cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hibernate dies instead

AaaayZeus
Level 7
I've never had this problem before my ROG, but on a too-frequent basis (maybe once every couple of weeks, when I push the power button to put the computer to sleep, it dies and reboots instead and I lose all my open windows and such. I've had to learn to carefully save everything manually before going to bed and shutting down the system because of this. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, great system overall, but why no regular END key? Seriously.
8 REPLIES 8

XYchromosone
Level 10
have you tried the fn + pause/break key combo? try it out without anything important not saved just to see if the system can go to sleep. Then hit any key to waik it up. This is simply a suggestion to see if your power system is working.

XYchromosone wrote:
have you tried the fn + pause/break key combo? try it out without anything important not saved just to see if the system can go to sleep. Then hit any key to waik it up. This is simply a suggestion to see if your power system is working.

That doesn't do anything. Maybe my version doesn't have a sleep function like that? I mean, I spent most time plugged in so I suppose there's no harm putting it to sleep instead of hibernate... maybe I need to try that.

AaaayZeus wrote:
That doesn't do anything. Maybe my version doesn't have a sleep function like that? I mean, I spent most time plugged in so I suppose there's no harm putting it to sleep instead of hibernate... maybe I need to try that.

Actually not all keyboards have the "fn" key so I should have asked if your keyboard has that key. I have a Razer Tournament keyboard as per my specs. I thought of it after I posted that you may not have the same functions on your keyboard.

But most keyboards should have a sleep key and that's what my suggestion was about, trying to see what putting your system to sleep does using a keyboard shortcut.

davemon50
Level 11
Try the first three things below, and if unsuccessful have a look at the fourth.

• Turn off hibernation completely in Windows power options. (No hibernate sleep, and hibernate never)
  • Turn off Windows fast startup in Windows power options (under what the power buttons do).
  • Check your settings under What the power and sleep buttons do in Windows power options.
  • If any peripherals are connected to your computer, try unplugging, especially USB devices.

You would get more help here if you posted what others need to know in order to help you. Your title talks about hibernation, yet your commentary talks about sleep, which is not exactly the same. You have not mentioned anything about your system or what is connected to it other than it's my ROG, and not filled out your system specs in your profile. If you do that others can help you better.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Try the first three things below, and if unsuccessful have a look at the fourth.

• Turn off hibernation completely in Windows power options. (No hibernate sleep, and hibernate never)
  • Turn off Windows fast startup in Windows power options (under what the power buttons do).
  • Check your settings under What the power and sleep buttons do in Windows power options.
  • If any peripherals are connected to your computer, try unplugging, especially USB devices.

You would get more help here if you posted what others need to know in order to help you. Your title talks about hibernation, yet your commentary talks about sleep, which is not exactly the same. You have not mentioned anything about your system or what is connected to it other than it's my ROG, and not filled out your system specs in your profile. If you do that others can help you better.

Whoops, you're right. It's hibernate, not sleep, but I'm thinking I could try switching the power button to sleep instead. The computer stays plugged in most of the time so it should be fine. I tried entering system specs in my profile, but can't find the page to do it. Or rather, I found the page, but the "customize" button doesn't seem to do anything in Chrome or Firefox.

Either way it's a Strix GL703GM

davemon50
Level 11
You need to look under Windows Power Options.

In W10, right-click the Windows Start button, and near the top of the context menu will be Power Options. On the left you will see the "what power buttons do" selection from my comment #3 above. In order to change the other options, you will need to go into the plan settings and change the power plan. It usually takes 2 clicks, one to change power plan, and the other to change advanced options. If you can't get to these things please post back and tell us what you did so we can assist.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
You need to look under Windows Power Options.

In W10, right-click the Windows Start button, and near the top of the context menu will be Power Options. On the left you will see the "what power buttons do" selection from my comment #3 above. In order to change the other options, you will need to go into the plan settings and change the power plan. It usually takes 2 clicks, one to change power plan, and the other to change advanced options. If you can't get to these things please post back and tell us what you did so we can assist.

I've changed them to sleep for now under the assumption that either Win10 or the RoG doesn't like hibernation. Either way, it would be a really hard problem to diagnose as examining event logs doesn't give much insight. We'll see if sleep instead of hibernate makes a difference. Thanks for the idea!

guidorivas
Level 7
There's a "quick boot" option in the advanced battery settings. What it does is that it hibernates the computer saving the current apps and states on disk...it seems you are having a problem with the quick boot function more than a button functionality.

In order to work, you should enable hibernation (you probably already have it enabled) so check if you have disabled hibernation in the advanced battery setup, like what to do when you push the power button while plugged in or not. Sometimes we disable the hibernation for some temporary reason and then we forgot it's implications.

Let us know if you have already tried all this so we can keep thinking new ways to fix it!