cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Computer Build

Othello
Level 7
I have recently been trying to upgrade my existing FX8350 PC initially using the following items

ASUS Prime X470-Pro
AMD 2700X CPU
ASUS Strix Vega 64 graphics card
G Skill 32GB kit P/N F4-3200C 16Q-32GTZRX
Samsung 970 EVO M2 1TB drive

I could not get the ASUS MB to post reliably and after discussing the issue with ASUS tech it was decide to RMA the board. Got Newegg to process the RMA an give a me a store credit since I wanted a different MB.

Going forward I decided to get a new case, power supply and AIO cooler and different MB.
So, placed the order for the following:

Corsair Graphite series 780T full tower case
Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200w power supply
Corsair H150i AIO
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero MB

I did update the BIOS to the latest for both MB.

Was unable to get this MB to function correctly as well. The only way I was able to get it to POST was by having 2 graphics cards installed on the MB and even with that it would boot into windows reliably. So ASUS had me RMA this board. Now the replacement board has been lost or stolen during shipment. So the fun continues.

I'm going to order another ASUS ROG Crosshair VII hero MB but was looking for thoughts on the memory I currently purchased or should I order some different memory along with my MB purchase, your thoughts would be appreciated!!!
10 REPLIES 10

MeanMachine
Level 13
There is no listing for a 32GB (2X16) F4-3200C 16Q-32GTZRX on the MB QVL so they have not been tested. Not to say they will not work however rather demanding on the IMC.

As they are OC RAM (and if they work, no guarantee) then they would default to 2133 or 2666MHz on initial startup. To attain their rated SPD would involve Bios Tweaking of Primary Timings and DRAM Voltage.

If they refuse to play fair then test with another kit that are known to work and listed on the MB QVL.

Do you really need 32GB.?
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
There is no listing for a 32GB (2X16) F4-3200C 16Q-32GTZRX on the MB QVL so they have not been tested. Not to say they will not work however rather demanding on the IMC.

As they are OC RAM (and if they work, no guarantee) then they would default to 2133 or 2666MHz on initial startup. To attain their rated SPD would involve Bios Tweaking of Primary Timings and DRAM Voltage.

If they refuse to play fair then test with another kit that are known to work and listed on the MB QVL.

Interestingly the F4-3200C16Q-32GTZRX (4x8GB) have the C7H[WIFI] and several other Asus motherboards on their QVL. Especially interesting given the 4 DIMMs...

I run the F4-3200C14D-32GTZ (2x16GB) on the C7HWIFI and neither are on each others QVL but it works at 3200 MHz.

MeanMachine wrote:

Nobody who opts for 32GB+ likes to hear this... Everyone has their reasons.

MeanMachine wrote:

Do you really need 32GB.?[/QUOTE]

Its the natural transition moving forward. in the computing world...16G was yesterday....building a new Rig....go with a 32G Kit today!! Either 4 * 8G or 2*16G Kits...

MeanMachine
Level 13
Even micro coding devs have had issue with Ryzen which as you know is picky with RAM. Only now with Ryzen Gen 2 have we seen better RAM matching with AGESA.
Of all the Ryzen builds so far, not one of the kits selected have worked out of the box without me Tweaking Bios.

Quote/Interestingly the F4-3200C16Q-32GTZRX (4x8GB) have the C7H[WIFI] and several other Asus motherboards on their QVL. Especially interesting given the 4 DIMMs...EndQuote/

If your going by the RAM vendors QVL then all I can say is they tell lies!!!

Quote/MeanMachine

Nobody who opts for 32GB+ likes to hear this... Everyone has their reasons.

I'm sure your correct however the fact is, If you go beyond JDEC standard OCs then you'd better know your Bios. Gone are the plug and play days.
What were your reasons btw.?

Quote/ Its the natural transition moving forward. in the computing world...16G was yesterday....building a new Rig....go with a 32G Kit today!! Either 4 * 8G or 2*16G Kits...Endquote/

Due to the current expensive nature of DDR4, It's NOT natural nor frugal to consider a kit of 32GB and more. (if your most intensive task is AAA gaming then you don't need more than 16GB.) If extensive video editing or rendering is what you need (or bragging rights) Faster RAM (and more of it) then expect to encounter issues.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
If your going by the RAM vendors QVL then all I can say is they tell lies!!!

As gupsterg linked in the C7H Essential thread, The Stilt's famous quote applies:
You can (and should) wipe your ass with the QVL list.

The benefit of QVL seems to be more in case of warranty issues where it'll be easier to have manufacturers accept to deal with the problem without blaming it on incompatible hardware.

Ultimately others' prior experience with specific SKUs seems to be the most reliable indicator.

MeanMachine wrote:

I'm sure your correct however the fact is, If you go beyond JDEC standard OCs then you'd better know your Bios. Gone are the plug and play days.
What were your reasons btw.?
[...]
If extensive video editing or rendering is what you need (or bragging rights) Faster RAM (and more of it) then expect to encounter issues.

Machine learning, and the ease of upgrading to 64GB eventually.

Luckily it was plug and play for me with DOCP, but BIOS tweaking seems necessary to get the most out of the hardware.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I received my replacement MB on Monday 2/18/2019 and proceeded to get this build done. I initially installed only 2 sticks of the RAM in A2 and B2 slots. Once everything was installed applied power and low and behold after a few seconds it posted. Yea!!!!!!!

I was able to boot into windows and complete install of all drivers at which time I shutdown and installed the remaining RAM modules. System booted up into windows with no issues. Next I went into the BIOS and changed it to use D.O.C.P. and rebooted successfully into windows. So far everything is working as I had hoped. Oh yea, I updated the BIOS to 1201 before I did anything initially.

Currently have the CPU at 4.1GHz and memory at 3200MHz with no issues. I have not done any stress testing yet but will in the near future.

Oh, and my reason for 32GB of memory is for the when I do photo and video editing.

So you have F4-3200C16Q-32GTZRX 32GB (4x8GB) successfully running on the C7H at 3200 MHz with DOCP? Good to know. I'm sure future buyers and upgraders will find this info useful.

Stress test validation will give confidence, but just the fact that it posted is a good start.

I now have 32GB of G Skill F4-2933C14D-32GFX. So, my question is do you think these would be better than my current quad 32GB memory config?

MeanMachine
Level 13
@gorpo
That famous quote by the STILT re: the QVL is referring to the RAM manufacturers QVL and not the MB manufacturers QVL.
The benefit of the MB QVL as a reference to what has been tested and known to work is INVALUABLE.

@Othello
That kit G Skill F4-2933C14D-32GFX are known to work and with 14CL and (2x16) would be easier on the IMC, slightly better performance and a good reason for 32GB.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]