might need to "fix windows boot" by using windows installation disk.
    to make such a disk/usb, read my guide as I explained above.

if you use UEFI boot, there's also a slight possibility that you need to manually add a new boot "line"/"order"/"option" in the UEFI (aka "bios") settings since the old one is only applicable for when the OS HDD is connected in the previous SATA bay - and because the windows installation disk's "auto boot fix" process might not be able to successfully do that automatically for you.
    Thanks for your answer bro, but even when doing the cmos reboot, I still can not do anything with my laptop, it seems that definitely need a change of motherboard.
    I uploaded a video where you can see what my laptop does:

https://youtu.be/Ou24X0dWZQE

ROG Junior Member Array

Hello, have you tryed to reflash the bis with a usb stick? I bricked my g751jy with OC and i was in your situation.

You need to create a usb, put the bis and rename it then use a combination of keys for reflash the bios. Sorry but i don't remember the procedure

ROG Junior Member Array

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...shback-process!

it is like this (i have made the usb stick with cmd) and if i remember you need to press the power button for 30sec or more. My pc was DEAD ad i restore it!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by PiHeich View Post
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...shback-process!

it is like this (i have made the usb stick with cmd) and if i remember you need to press the power button for 30sec or more. My pc was DEAD ad i restore it!
    Thanks for answer me bro, yerterday I did it, but without results. My laptop seems dead, I put the BIOS files into a pendrive and then I did Ctrl+Home pressing Power button, but nothing.

Sorry for my english.

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Thanks for answer me bro, yerterday I did it, but without results. My laptop seems dead, I put the BIOS files into a pendrive and then I did Ctrl+Home pressing Power button, but nothing.

Sorry for my english.
    it seems your issue is indeed HW based or bad flashed firmware.
    Please try to rename the bios file like the following:
    if you've downloaded a zip with bios named "G751JYAS.211" - make few copies of it on the USB and rename them as follows:
    • G751JYAS.211
    • G751JY.211
    • G751JYAS.BIN
    • G751JY.BIN

try to perform the ctrl+home flashing procedure FEW TIMES - don't give up:
    • power up & press and hold ctrl+home.
    • power up & immediately press ctrl+home, release & press again and again... ( press the combo few times each sec ).
    • try connecting the USB to a different USB socket ( right side is advisable ).
    • make sure you're connected to AC ~2 hours before flashing so that the battery may have a change to charge.
    • make sure your USB is formatted as FAT32 (advisable) or FAT16 AND that it contains only ONE partition.

P.S - IMHO, please note that changing the boot order or CSM option in the bios DOES NOT CAUSE HW FAILURE NOR corruption of the bios - these options can be changed endlessly without any harmful effect to the PC.
    IMHO, your issue was caused by something else entirely.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gps3dx View Post
    it seems your issue is indeed HW based or bad flashed firmware.
    Please try to rename the bios file like the following:
    if you've downloaded a zip with bios named "G751JYAS.211" - make few copies of it on the USB and rename them as follows:
    • G751JYAS.211
    • G751JY.211
    • G751JYAS.BIN
    • G751JY.BIN

try to perform the ctrl+home flashing procedure FEW TIMES - don't give up:
    • power up & press and hold ctrl+home.
    • power up & immediately press ctrl+home, release & press again and again... ( press the combo few times each sec ).
    • try connecting the USB to a different USB socket ( right side is advisable ).
    • make sure you're connected to AC ~2 hours before flashing so that the battery may have a change to charge.
    • make sure your USB is formatted as FAT32 (advisable) or FAT16 AND that it contains only ONE partition.

P.S - IMHO, please note that changing the boot order or CSM option in the bios DOES NOT CAUSE HW FAILURE NOR corruption of the bios - these options can be changed endlessly without any harmful effect to the PC.
    IMHO, your issue was caused by something else entirely.

Thanks for replying bro, today I will try to put more Bios files renamed.
    Regarding what caused the problem, I replaced the hdd of 1tb by one of 2tb but when I started, I took by default the operating system that was on the 2tb disk and not my operating system installed on my ssd, then I changed some option of boot in the BIOS so that I did not recognize the 2db hdd as master and when restarting, my laptop was in the state that is currently, I think it should not be hardware problem but I'm losing hope.
    I have been trying for weeks but with no results.
    Today I will backup my ssd and try to see if I can leave both discs in the factory state.
    I downloaded a backup from this same forum and I hope it works for me.
    If you wonder why I have not taken it with RMA, it is because the guarantee has expired and Asus does not have an official technical service in Chile, which is where I live.
    Last edited by totalchaos1990; 03-20-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

...Regarding what caused the problem, I replaced the hdd of 1tb by one of 2tb but when I started, I took by default the operating system that was on the 2tb disk and not my operating system installed on my ssd, then I changed some option of boot in the BIOS so that I did not recognize the 2db hdd as master and when restarting, my laptop was in the state that is currently, I think it should not be hardware problem but I'm losing hope....
    Have you tried to boot WITHOUT 2TB disk or any HDD/SSD for that matter - just to check that you can enter the bios ? ( to eliminate the possibility that the issue isn't due to the laptop but with one of the storage devices ? - I suggest you try that as well )

RMA outside of warranty is possible but for an old laptop might be waste of money - better invest in a new one.

ROG Member Array

Hi, I run into the same problem.
    Have you maybe modified BIOS 211 to support M2 SSD as I did last week?

I have successfully modified BIOS v211 and tested Intel 660p 512GB NVME, today I got Intel 660p 2TB and I was changing BOOT order and after restart my G751JY doesn't start anymore.

I have also dissembled whole laptop, removed CMOS BIOS battery, removed RAM, HDD, SDD, nothing...

Did you resolved your issue at the end?

EDIT:
    I just checked your video, and the difference is that mine stays ON, but screen doesn't turn on neither backlight.
    I connected laptop to my TV via HDMI to be sure it's not VGA, but nothing via HDMI as well.
    Last edited by sa_stilom; 05-14-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast