cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable M.2 Ports?

cattywampus
Level 8
Hello,

I want to install other copies of Windows 10 on to separate SSD's for testing purposes, but in the past I have always had problems when doing so with other drives connected. Either the installation of the second version of Windows just fails altogether, or it breaks any original installs. I have in the past gotten around this by simply disabling the drive ports in the BIOS (I am a new ASUS motherboard owner, having been a long time Gigabyte user).

I cannot though find out how to disable the M.2 ports. I believe there are options to disable the SATA ports (though physically unplugging these is a simple task), but no options for M.2 disabling. This is particularly annoying as unlike unplugging the SATA drives, I do not have access to the M.2 ports easily as I have a small case that is hard to get into and I have to remove the heat spreader first and then put that back which is fiddly in a small space.

Either I have totally missed the option, the option is there but named something alien to me or the option does not exist. Having looked through all the options in the BIOS, I am leaning toward the latter option. Which would lead me to ask... is this something that ASUS would add in? It seems a bit weird that there is not a toggle for the M.2 ports.

I am using M.2_1 port as that has its own PCIe lanes.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

cattywampus
Level 8
Anyone? Anything? Plz halp! 🙂

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Bios Advanced and onboard devices should list all slots to enable or disable or really switch x8 mode to disable m.2.

Another one is advanced and PCH storage configuration disable hyper kit mode.

But for the most part disconnect all current installs then clean install and each install has it's own boot loader.
I imagine secure boot off is in order too 😄
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello

So I tried looking in the BIOS again for the relevent options you suggested. Unfortunately they all pertain to the M.2_2 slot. Like there seems to be an actual disable option for that port, but not M.2_1... which is bonkers.

I tried a few different settings and none of them disable the port.

Surely this is an oversight?

XXAD
Level 7
Hi how do you disable hyper m.2 in asus x570 bios.
Cant seem to find the option to disable it

I hope Asus can do something about this as dual-booting is very common and safest way is to disable the disk of the other operating system(s). I myself cannot trust Windows to not maul my Linux partitions and therefore really need this feature.

Even further, different preset boot modes where certain disks are enabled and others not would have been a very nice addition to the BIOS. So instead of enabling/disabling drives, you could simply select a preset you created.