cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Voltage OC on z390F exceeds limit

Jc_852
Level 7
I am running my 9700k on all core 5ghz using adaptive voltage.
The turbo voltage is set to be 1.3v and the offset is +0.001*
The maximum voltage shown in bios menu is 1.301v

After I run the cpuz, I find that the voltage - 1.345 max 1.335 under load
Why there is 0.04v added unexpectedly?:confused:
*I set LLC level5, turned off MCE and maximized the current limit.

What’s wrong with the set up?
Is there any way to solve this besides using manual voltage?*
Thanks for reading!
17 REPLIES 17

rjbarker
Level 11
The key to voltage are what VID is.....what you set in BIOS...what desktop idle is and what 100% Load is.....write these numbers down and play with adjusting settings and Loadline Calibration.......try and find the lowest possible vcore (under load) stable....once you start playing around with the Adaptive Voltage and LLC...running and noting voltages under load....you;ll start to see the pattern .....some vDroop and some overshoot.....the end goal is stil the same....

rjbarker wrote:
The key to voltage are what VID is.....what you set in BIOS...what desktop idle is and what 100% Load is.....write these numbers down and play with adjusting settings and Loadline Calibration.......try and find the lowest possible vcore (under load) stable....once you start playing around with the Adaptive Voltage and LLC...running and noting voltages under load....you;ll start to see the pattern .....some vDroop and some overshoot.....the end goal is stil the same....

Thank you, rjbarker. I now set the value to 1.28 and offset -0.010
*idle 0.660 .... max 1.315 .... under load 1.305
Is it normal to have a higher voltage than the one in bios?*

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Yes, this is normal. It is not possible to set the Additional Turbo Voltage to less than the stock VID for a given ratio without the use of the offset function.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Yes, this is normal. It is not possible to set the Additional Turbo Voltage to less than the stock VID for a given ratio without the use of the offset function.

I often get confused with VID and Vcore. Does vcore refer to the reading of cpuz and vid is the value in bios?
I think 1.305-1.315 is an acceptable value for 9700k to run at 5ghz, should I try keep lowering for better temp?*
Really appreciate your help!*

rjbarker
Level 11
Im presently Adaptive 1.285v w LLC 6 (no AVX Offset) and no Voltage Offset.....into 7 Hrs of P95 Blend ...temps are warm considering a Custom Loop...P95 latest with AVX disabled

Under Full load Prime or Realbench vDroop to 1.265v - 1.279v .....
Max Temps 69c - 81c (Extreme upper limit with all cores at 100% Load)

Idle desktop is 1.31v - 1.323v (VID)

Memory XMP Profile 32G @ 3200 CAS 16 1T
SVID Best Case Scenario "Auto"

Trying LLC 5 drops my load voltage to around 1.225v which isnt enough for this Chip @ 5Ghz unfortunately.....and raising vCore to 1.295v with LLC 5 still results in 1.225v under load...not enough...so either leave LLC @ level 5 and contine to raise vcore or leave vcore and raise LLC to level 6.....what I have narrowed down here since yesterday is my Chip requires somewhere between 1.24v - 1.279v for 5 Ghz.....and lengthy P95 session

My chip is under 240mm AIO cooling and the cores reached 67 C max( not yet hammered my chip, just normal test bench)
I am going to lower the voltage a little bit more to acheive 1.28 underload I think
My Bios version have no Auto offset value so yeah I will just leave it at -0.01
What is the function of SVID? I set it to best case scenario according to the oc guides...*
It is described as having better temp like that in bios*

Anyway, thanks again for your sharing!*

Jc.852 wrote:
My chip is under 240mm AIO cooling and the cores reached 67 C max( not yet hammered my chip, just normal test bench)
I am going to lower the voltage a little bit more to acheive 1.28 underload I think
My Bios version have no Auto offset value so yeah I will just leave it at -0.01
What is the function of SVID? I set it to best case scenario according to the oc guides...*
It is described as having better temp like that in bios*

Anyway, thanks again for your sharing!*

I hit 80c stress testing my 5 Ghz OC with a Custom Loop using 480*360*240 Radiators.....if youre only hitting 67c Max with a 240 AIO you arent stress testing properly 😉

rjbarker wrote:
I hit 80c stress testing my 5 Ghz OC with a Custom Loop using 480*360*240 Radiators.....if youre only hitting 67c Max with a 240 AIO you arent stress testing properly 😉

Try both Realbench for 15 min or P95 Small FTT for 1 Hr.......report back your temps ....guarenteed you'll be well beyond 67c !!!

I ran prime95 small fft test and there is rounding errors in 2 cores and result errors after few minutes in other 2. The other 4 work as normal..
This happened because of setting problem? It is using multi threading and 9700k does't have it.
Does this mean my oc is unstable? Max temp is 88C after an hour.