cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital audio connection

domfather
Level 7
Hi im trying to connect my Asus Maximus ix formula motherboard to my sound system Logitcz903 i had a problem with it were the sound does not come out correctly when using the effects of the unit. so i was told to try and connect it using a digital audio connection. I have since got this cable but its my first time using a digital audio connection like this.. and when I plug the optical cable in the back of the motherboard. nothing happens.. im unsure if its even being picked up by the computer or not. there were some plastic things on the tips that i removed first but when I plug in the standerd connection (3 cables green,orange and black) a messege pops up saying there connected..but nothing happened with the digital cable. sorry if im being stupid but is there a plastic thing on the back of this connection for the motherboard I need to remove for this connection to work? i cant tell if its supposed to be like this or not there seems to be like a small plastic square thing over the connection and when I put the cable in it flips into the connection so i dont no if its supposed to be like this or not but dont want to try and pull it out if its supposed to be like this. ...im really confused. :S
CPU: i7 7700k
GPU: EVGA 1080ti Kingpin
Ram: GSkill TridentZRGB 2x8 3200mhz
cooler: NZKT kraken x52
Psu: EVGA G2L 850watt
HD1: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB
HD2: WDCB 1T
HD3: WDCB 4T
Case: HAFX
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
There is no detection with the optical connection so you just want to make sure the cable is clicked in on both ends. You can also click it into the motherboard and look at the other end where you should see red light coming through.

Once the cable is connected you should go to the Windows audio properties and select the digital output as the default audio device. You can only play sound through one output at a time with Windows 10 so if you were using the 3.5mm jack you would have to change the output.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
There is no detection with the optical connection so you just want to make sure the cable is clicked in on both ends. You can also click it into the motherboard and look at the other end where you should see red light coming through.

Once the cable is connected you should go to the Windows audio properties and select the digital output as the default audio device. You can only play sound through one output at a time with Windows 10 so if you were using the 3.5mm jack you would have to change the output.

thanks for replying. im a little confused if this is working correctly or not. am i right in thinking that when connected via SPDIF the speaker tab under supream FX is disregarded? because when i do connect via SPDIF i get no sound when clicking the play button in that setting for anything and also under studio sonic 3 all the options for different presets and equalization are grayd out when connected via SPDIF. yet under windows 10 in playback properties for realtec digital output it is ticked and i am able to test and hear DTS and Dolby Digital aswell as the sample rates in the properties window under supported formats tab. yet the config and set as default on the main playback tab for all devices are grayd out under realtec digital output. is this normal? how do I know 5.1 is working correctly as it should?

xeromist
I'm not sure how the software interacts with digital connections. Since you are sending raw digital signals and it is being decoded on the other end you may not have as much control. When you are using an analog connection everything is processed on-board so any effects or post processing are easy to do.

***Moved to IX board sub-forum
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I'm not sure how the software interacts with digital connections. Since you are sending raw digital signals and it is being decoded on the other end you may not have as much control. When you are using an analog connection everything is processed on-board so any effects or post processing are easy to do.

***Moved to IX board sub-forum

yea you see the problem with that though was if I did set it to 3 jacks I would not get sound properly. I dont quite no know to explain it but some videos would play fine wast others would play but when there was speech in the movie the sound was echoed and was very faint or was not playd at all . I also found that recorded audio in mono would not play either and in games for example The division. reloading a weapon would have no sound and sertin speech from npcs and cutseens would have no sound.. sound would only come in those instances if I set the effects off on the receiver. but the souround sound effect that was coming from the speakers was very faint and it just sounded flat unlike when I switched on the effects on the resiver. so that's kind of why I went to try optical connection. but now the problem is its not getting picked up via realtec software for some resson and im unable to adust the effects in sonic studio or configure to 5.1 in windows 10 since configer is grayd out. sounds seem to be playing correctly now. but im just not sure if its actualy set up for 5.1 because I have no way to actually test this. there are you tube videos but from my understanding they only give 2 channel. so im not sure how to test if its working correctly or not.

xeromist
I've never tried these but Fraunhoffer has a test page. Worth a shot:
https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html

Regarding the built in Logitech effects I'm not surprised they didn't work. Sometimes those are just an algorithmic best guess as to what the surround field was supposed to be. When a movie starts mixing vocal tracks in non-standard ways like putting them in a surround channel rather than center, you can lose them entirely. If you can get the digital connection to work that should take a lot of the guesswork away from the processor since all audio will have discrete channel encoding.