cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G703GI i7-8750H LOCKED UNDERVOLTING

d_andros
Level 7
I just got a brand new G703GI i7-8750H.
I see it is impossible to change Core Voltage Offset in XTU. Slider is disabled (greyed out). Tweaking in ThrottleStop has no effect neither.
The only thing available in XTU is TurboBoost options. When I push them to unlimited I get 1230 points in Cinebench15. Otherwise it's around 970 on stock defaults. What bothers me is that everybody can undervolt i7-8750H to get a stable ~1200 points without throttling.
Do I need to mess around with BIOS to unlock it ? ASUS why did you lock it down?

My config:
----------------
G703GI i7-8750H
GTX 1080
32Gb memory
768Gb RAID0
BIOS 311
----------------
7 REPLIES 7

d_andros
Level 7
For the record. ASUS Gaming Center is using Intel XTU as an internal engine to apply its Extreme settings..
Another observation. I managed to apply somehow CPU Core Voltage Offset using ThrottleStop.
I still don't fully understand how it works. Then I went to BIOS and reset default settings to see what happens next. Custom voltage offset is gone. Now I cannot apply it again :mad:
not happy

I was not happy because I have to understand what I can achieve with this rig. and how long it will last. kind of normal questions to ask.
.. meanwhile I reset everything to stock settings.

In case someone is interested. Here is my score in time spy on Extreme settings.
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6255454

I get consistent results in Cinebench15: ~1000 in Balanced Mode and ~1230 in Overboost Mode.

I can also start 5 instances of VS2017 open about a hundred of large .net projects and build everything at the same time in a matter of seconds 🙂 6 cores comes very handy here. Proc temp spike up to 84° but still no throttling in Overboost mode.

Idle CPU temp 39° - 44°. In Silent Mode on Idle fans running <1600 rpm or even could stop. The only sound you hear is your spinning hard drive.

Could someone please share some results and comments about G703GI i7 versus i9 ??
Ok, both of them can run any game smoothly I got it.

I'm curious to know more about i9 perfs and cooling.
Is it possible to overclock i9 to make it calm down for example when I want it to be cool and quite.. during summer for example when it's very hot outside.

Its great to see that you managed to undervolt your rig. i am facing the same issue as well and i have no idea why on earth Asus will want to lock the voltage. At least let us do the same (ie. undervolt) like what other Asus ROG which comes with 8750h.

d.andros wrote:
For the record. ASUS Gaming Center is using Intel XTU as an internal engine to apply its Extreme settings..
Another observation. I managed to apply somehow CPU Core Voltage Offset using ThrottleStop.
I still don't fully understand how it works. Then I went to BIOS and reset default settings to see what happens next. Custom voltage offset is gone. Now I cannot apply it again :mad:
not happy

Got a New Asus ROG Laptop and facing the same issue here. Core voltage offset also greyed out in both XTU and Throttlestop.
How exactly did you get it to work in Throttlestop?
I dug around and the general solution was that I should reset bios. But the version of the bios I am using is the one which shipped with the laptop.
i7-10875-h @2.3GHz
Idle 50-60
Under Minor stress 78-79
Under Load/Intense Gaming 88-89 (Hits 90 once in a while as well)

MrRuckus
Level 10
As I understand it, the G703 is pretty much at full tilt out of the box. Meaning there is very little that can be modified in it outside of the Asus presets already defined in the Asus Gaming Center software. I was a little bit letdown at first as well since there is really very little 'tweaking' one can do if any, but its not all bad. The laptop pretty much out performs any other alternative with equivalent hardware. You say yourself, you're are getting over 1200 in cinebench and others get around 1200 without throttling. The T Junction for the 8750H is 100c, so you are well below that. The G703 chassis can also take an i9, which is going to be even more power hungry + more heat so you should have no issues with throttling, which from your scores, it looks like you dont.

Some others have reported without Asus gaming center, some settings can be modified, but from my experience with the G703 I had for a short while, I saw no benefit in removing it and doing the tweaking on my own. The software pretty much ran the laptop at the bleeding edge so I just conceded that I couldn't tweak all that much and left it.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

I decided to keep this laptop and I'm happy about it 🙂
Yes it is possible to undervolt it. However sometimes ThrottleStop settings don't apply. I guess that's because Asus Gaming Center is using Intel Extreme utility to manage its performance profiles. Maybe also related somehow when computer goes to sleep/resume.. I'm not a ThrottleStop expert. I came to conclusion that chasing for a super sweet spot in ThrottleStop is not worth it on this particular model.

It's doing very well on Asus Gaming Center profiles. If you need max perf just put it on Overboost mode. Asus call this switch "Fan Overboost" but it's not just fan. It also toggles TDP and TPL settings!

TS undervolting example

d.andros wrote:
I decided to keep this laptop and I'm happy about it 🙂
Yes it is possible to undervolt it. However sometimes ThrottleStop settings don't apply. I guess that's because Asus Gaming Center is using Intel Extreme utility to manage its performance profiles. Maybe also related somehow when computer goes to sleep/resume.. I'm not a ThrottleStop expert. I came to conclusion that chasing for a super sweet spot in ThrottleStop is not worth it on this particular model.

It's doing very well on Asus Gaming Center profiles. If you need max perf just put it on Overboost mode. Asus call this switch "Fan Overboost" but it's not just fan. It also toggles TDP and TPL settings!

TS undervolting example

it appears that G703 undervolt settings by TS will only apply when windows is resume from sleep. I learned that from one of the fellow in notebookreview forum. So every time i on my pc, will need to set windows to sleep and then resume before the settings will apply. No idea why but at least now i can uv my G703gi*:D
Mine stabled at -0.125 at both. Gaming in ultra settings BF V at <80C hovering around 70-75C most of the time. The downside is the fans kick in slower and stayed at lower speed so my Gpu temp went up around 3-5C @ 66C.

I wonder if there is anyway to adjust the GPU fan to kick in much earlier. I dont mind about the fan’s sound thou.*