cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are USB 3.1 ports E5 and E6?

MorePower
Level 8
In the manual of the Maximus XI Extreme there are two USB ports named E5 and E6. What does the E mean?
I'm asking because when I connect my mouse to any of these ports my mouse will not work in the BIOS but while still in the BIOS if I unplug the mouse and plug it back in it starts to work. I have the Corsair RGB Elite and the RGB does come on briefly when starting the system but goes out when I enter the BIOS. All other USB ports seem to work fine with the mouse.
8 REPLIES 8

davemon50
Level 11
You'd probably have to address the question to one of the board designers, but my guess is that it stands for the Asmedia extended host controller, E for extended. If you have troubles with your devices in the E# ports and that were true, I'd focus on the Asmedia controller driver and also what is enabled in the BIOS.

But this is just a guess. 🙂
Davemon50

MorePower
Level 8
So if this is a extended USB host controller, how does it differentiate from the other USB ports? These are all USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports. They are the blue colored ones.

davemon50
Level 11
Do you have the Asmedia driver installed? Guessing you do but it's not on your download page for your mobo so must be on your flash drive. Your board had a BIOS update in October last year that said fixed USB device issue. Not sure what that means (cryptic description) but check you are running latest BIOS. I would suggest if Asmedia doesn't provide mouse support on startup you use one of the other Gen1 ports, you have a total of 6 and four are through Intel not Asmedia.
Davemon50

MorePower
Level 8
I have the latest BIOS 805. Hmm, I can't remember if I installed the Asmedia drivers. I'll have to check that. It might be something that is disabled in device manager too.

davemon50
Level 11
There are a couple options in BIOS. Check xHCI options also. I'm traveling so can't look indepth at the moment to see what you have available.
Davemon50

MorePower
Level 8
No problem. Thanks for the help.

davemon50
Level 11
Did you ever wind up resolving this?
Davemon50

MorePower
Level 8
For the time being I have them plugged into the other ports. I also sent an e-mail to ASUS for clarification but the only response I get is our motherboard engineers are looking into it.