cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G751JY Bricked after changed boot order.

totalchaos1990
Level 7
Hello
A couple of days ago I installed a sata disk of 2tb to my notebook instead of the 1tb that came by default. The point is that by changing the boot order from the bios, I saved the changes and when I restarted, the computer did not start any more.
When I start it, the keyboard lights turn on for about 2 seconds and then turns off.

I tried installing the default disks, remove battery, restart cmos battery, remove ram, but nothing! does not react, does not even turn on the internal fans.

Is it possible that the motherboard is defective simply by changing the boot order?

I would appreciate your answers.

PS: Sorry for my English.
13 REPLIES 13

Gps3dx
Level 12
totalchaos1990 wrote:
Hello
A couple of days ago I installed a sata disk of 2tb to my notebook instead of the 1tb that came by default. The point is that by changing the boot order from the bios, I saved the changes and when I restarted, the computer did not start any more.
When I start it, the keyboard lights turn on for about 2 seconds and then turns off.

I tried installing the default disks, remove battery, restart cmos battery, remove ram, but nothing! does not react, does not even turn on the internal fans.

welcome to ROG forums.

if you removed the cmos battery then there's a high chances that your UEFI (the new "bios" you got) settings got reset - not just the boot order.
I advise you to read my guide about installing windows ( see my sig ) - just so you understand the difference between GPT & MBR formatted drive, i.e legacy boot VS UEFI boot method.

so, to make your laptop boot into windows again - you need to know which boot method your laptop is using... is it UEFI based OR legacy ?
if it's legacy, the "CSM option" in the "bios" should be ENABLED.
if it's UEFI, then it should be DISABLED, and you might also need to enable "secure boot" if you use OEM windows ( the OS asus gave you the laptop with ).

in addition, if you have put the OS HDD ( the one windows is installed on ) in ANOTHER SATA BAY, beside changing the boot order, you might need to "fix windows boot" by using windows installation disk.
to make such a disk/usb, read my guide as I explained above.

if you use UEFI boot, there's also a slight possibility that you need to manually add a new boot "line"/"order"/"option" in the UEFI (aka "bios") settings since the old one is only applicable for when the OS HDD is connected in the previous SATA bay - and because the windows installation disk's "auto boot fix" process might not be able to successfully do that automatically for you.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
welcome to ROG forums.

if you removed the cmos battery then there's a high chances that your UEFI (the new "bios" you got) settings got reset - not just the boot order.
I advise you to read my guide about installing windows ( see my sig ) - just so you understand the difference between GPT & MBR formatted drive, i.e legacy boot VS UEFI boot method.

so, to make your laptop boot into windows again - you need to know which boot method your laptop is using... is it UEFI based OR legacy ?
if it's legacy, the "CSM option" in the "bios" should be ENABLED.
if it's UEFI, then it should be DISABLED, and you might also need to enable "secure boot" if you use OEM windows ( the OS asus gave you the laptop with ).

in addition, if you have put the OS HDD ( the one windows is installed on ) in ANOTHER SATA BAY, beside changing the boot order, you might need to "fix windows boot" by using windows installation disk.
to make such a disk/usb, read my guide as I explained above.

if you use UEFI boot, there's also a slight possibility that you need to manually add a new boot "line"/"order"/"option" in the UEFI (aka "bios") settings since the old one is only applicable for when the OS HDD is connected in the previous SATA bay - and because the windows installation disk's "auto boot fix" process might not be able to successfully do that automatically for you.

Thanks for your answer bro, but even when doing the cmos reboot, I still can not do anything with my laptop, it seems that definitely need a change of motherboard.
I uploaded a video where you can see what my laptop does:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74017-Failed-bios-update-recovered-by-ASUS-s-flashback-pro...!

it is like this (i have made the usb stick with cmd) and if i remember you need to press the power button for 30sec or more. My pc was DEAD ad i restore it!

PiHeich wrote:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74017-Failed-bios-update-recovered-by-ASUS-s-flashback-pro...!

it is like this (i have made the usb stick with cmd) and if i remember you need to press the power button for 30sec or more. My pc was DEAD ad i restore it!

Thanks for answer me bro, yerterday I did it, but without results. My laptop seems dead, I put the BIOS files into a pendrive and then I did Ctrl+Home pressing Power button, but nothing.

Sorry for my english.

totalchaos1990 wrote:
Thanks for answer me bro, yerterday I did it, but without results. My laptop seems dead, I put the BIOS files into a pendrive and then I did Ctrl+Home pressing Power button, but nothing.

Sorry for my english.

it seems your issue is indeed HW based or bad flashed firmware.
Please try to rename the bios file like the following:
if you've downloaded a zip with bios named "G751JYAS.211" - make few copies of it on the USB and rename them as follows:

• G751JYAS.211
  • G751JY.211
  • G751JYAS.BIN
  • G751JY.BIN

try to perform the ctrl+home flashing procedure FEW TIMES - don't give up:

• power up & press and hold ctrl+home.
  • power up & immediately press ctrl+home, release & press again and again... ( press the combo few times each sec ).
  • try connecting the USB to a different USB socket ( right side is advisable ).
  • make sure you're connected to AC ~2 hours before flashing so that the battery may have a change to charge.
  • make sure your USB is formatted as FAT32 (advisable) or FAT16 AND that it contains only ONE partition.

P.S - IMHO, please note that changing the boot order or CSM option in the bios DOES NOT CAUSE HW FAILURE NOR corruption of the bios - these options can be changed endlessly without any harmful effect to the PC.
IMHO, your issue was caused by something else entirely.
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
if you've downloaded a zip with bios named "G751JYAS.211" - make few copies of it on the USB and rename them as follows:

• G751JYAS.211
  • G751JY.211
  • G751JYAS.BIN
  • G751JY.BIN

• power up & immediately press ctrl+home, release & press again and again... ( press the combo few times each sec ).
  • make sure you're connected to AC ~2 hours before flashing so that the battery may have a change to charge.
  • make sure your USB is formatted as FAT32 (advisable) or FAT16 AND that it contains only ONE partition.

P.S - IMHO, please note that changing the boot order or CSM option in the bios DOES NOT CAUSE HW FAILURE NOR corruption of the bios - these options can be changed endlessly without any harmful effect to the PC.

Thanks for replying bro, today I will try to put more Bios files renamed.
Regarding what caused the problem, I replaced the hdd of 1tb by one of 2tb but when I started, I took by default the operating system that was on the 2tb disk and not my operating system installed on my ssd, then I changed some option of boot in the BIOS so that I did not recognize the 2db hdd as master and when restarting, my laptop was in the state that is currently, I think it should not be hardware problem but I'm losing hope.
I have been trying for weeks but with no results.
Today I will backup my ssd and try to see if I can leave both discs in the factory state.
I downloaded a backup from this same forum and I hope it works for me.
If you wonder why I have not taken it with RMA, it is because the guarantee has expired and Asus does not have an official technical service in Chile, which is where I live.

totalchaos1990 wrote:
...Regarding what caused the problem, I replaced the hdd of 1tb by one of 2tb but when I started, I took by default the operating system that was on the 2tb disk and not my operating system installed on my ssd, then I changed some option of boot in the BIOS so that I did not recognize the 2db hdd as master and when restarting, my laptop was in the state that is currently, I think it should not be hardware problem but I'm losing hope....

Have you tried to boot WITHOUT 2TB disk or any HDD/SSD for that matter - just to check that you can enter the bios ? ( to eliminate the possibility that the issue isn't due to the laptop but with one of the storage devices ? - I suggest you try that as well )

RMA outside of warranty is possible but for an old laptop might be waste of money - better invest in a new one.
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

Gps3dx wrote:

• G751JYAS.211
  • G751JY.211
  • G751JYAS.BIN
  • G751JY.BIN

YES!!! This worked for me!!!
I have formatted USB to FAT, put BIOS inthere in all this namings, inserted USB to Laptop, pressed power button and started hitting CTRL+HOME.
Screen turned on in like 5 sec and updating BIOS started.

I'm up and running and most likely will need to modify bios again to accept NVME SSD.

WIsh me luck!

totalchaos1990 wrote:
Hello

PS: Sorry for my English.

I left a comment on youpube.

Gps3dx wrote:

Windows Servicing Stack likes to mess with things....

@totalchaos and @sa_stilom

If you both get your G751 up and running again, make a text file with the following, and then rename it with .reg as the file extension, and then run it. This prevents windows update from downloading drivers during updates.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate]
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

Mind the spaces in "Win dows" and dword:00000001
There's not meant to be any spaces... but the forums is adding it